Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 PM   #16  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oooh, what a beautiful scene Kykaree. I think it sounds fantastic. And since it's a big holiday destination for Brits that should be reassuring to know there there will be lots who aren't thin.

I agree that this should be an enjoyable opportunity, not something to stress over. If you lose some weight before the trip, that's great, but don't let your enjoyment hinge on whether you've met an arbitrary goal.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #17  
One pound at a time...

Linda, Go for it! I understand your feelings, I feel it everytime I go out of my house (sometimes). Concentrate on building your stamina for sure, but do not concentrate on a date you need to lose X pounds. That kind of thinking has always set me up failure. I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, as the saying goes. Go, enjoy, relax and post lots and lots of pics!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
My most recent trip was to China, where no one is fat. I really do mean no one. In the big cities, certain people were a bit pudgy but in the smaller cities, everyone was skinny. I wasn't bothered and it was never an issue.
I've been to China several times and lived there for 2 months in 2004 -- I definitely had some people bring it up. Once, when I was huffing and puffing my way up the Great Wall, a man asked me "How much you weigh? 100 kilos? [220 pounds]" I was so stunned I couldn't say anything. His English was not good enough for me to get into a discussion about how rude that comment is in the US.

My husband used to have (!) a very big belly, and in markets, people would rub it, and usually point to a smiling fat Buddha and laugh. Rubbing the belly of the Buddha is supposed to be good luck, and they were having fun with him, trying to get luck.

None of it was mean spirited, but definitely DIFFERENT...

But that's kind of off topic from the question, huh?

Linda, that sounds like a blast! Honestly, go and have fun! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, whatever weight you are! When I travelled to Asia I weighed upwards of 280 and managed fine (though slower than I would now)... Don't let your weight dictate your life!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #19  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

You have the chance to visit a new place for 17 days and you're worried about your weight? Uh, uh, uh!!!!! Take a more positive attitude- let it motivate you to continue losing weight (in a healthy manner, of course), and have fun planning your trip!

Folks, stop worrying about what others think or say about your weight. Look at it this way, if they're commenting about your appearance, then they're giving someone else's appearance a break. Seriously, anyone who needs to make another person feel small (in terms of self esteem) to make themselves taller (in terms of their own self esteem) has their own insecurities to deal with. Pity them, and enjoy yourself!!!!!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote