Old 10-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #91  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I know how you feel I lost my Dad a few years ago. I was just writing this to someone else and it would seem to fit here too. Turning to food is such a hard thing to over come so when I saw this it impressed me that he would do that.

"I have been watching the biggest loser and something that caught my attention was when the blue team lost there challenge their coach came in right while they were fixing dinner. He made them put it away and took them to the gym to exercise. He did not want them to associate there loss with food. That hit home with me. I know I self medicate with food and that is the main thing I have to overcome to keep this weight off."

So get back to what you know is right Michelle. I know how hard it is but we can do this.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #92  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

HOWIE...Thank you for your kind words. I know it is so hard to stay on track during a time like this, but I also know that I do not want to put my pounds back on, that were so hard to get off in the first place! I watch the Biggest Loser also, and I did see that episode, and you're so right, that makes great sense! Thank you for bringing that to my attention, and again, thank you for your kind words.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #93  
Born Loser

Your welcome. That is what this place is for. Kind words when needed and harsh ones when appropriate. We all can do this if we stick together.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Michelle, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so glad you're posting on the boards and getting the support and encouragement you need to stay on track with your weight loss. You've already come so far!

Howie, I'm glad to see you back on this thread! Your stats are so inspiring to me, and a little setback certainly doesn't change that. You know how to lose weight (clearly!), so you know what you have to do and you're doing it -- THAT is inspiring too, just knowing that you can get back on track and come here to support and encourage other people too. Someone said on another thread that maintaining is harder than losing, and I think that's probably VERY true.

We can all do this together! Let's post in this thread often...and when we hit that New Year's Goal, we'll just set another one!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #95  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I lost my Dad 2 years ago and quickly gained almost 30 lbs. I did this 20 years ago when my real dad died and I believe that's led to the start of my massive weight gain. I am just now getting around to losing some of that weight. Michelle, it's awseome that you have recognized that you are medicating your grief with food. I totally do that. But in the end, it really doesn't help. I think you'd feel a ton better if you medicated with exercise.

So sorry for your loss.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #96  

LISA & SANDI...Thank you both so much for your support and kindness. I'm definitely getting back on track with my exercise, because I also think it will help me with releasing tension that I've been building up. I love this site and I'm so happy I found this thread. I will post often here and keep up with all of you.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Smile Hi

Dear Michelle,
I know how you feel and you have my sympathy. Last year I lost my sister and that left me the last one of my immediate family. It threw me for a loop. Even tho there are children and grandchildren, being the last of your family is a stange feeling. I yo yoed some and didn't do my writing. Finally I had a talk with myself and am taking renewed care of my health and my writing and losing the weight.
There are a lot of stages to grief and we'll be here if you need to talk.
Maybe you can kick my can to doing more exercise.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #98  

CAROL...Thank you for your kind words. That would be a strange feeling to be the last of your immediate family left. What's hard for my sister and I is that it's just the two of us, along with our own families, left out here in Oregon. All of our family, grandmas, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, all live in Iowa, and it would help to be around some of them for support. I miss all of them and wish we were closer, but my sister and I are close and we are out here to be where my mom is. The grieving has its ups and downs, because it hasn't even been two weeks yet since she passed away. The weather also has a lot to do with my moods, because when it's sunny out, it helps out so much!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Smile Hello

A gloomy day can make a big differance, can't it, Michelle?
Nice you have your sister so close. I have an aunt that I am close to.

I came up to the office to write and to get out of the kitchen.

I need to get back to my Ty-Bow. My diabetes would be better if I did.

Guess we all have more than one goal. I feel like I can make it all the way now, especially with so many encouraging friends.

Don't forget to take care of you.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #100  
Born Loser

Made it through the weekend pretty good. I had my treat meal Friday and then Saturday I made a big batch of chili. Cold weather and soup YUM! Yesterday I made french toast in the morning and had left over chili in the afternoon. Stayed pretty close to my calories on Saturday and Sunday so I'm happy with that.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #101  

I made it through the weekend too -- had a piece of birthday cake yesterday, but I planned for it and made sure it fit into my day. Had some movie popcorn Saturday too, but I planned for that as well! I took a nice long walk (70 minutes) on Saturday and did a 40 minute walk/jog Sunday plus some quick all-over strength training. My official weigh-in is tomorrow morning, but I weighed this morning and it said 231, which is a 2-pound loss from last week. I hope it says the same thing tomorrow!

I plan to go to the gym after work and burn some more calories! Just a few more weeks and I should hit my New Year's goal!!

My new goal is to be halfway to goal by my 35th birthday on December 12. I believe if I consistently lose 2 pounds a week, I'll hit it, but we all know you can't always count on consistent weight loss no matter what you do. If I make it, I will have lost 55 pounds total and I'll be halfway to my goal of 165!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #102  
Born Loser

I did my goals in 10% increments. Making it to the 50% mark is a big milestone. I know you can do it. I also went hiking this weekend. Went for 1hr hike yesterday. It was beautiful out. Sure is nice to get out and walk it makes me feel so much better. With my new job I have a built in walk routine because I walk to work every day. 1 mile each way. So I know I will at least get 40 minutes of exercise in each weekday.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #103  

Howie, I do my goals in all kinds of different ways in my head. Can you tell I'm obsessed? I probably think about it too much.

When I started this whole thing on July 18, I split up the 110 pounds I want to lose into 4 pieces and set mini-goals based on that. I'm halfway to the second one now, so I'm really starting to think about that halfway point toward the ultimate goal.

When I weigh myself each week, though, I kind of think in terms of "decades," like...what "ten" am I in now? I was in the 270s, then the 260s, then the 250s, etc. It feels so good to reach a new "decade," so that probably keeps me going more than anything. When all is said and done, I will have lost eleven "decades!"
Old 10-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #104  

I hit my New Year's goal!!

Wooooooohooooooo!!! I was pretty shocked that I lost 4 pounds this past week, but that got me to 229, which was my original New Year's goal! I'm way ahead of schedule, so that will hopefully make up for any slip-ups I have in the near future (not that I'm planning to, but you never know...)

Now I'm focusing on my Birthday goal, which is to get to 220 by December 12. I should be able to hit it, as long as I can stay away from all the holiday treats that will come my way before then!!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #105  
Born Loser

WAY TO GO LISA! Keep up the good work. I know you can make your birthday goal.