Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #1  

Default Comfort Food No More!

One thing that I have found interesting since starting Optifast is that I feel less stressed.

Over the past few weeks, I have had strong urges to eat when I feel stressed-that was my normal coping mechanism. Of course, now I can't do that, but I haven't come up with anything better at this point. What I have found interesting is that I will be frustrated/stressed/angry/sad and have the urge to eat, and I will say "I WANT TO EAT!!!" I don't, and I know that I won't, but I say it anyway because that is how I feel (and I know exactly why I want to eat too). I have noticed that when I do this, in a very short time, the urge is gone, my emotion/stress is lessened, and I feel much better than I would have if I ate and stuffed the emotion down (adding some guilt along the way).
I don't think that it ever really occurred to me that stress and strong emotions can just resolve on their own, as food has always been the "comforting" friend. Stopping all the emotional eating makes me feel like I am in control of my emotions instead of the other way around; and since there is no guilt, the stress is not prolonged.
I know that I need to find a postive coping mechanism for those times when I am truly overwhelmed, but so far, everything has been good (but different).
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hi Amanda! It is refreshing to get some clarity as to why we eat when we do.....it's definitely a lightbulb moment!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:47 AM   #3  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Doesn't it feel good to learn something like that! Way to go!

Today I discovered a new tool for when I walk through the grocery store and get a case of the want-want-want's regarding my trigger foods. Instead of telling myself I don't need them, I tell myself "I DON'T WANT THEM." It really helps me; especially since I work in store and am bombarded daily with them.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote