Baby needed a new pair of shoes...

• Running shoes!
    Just got back from the store with my first pair of true running shoes. Not gym shoes, not walking shoes, but running shoes. Of course I'll be at most "jog shuffling" in them for the forseeable future, but it's still a nice step in the right direction.

SO's shoes are comming via UPS, probably sometime this week, and next week we plan to start the first day of a 7-month couch to 5k plan. We are actually working on it as a jogging plan, rather than running, and then we'll switch when our knees tell us it's okay. Slow and steady. I might use this thread as a record of the jouney, be it drama, comedy, or tragedy.

Can 2 fat broads run together without driving each other crazy?....
  • LOL! How fun! It'll be fun to follow along in your drama! I've read that plan and hope to try it soon also. I'm a little iffy about my knees at this point though. So sticking with the low-impact.

P.S. By the title, I was running in here to tell you all about these shoes I just bought my 14 months old! They are so cute that I cannot wait to get her dressed each morning!!
  • I need some good running shoes. I have a decent pair of New Balances, but they tend to rub a blister on one of my toes sometimes (way TMI, I know). What'd you buy? I'm intrigued by the couch to 5k plan, is that something you devised (or am I way out of the loop)? I've always wished I could be a runner. Of course at this point, I'm not even a "jog-shuffler" . I'm iffy about my knees too, Nori. Who knows, maybe I could work my way up... Keep us updated!
  • I bought Asics (uhh, looking up the part number) Duomax gt-2110 (black). I've read some very good reviews for them (performance and comfort wise), and the guy at the shoe store (who was very nice and didn't seem to notice that I'm too fat to run ) agreed that they were one of the best shoes.

I also bought some Spenco PolySorb Walker/Runner replacement insoles. As their name indicates, they go in instead of the insoles that come with the shoe, and they are about twice as comfy and shock absorbing. (I don't want my knees to run away when I'm not looking.) Oh, and some socks (they were on sale).

The couch to 5k has been around for a while, and there are now several hanging around on the net. I just used google and searched "couch to 5k". coolrunning.com has a pretty famous one, but we're actually using one from beginnertriathlete.com (NOT because I'm crazy and think I'll ever be a triathlete, but because they have a conservative 7 month version, most are 5 monthers.) Oh, and basically the plans start you out walking a little bit each day, then the next week you add in 1 or 2 minutes of running (or in our case jogging) a day. Then the next week another minute, etc etc, until you are running (jogging) a 5k. You kind of "sneak into it" before your body knows what you're doing.

Nori- I have a secret weakness for baby shoes! I LOVE them. Especially the ones that look exactly like tiny adult shoes. Every time I go to a shoe store I have to fight the urge to buy a pair.
  • I will enjoy hearing all about your journey!! Best of luck to you!!
  • Good luck - and well done for getting proper running shoes before you start, it makes a huge difference. (Sort out a sports bra too )
  • Thanks, Jen. I'll have to look into that.
  • Congrats on the shoes!! I have New Balance also. But, I am a walker, not a runner. My knees are not amused by running. I do alot of walking, however.

Elaine
    241/241/130
    6/20/06
  • Well, today was day 1 of our new enterprize. For those interested, here is the link to the program we are following (with some early modifications that I will list shortly): http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Pr...ve_program.htm

Our supplies: Running shoes (mine the asics listed above, her's are by saucony), heart rate monitor watch with an interval timer (my early birthday present), sports bras (mine is being asked to do just a little bit more than it was designed to, but it's hanging in there like a real champ), and our regular walking clothes.

Now, we are doing a "couch to 5k program", but we aren't really starting from the couch, so we've decided to modify the first part of the program. Our first day looked like this:

5 min, warm up walk
    (7 min normal walk, 30 sec walk at full throttle) (4 times)
    2 min cool down walk

We decided to go down to our usual walking place along the ocean rather than the track. I was planning to do the full stretch routine after the warm up, but quickly allowed myself to be talked out of it because the wind was up and it was COLD. I'll be more strict next time. I took a peak at google earth when we got home, and our walk ended up being 1.7 miles, for an average rate of 2.8 mph (did I mention it was cold?) and at my weight a calculated burn of 256 cals (243 at SO's).

We plan to follow this basic outlay for the rest of the week (Wed and Fri), then evaluate for the next week, either starting with week 1 of second month, or (more likely) continuing all walk with a longer full throttle interval.

Physically/psychologically everything is fine so far. Shoes get A+'s all around (mine are actually more comfortable than bare feat), no body parts went flinging in dangerous directions, and no one grumped or groaned too much. Like I mentioned, we are physically perhaps just a bit beyond this part of the program, but I realize that it's very important to not get ahead of ourselves, and I'm just glad to be on my way.

What we saw today: A 5 pound dog valiantly trying to pull a 170 pound man down the street. A beautiful ocean sunset that started all rose and periwinkle, and ended blood-orange red.