Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Rugged week ~ mixed emotions ~ sorry long

The past week has been so stressful. Work related. Due to construction at our hospital, they needed to move things around. They decided to close down 1/2 our unit to use the space for another unit. The result being that now our unit would be over staffed. So, human resources came in and restructured how our unit was to be staffed. And who got to stay was decided by senority. I lost my position to someone who had more years in than me. She wanted my job and took it ~ night shift position 7p-7a. What was left to choose from by the time they got to me were two day time (7a-7p) positions. So I took one of those. It is going to be a major life change. I have always worked the night shift ~ 20 some years now. I loose my shift differential ~ cut in pay. I chose to work nights ~ I am quiet and shy ~ too many people around in the day time.

I am kind of scared ~ I have never worked this shift. I don't have a clue how to live and work this shift. I know it probably sounds silly. What time do I need to get up in the morning, what time do I need to go to bed at night. What time to eat my meals. I've heard the ladies who work days talk about it being so busy that they didn't even have time to eat. I get irritable and can't think straight if I get too hungry. If I have to wait to eat supper until I get home, it will be late ~ too close to bed time ~ I am not supposed to eat too close to bed time because of acid reflux.

Just the whole work thing. I know my routine on my shift. I don't know it on the day shift.

I am trying to find positive things about it ~ because I have no choice. I will like being able to sleep at night every night instead of switching back and forth between days and nights. I think it will be better for my health in the long run. I am hoping that I might even be better able to "battle the bulge" by having this schedule. Often times now, I choose the wrong foods because I am too tired to bother with a better choice. And I don't exercise like I should because I am too tired.

I start my new shift Oct. 4th.

Hanging in there........
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

That does suck to have your position snatched from you like that. I used to work third in a nursing home and i loved it. You will LOVE your days off now. It will feel like you have an extra day, that is how it felt for me anyway...since you are battling being too tired etc. Plus a busier day means the time will go by faster...i bet it will just fly by, as opposed to dragging a bit at night. i bet you will lose weight easier, busy means less time sitting and less time to think about food. I would try to make an effort to have 3 good meals but you may be able to focus less on food now. I wish you well, it will be an adjustment but you might be glad you did it in the long run.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #3  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I am not a nurse so I can not relate to the shift work you do nor the actual jobs you all perform in the hospitals. (I do want to say I admire you all very much and have a deep respect for nurses. The nurses when my Dad was dying not only tended to him but were there for us as well when we just needed to talk.)

Getting back to the change in lifestyle. Try to think of all you can that's positive. I had a job change two years ago and regret my choice quite frequently. Although it was my own choice as opposed to what you are going through I try everyday to get my act together and be the best I can be. As far as food choices and your way of eating plan just keep plugging along. Don't let this side track you. You might have a few slip ups trying to find your way but I thinkyou can do it. You are doing so well.

18 pounds is AWESOME!!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Gayle, I know how you must feel. I am a night person as well.

I think it will be a big adjustment--HUGE!!--but you can persevere.

Depending on how long your commute is, wake up between 5-6, eat a hearty breakfast so you won't get hungry later, and bedtime probably somewhere around 9pm? I'm not sure, I know you'll have to change it up as it comes.

Good luck!!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #5  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Gayle -

Sorry this big change has been thrown at you with no warning. I'm sure you'll need some time to "mourn" the loss of your previous lifestyle but as others have said, maybe eventually you'll really benefit from this change. Or maybe new opportunities will come along.

Either way, remember that the best way to take care of yourself is with yummy healthy food and at least a bit of exercise to relieve your stress. You'll come through this! We're here for you.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #6  

Hi Gayle...
I totally understand your frustration. I'm a night gal too...and I very much hear what you are saying about loving the night shift. "Less people" is a big one for me. I love just bee-bopping around...getting my stuff done without the interference of management, other departments, etc. We don't have that problem at our facility...they basically have to beg people to work nights.

Anyways....I'm sure your new shift will take some getting used to. But like others said...it might end up being better in the long run. I've seen tons of studies about "night shift workers"...and most of them aren't very good. Anything from being sick more often, being more overweight, to premature death...yeeeek....(maybe I should join you on the day shift). Once you settle into your routine...you may find you like it better?? Change is hard for me too...I tend to stress pretty easily when change is involved...which for me leads to throwing my weight loss plan out the window. This doesn't have to be you though....just think ...you'll have more scheduled eating times..(i.e. eating when normal people eat..I call it). And it sounds like sleeping at night when it's dark appeals to you. I think it will be alright....we will be here with you every step of the way...k? Good luck and keep us updated...

Luv,
Liv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm hoping that once you start, you'll get used to the day shift and even enjoy it. I've also read that day workers are a bit more healthy than night workers so that's a positive. Be sure and let us know how it goes.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #8  

Hi Gayle, just wanted to send you some I think it's fantastic how you've chosen to find the positives rather than just dwell on the negatives, and I have every confidence in your ability to make the best of whatever situation is thrown your way. Good luck, you're gonna be just fine!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #9  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face I was a vampire shifter too

I worked twelve and a half years of midnight shift. Mine was police dispatching. I loved the shift for probably some of the same reasons you did. I didn't like being around the day shift people and I actually enjoyed being up at night. I thought it suited me well. But when my job moved too far away, I found another police dispatching job and started evening shift. Instead of 0000-0800 I was working 1530-2300 (three-thirty to eleven-thirty PM). There was a period of adjustment, but I truly love it now. I feel better. I didn't even know I felt bad before. I'm nicer and I've adjusted quite well.

I hope you adjust too. I bet you will. Just hang in there. I'm rooting for you.
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I didn't mean to be whiny. I'm not good at change. It could be worse. In this day and age with so many people out of work, I am lucky to have a job. The first day I start the day shift, my coworker who will be working with me ~ neither of us has ever worked the day shift ~ it is going to be an interesting day ~
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

You are NOT being whiney. It's no fun when your life changes and it's out of your control!! You can always come here to vent!

Please let us know how it goes.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #12  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Gayle! You are NOT going to believe this! I work nights, 7p-7a also, an RN at a hospital also...AND we are at a hiring freeze housewide, and are actually losing about three day nurses....so in order to get through the "crisis" either we have to give up our 12s and go back to 8 hr swing shifts (I WILL NEVER EVER EVER GO BACK TO 8s!) or we have to take turns 4 weeks at a time, go to days 7a-7p....so I'm first up....my first shift will be on MONDAY !

I've only been on my night shifts for about 7 years (long enough though!) and my reasons are different than yours (I'm not particularly shy,etc) but I don't look foreward to the docs and the hussle bussle not knowing where your patients are, tests, meals, visitors, etc...I like my night routine too. I remember when I went to nights thinking finally I can give the kind of care I should be giving, I got to spend a little time and TLC with these people.

I'm keeping an open mind about the actual work load....on a typical night, we might have 6-9 patients (depending on whether there is an aide or if I'm in charge) and on days, we have 4-6 TOPS. Plus two nurse aides, not just one or one for half a shift. Like you, I'm hoping the pace will help my weight loss, it's definitely more leg work, walking, and maybe I can get outside and walk on my lunch break. I guess I'll only get to the gym on days off, I just won't go after such a long day. Or maybe I will, lets see! Plus I have a ton of friends on the day shift too so it will be nice work with them again.

My biggest problem is what to do with my child care situation. Currently- I work my night, my DH takes my 2yr old to day care (our hospital provides the BEST child care) and for now, the 7 yr old to day care also, around 7am. I get off at 7:30 and hop over to the day care, pick up the 7 yr old and take him home and put him on the school bus. Then I can sleep all day, get up in time to go to the gym, get home get DS off bus and go pick up DD from daycare and come home, make dinner, DH gets home around 5:30. Then either I go back to work or have the evening with the family. So now....I can get DD to day care in the morning (maybe by 6:30a or so) but I need someone to get DS on the bus by 8:20, and pick him up at 4:15. Then is my DD supposed to be at daycare until almost 6 when DH gets home? Does she have to be at the daycare from the time it opens til the time it closes? But I only work 3 days a week, so it's not like it's going to be all day every day. But still. So I think my in-laws are going to help us out, and maybe pick her up early before DH gets home. *sigh* its just so inconvenient when what we are doing already works for us.

Well at least my dilemma is only for 4 weeks....so sorry someone "bumped" you off your shift. I don't suppose you are considering looking for a transfer or a new position? At least give it a chance and try to keep and open mind, and check back in next week, and I'll do the same. How funny I was just going to post something similar. I think once we get past the "I'm not a morning person" thing, we should be fine, and the speedy pace should make it go FAST. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 156.2/147.2/130

Height: 5'6"

Gayle- Having experienced all three shift environments, I really think that the one plus of day shift is weight control. You will be amazed at the amount of walking you do. I wore a pedometer to work to prove to my dh that I was getting excercise at work, (he has a desk job), and consistently logged at least 6 miles on the day shift (7a-7p). Bring your healthy meals, but also, bring pocket snacks that fit your meal plan. That way, when you don't get to eat at your regular meal time, you have a meal replacement bar in your pocket to keep your blood sugar wnl. If there was no time to sit around noon for my lunch, I would eat my "replacement" while I worked, and then when I could sit for 20 minutes or so around 4 pm. I ate my lunch, called it dinner, and then wasn't starving when I got home. Usually too tired to even think about eating then. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your new job, and that it pays unexpected benefits. Don't fall into the hospital cafeteria trap, I don't know about yours, but ours never, never had anything healthy and appealing to offer. Val
rebuildnola is offline   Reply With Quote