Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #1  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Default Question...

I usually try to do 60 minutes on the treadmill atleast 5 days a week. Since I weigh so much, I'd literally be at a different number every morning on the scale. About 3 weeks ago I got sick and I haven't been working out up until yesterday. You see, three weeks ago it was still considerably cool out, and I had no problem doing the 60 minutes. Guys, I could barely do more than 20 yesterday when I got back on the treadmill. It was SO hot and humid, I felt like I was about to pass out. This really discouraged me because I know for me personally, when I do my work outs, I only lose then. My question is, if I do 30 minutes every day, Monday through Sunday, would that be sufficient? I know this may be a silly question, but a few times I've read that if you have a great deal of weight to lose then "you're kidding yourself by only exercising 30 minutes". Sometimes it'd say you're wasting your time. Anyway, today I did 30 minutes, and felt like that's something I can do every day since it goes by so quickly. As for my calorie counting, I try to stay between 1600-1700 calories. I'd go back to my 60 minutes in the fall when the weather cools down again.
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #2  
labelle16352

S/C/G: 205/148/130

I have no idea if 30 will be enough but it is better than I can do. I have no desire to get on a treadmill and even if I did I would be out of breath in 5 min. My sister in law does uses hers for 20 min every day and has lost 20 pounds in a year. I work in my yard - gardening, power washing, building flower beds, and cutting the grass in the warm months. In the cooler months I walk the dog and when it's really cold I take my godson to play laser tag etc. The gym is too dull for me so I try to sub it with activities I can do even when I am not feeling so hot that relieve stress. But if you can do the treadmill even for 10 min it is better than nothing!
labelle16352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Does it cool down at night where you are? You could always try to add some "free range" walking to your routine in the evenings or near sunrise to make up for the difference. Also, I find that the time I spend weight lifting is not nearly as heat-exhaustion producing as the time on the treads. Adding a few weight routines might be an easy alternative way to get some burn, and I've really been happy with the way it's change my body shape. (And made it easier to do just about everything.)

I have to say, though, that I admire your ability to do 60 min on the mill under any circumstances, my attention span is just to short.

Oh, and I doubt that you would suddenly stop losing weight if you did just go down to 30 min (assuming that your food is okay), but you would be slowing down your rate of loss. I say a slower loss that continues is better than trying to force yourself through an unpleasant experience, get fed up, quit, and not have any loss at all. But it might be worth it to find an alternative that works just as well. Good Luck!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

You could try and do 2 sets of 30mins if you are worried of not losing with 30mins. It would keep you at your fitness level during the summer months and then it will be easier for you to get back to only one session a day in the cool months.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #5  
labelle16352

Have you thought about medication? I used Ionamin and it helped with my energy level. It's temporary ony 3 months.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #6  
Edge Of Glory

Andoreth, I work from 4pm - 12pm so doing it in the evening isn't an option during the week. Oh, and having an mp3 player helps me about with doing the 60 minutes.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #7  
Edge Of Glory

Hmm, I'm not really into taking medications at this point. I don't believe it's my energy level that's the problem anyway. I guess you're right.. I shouldn't hold everything I read as gospel and anything that I can do in the way of exercise is better than nothing.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 PM   #8  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverhopefull
You could try and do 2 sets of 30mins if you are worried of not losing with 30mins. It would keep you at your fitness level during the summer months and then it will be easier for you to get back to only one session a day in the cool months.
That makes sense, I'd just have to find a way to work that into my schedule. That should be read as breaking out of laziness more than once a day
Old 05-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #9  

lol. I also use an MP3 player (which is full of music I love), and practice Japanese, AND watch tv while exercising, and I still have to do what I call the Trifecta* or I get too bored. I blame it on waaaay to many years (about 30) of video game playing.

*Trifecta: 10 min stationary bike, 10 min eliptical, 10 min treadmill, each one right after the other.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #10  
Edge Of Glory

I wish I had the space to have an elliptical and bike in the apartment. Going to the gym right now isn't even something I want to consider at this point. I'm pretty antisocial.. or atleast that's what my sister says. Working out is just something I really prefer to do when I'm left alone. Maybe I'll look into getting a compact elliptical. For some reason, I don't feel like I'm getting much of an overall workout when I'm on a stationary bike.

I know what you mean about the video games though. I swear if I could hook up my computer to my treadmill, I'd last for hours.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #11  
labelle16352

Do you know anyone with children? I swear doing anything with my 10 year old godson burns calories. And it doesnt feel like it.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #12  

About the gym- let me tell you I am right with you in the "anti-social" realm. Oh, I talk a lot here, online, but I just can't stand face-to-face social situations. I'm horrible at parties, don't really like talking to most people (again, except online), and I prefer to just be left to my own devices. The last organized group I joined was the Brownies (my mother made me) and I quit after 3 months.

All of that being said, I've found my gym to be no problem. Everyone there really is just doing their own thing. They have that little shell of personal space around them that you also find in libraries. Even when I go with my SO, it feels like a solitary endeavor.

I'll admit, I'm biased. I love going to the gym. I'm sure that there are a lot of good reasons to not join one (time, money, other inclinations), but I just wanted to let you know that you can be a loner, and still enjoy the gym.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #13  
labelle16352

The problems with "the gym":
- in my neighborhood it's like a class reunion and I'm now the fat one
- waiting your turn
- the nice ones are like meat markets for people and can be more expensive
- the non meat markets dives cost less and smell
- solicitation for hiring a trainer
- wearing a bra tank in public
- not knowing how to use all equip
- finding a parking space - anywhere
- special days and times you can work out for men and women
If you have a gym that is nice and so are the people AND they dont bug you @ a trainer please tell me the name and I will pray it's a chain. I have tried Bally's, Lifetime (had to wait for a parking space @ 1 am), and Fitness.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Kudos to you for doing the 60 minutes regularly. Because you said you were sick, it could be that your body just has to readjust (I know that's happened to me before. I would give it another week or so and see if you can't work back up to the hour (if that's what you enjoy doing.) HTH.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelle16352
The problems with "the gym":
- in my neighborhood it's like a class reunion and I'm now the fat one
- waiting your turn
- the nice ones are like meat markets for people and can be more expensive
- the non meat markets dives cost less and smell
- solicitation for hiring a trainer
- wearing a bra tank in public
- not knowing how to use all equip
- finding a parking space - anywhere
- special days and times you can work out for men and women
If you have a gym that is nice and so are the people AND they dont bug you @ a trainer please tell me the name and I will pray it's a chain. I have tried Bally's, Lifetime (had to wait for a parking space @ 1 am), and Fitness.
My experience with the gym:
- well, I'm one of several fat ones, and I didn't know anyone before I joined (and still don't- see above thread i.e. anti-social behavior )
- since I use 10 machines each time I go to the gym, there is always a machine open to use, I can honestly say that I've only had to wait 3 times in the last 5 months.
- I go to a smaller, locally owned gym (3 locations), everyone looks average, no one checks each other out. Cost isn't that cheap, but not expensive either. I've more than made up the price by not eating out all of the time like I used to.
- I haven't noticed any particular odor at my gym, it's always clean and well kempt.
- No one has ever asked me to buy, add-on, or pay for anything extra. Not supplements, training, classes... nothing. There is a signboard that offers services, but you have to initiate any conversation about adding to your membership.
- The world will end the day I wear a bra tank. Or, at least anyone who sees me will wish that it does. I wear a ratty old T-shirt and some light baloony shorts that go down below my knees.
- I didn't know how to use anything when I started. However, the instructions on the machines are very easy to understand, they are safe as long as you don't add weights until you are comfortable with them, and my gym offers free instruction on any/all machines for new members (which I didn't use because I don't prefer that kind of interaction).
- Parking can sometimes be an issue, sure. Just like going anywhere else. But this isn't going to be the same at every gym. My gym generally has plenty of parking.

I'm not trying to be contrary, just show how different gym experiences can be. I think that's why it is so important to give any gym a trial run before signing anything, but also not to give up on gyms completely just because of some bad ones. Even chains can be very different depending on the local management and employees.