3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Sure Fire Way to Lose Weight! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/85666-sure-fire-way-lose-weight.html)

activeadventurer 05-30-2006 10:49 AM

Sure Fire Way to Lose Weight!

Last week in my exercise class our trainer was talking about weight loss. After his 15 minute talk (very sensible BTW) one of the gentleman in the class came up to me and said " I know a sure fire way to lose weight" I was trying really hard not to roll my eyes or say something nasty after more than one incidence of strangers coming up to me and giving me diet advice. Arghhhhh!

Boy was I glad I didn't!!!! His sure fire way to lose weight: Be a prisoner of war! He was captured in WW1 and went from 195 to 130 in just a few months. My brother was wounded in Vietnam and at 6"1" weighed less than 100# when he finally died. It really gave me something to think about over the Memorial Day weekend.

That brave gentleman helped me to appreciate all that I have both in health, family and freedom. He also helped me to put my own struggles in perspective. Not to diminish them, but to put them in there proper place.

I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Mine has been one of the more memorable ones.

dragonwoman64 05-30-2006 11:03 AM

wow, interesting story. I agree it can be hard not to keep a good perspective in this "battle."

famograham 05-30-2006 12:38 PM

Beautiful.

There's nothing like expecting to be let down by the human race...yet again, only to be reminded that there are people out there with beautiful spirits. People who surprise you with their goodness.

Something like that happened to me the other day in the grocery store.
I had the kids, and Liam said "Thank You!" for something...I gave him a great big hug and huge kiss on the cheek. Then an older lady came closer and closer to me...called out a big "Thank You" and tapped her cheek. I was surprised by this stranger at first...thought for a split second...then wrapped my arms around her and gave her a great big kiss on the cheek too!

I even surprised myself...and my Mom just loved the story when I told her!
I'll never forget that lady...she brightened my day...even my year!

We really have to remember the good people, or this life isn't worth much ;)

:hug:
Linda

dragonwoman64 05-30-2006 02:56 PM

I loved your story, too, Linda. It's one of the things I love about my bf, Rob. He has so much compassion and empathy for people. One day this past winter we went out to lunch down the street. There was an older woman going in the opposite direction, standing at the edge of an ice patch looking nervous about walking over it. Without hesitating he took her arm and helped her home. He tends to worry more that he's giving enough rather than thinking about whether he's getting his share.

famograham 05-30-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonwoman64
He tends to worry more that he's giving enough rather than thinking about whether he's getting his share.

YES!!!!
I know you've got a good one by that statement alone :)

I feel that way too sometimes...worried about whether I'm giving enough.

Linda

dragonwoman64 05-31-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by famograham
YES!!!!
I know you've got a good one by that statement alone :)

I feel that way too sometimes...worried about whether I'm giving enough.

Linda

ah, shucks :) thanks. I've noticed how supportive you are here, and sometimes a few words can make a big difference. true sign of a good spirit on your part.

activeadventurer 06-01-2006 01:47 AM

Like our friend from Brooklyn says Linda, I too have noticed how supportive you are here and really appreciate it. I know what you mean about taking the energy to notice the good people and not just the ones that have let you down.

famograham 06-01-2006 03:05 AM

:goodvibes :goodvibes Awwww, shucks!! I wish there was a better blushing smilie! :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Linda