Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Question Arm Bike or UB

Hi Chicks,

I was wondering if anyone here uses the arm bike at the gym. I have never used it before except for physical therapy a while back. I was wondering if anyone knows if it works the triceps and/or what other muscles. I tried it today and it seemed to work my arms pretty well.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #2  
Downsizing Dee!

Sorry I can't help - I had to do a search to find a picture of what you were talking about. I'm certainly not a gym bunny
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know what muscles it works but I do know what you are talking about. I think really your best bet is to stick with weights if you want to work your muscles.

My reasoning is...

The best cardio to be reached is through moving your largest muscles, your legs by walking, biking, running, ellipticalling, stepping, etc. You will get some cardio benefits from the arm bike but I think your best time spent is on a regular cardio machine.

The best weight training to be reached is by using weights (or your own body weight) to work your muscles to failure and targetting various muscle groups. You do get some muscle benefits from cardio but really it is limited. The arm bike really isn't meant as a muscle trainer and it may take your arms to failure but not as effectively as weights.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote