3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Obese Professional (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/87096-obese-professional.html)

happiegirl 06-17-2006 11:44 AM

Obese Professional

I have not been here in awhile. I'm not on a diet but need to be. I hope you will still be able to share with me.

I have just graduated from College and am morbidly obese. I sent my resume off to a local accounting firm here and guess what? I have an interview. I was surprised that they had even called me. I am very aware that the interview maybe over before it has begun. I know there are many professionals that visit this forum. Can you please share any ideas you may have to help me overcome my size while interviewing? I know losing the weight will do the trick but my interview is on Monday. Please, if you would, share your experiences with this issue. Thank you for your time.

midwife 06-17-2006 12:04 PM

They called you because you have a fabulous resume and they think that you would be a good fit with their company. They called you because you have recently graduated college. They called you because you are a professional in a very important field. All of these things are FACTS and your weight does not effect any of them.

Believe in yourself! Think of all the women of size who have/are rocking Hollywood! Rosie O'Donnell, Queen Latisha. What do they have? CONFIDENCE! Walk into that interview KNOWING that you are beautiful and smart and accomplished! Eye contact, firm handshake! You are who you are and they want to interview YOU!

Believe that you will do great and you will!

kaplods 06-17-2006 12:26 PM

Confidence makes the difference. I have a master's degree in psych, and have been very obese most of my childhood, and all of my adult life. When I was interviewing for jobs (at the bachelors and masters levels), I found that I could almost always tell when the interviewer was concerned about my weight (more likely with female interviewers, for some reason), so I started asking. With a great big smile on my face, I would ask,
"is my weight going to be a problem for you," or "do you have any concerns about my weight regarding this position."

Not saying you have to bring it up, just sharing what worked for me. It might be a little different in a business field, but I also never interviewed in the classic interview suit. The black or navy business suit made me look like a black or navy potato, so I always wore a skirt/jacket/blouse combo in colors and styles that looked great on me. My theory was that if I dressed like all the other applicants I couldn't compete in terms of positive first impressions, but if I looked fabulous, I would make a positive impact.

dragonwoman64 06-17-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwife
They called you because you have a fabulous resume and they think that you would be a good fit with their company. They called you because you have recently graduated college. They called you because you are a professional in a very important field. All of these things are FACTS and your weight does not effect any of them.

Believe in yourself! Think of all the women of size who have/are rocking Hollywood! Rosie O'Donnell, Queen Latisha. What do they have? CONFIDENCE! Walk into that interview KNOWING that you are beautiful and smart and accomplished! Eye contact, firm handshake! You are who you are and they want to interview YOU!

Believe that you will do great and you will!

I couldn't think of any way to say it better! Good luck on your interview! (hey, YOU might not like the job they offer or the company or the money, etc.)

Lifeguard 06-17-2006 01:31 PM

I agree with everything that has been said here. But do go in with everything perfectly in place. Like it or not we are sometimes judged harsher because of our weight - so don't give them anything to pick on in their heads. Hair, make-up, clothes.

Plus I always find when I am sure that I am looking the best that I can at that moment in time I feel much more confident.

Good luck!!!!

YP1 06-17-2006 02:10 PM

Confidence and making the best of what you have (hair, makeup, clothes) will definitely go a long way. Don't let yourself feel beaten before you get to the interview - if you're the best person for the job it shouldn't matter what you look like.

I'm kind of lucky, I'm a lawyer, but my boss is overweight/obese too and has been for the time I've been working there (either that or pregnant). She's hardly in a position to judge me for my weight and I've been able to show what I can do professionally without having to worry that my weight would count against me. You don't know who will be interviewing you, so don't assume that they'll automatically look down on you because of your size.

happiegirl 06-17-2006 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the great tips! I have been doing everything I can think of to prepare for this interview. Looking up company information, studying interview questions, practicing my eye contact, and all the other things the job hunting books recommend. I know confidence is a big factor and have been working on that too. I think my interview suit looks just fine. I am taking it to the cleaners today to have it pressed. I have done everything I can think of to prepare. Also the job posting included "professional dress code." So I'm assuming they will want a suit. I will keep Queen Latifah in mind as I’m interviewing. Thanks for all the help :)

lucky 06-17-2006 04:02 PM

All of the advice you've gotten so far is just perfect. And, based on your second post, I'd say you are doing everything within your power to have a successful interview. So, the only additional suggestion I have is not to stop there. Remember to follow up after the interview. Sending a thank you not is obvious (though lots of people fail to do that anymore). Also, though, if you are not offered this position don't automatically assume that it was weight related. Instead think of the interview as great practice for the next one and then call the interviewer and find out how you could have done better or if they felt your interview skills were great but another applicant trumped you on qualifications. You'll be able to use what they tell you to better your chances of being hired the next time someone calls you. Plus, you'll leave the impression that you are the type of person always interested in improving yourself and may stand out for the NEXT position they have open.

So, go in confident, do your very best, forget about your weight for the day and be yourself. If you get the job GREAT! If you don't, there will be plenty of other opportunites. Good luck!

Nori71 06-17-2006 06:25 PM

Congrats on your degree and the upcoming job interview! GL!! I remembered this post from a few months ago - and when I searched for it noticed that you started this thread also! Maybe there's some more ideas/help in it for you! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75890

BTW - I have a job interview on Monday also! Fingers crossed for both of us!! I agree that confidence is so important.

happiegirl 06-17-2006 06:31 PM

Yes, I remember the post. Looks like the same question. I guess this thing a little too much thought. Good luck with your interview.

Sassy_Chick 06-17-2006 09:18 PM

Hi just chiming in, everybody has great advice, when I went to my interview for my current job, I just wore my business suit that made me feel great about myself, put on a smile on my face and remember its all about you, so just don't sell yourself short. I know you'll do just great! :D

midwife 06-18-2006 10:11 AM

Latisha, Latifah! Haha! Shows how in tune I am with the stars!

tolose85 06-18-2006 05:21 PM

I've been thin, I've been obese ( I am now..). I got the biggest career advancement at my heaviest weight ever. Presentation of you is key. Not so much looks, or whether your obese or not, (however, you must be put together and that can be accomplished at any size) I am talking about selling yourself, your skills, your intelligence. Confidence and intelligence comes at any size and if you've got it, you'll have no problem. Good Luck! You'll do brilliantly!!

cantforgetthis 06-19-2006 12:38 PM

Happiegirl, I just wanted to thank you for posting the question! I am also in college, returning student to be exact, and have never had to interview at this weight. I have about 3 more semesters and was worrying about the same thing. I am currently working on it, but appreciate all the input as well. Thanks ladies! :hug:

happiegirl 06-19-2006 12:58 PM

The interview is over. It went really well but I lost my words a few times. The lady was kind of squinting when she was looking at me. Does that mean interested or confused? She said the individual hiring wouldn't be setting up second interviews until sometime next week. Is that a brush off or is it the truth? Do they generally set up second interviews at the first?

Midwife, I had to look up how to spell Latifah’s name. I didn’t even notice that you put down anything different. The whole time I was thinking I’m Queen Latifah. Funny but it did work for me.

Cantforgetthis, you should really read the book College Grad Job Hunter or go to http://www.collegegrad.com/. I think that reading this book helped me prepare a lot for the interview. You can get a jump start now. I really wish I had. Find a suit combo that looks best on you. I tried on so many of them at many different stores before finding just the right one.

Thanks to everyone that helped. In the end I don’t think my weight was a big problem. The lady that interviewed me was overweight.

Please forgive any typos. I am so tired.