Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #1  

Default 60 pounds worth of obese

Well, I was looking at the charts this morning, and saw that I have to lose 60 more pounds before I can be out of the "obese" category. *sigh* (It would be 90 pounds to get out of the "overweight" category.)

It's such a daunting prospect. It's going to take so long! But I'm really sick of being obese, and I want to lose at least those 60 pounds! Argh, I just wish it didn't take so stupid long to lose this weight. *sigh*
Junia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I don't know if this will help you at all, but here is what I've been doing:

For me, the difference between low-end "over-weight" and low-end "obesity" is about 35 lbs. So, I've been calling every 35 lbs of weight lost "An Obesity". So far, I've lost one obesity, and I am now just 10lbs shy of losing my second!

The drawback- kind of bites to think of myself as having 3 1/2 obesities.
The plus- it breaks down the goals a bit, it makes sense to me (according to my chart 286 is just as bad as 386?), and it'll be really cool to say "I've lost 4 obesities!" someday.

I'm in this for the long haul, but I agree that it's not fun to have such a tiny light comming from the end of such a long tunnel.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoreth
I don't know if this will help you at all, but here is what I've been doing:

For me, the difference between low-end "over-weight" and low-end "obesity" is about 35 lbs. So, I've been calling every 35 lbs of weight lost "An Obesity". So far, I've lost one obesity, and I am now just 10lbs shy of losing my second!

The drawback- kind of bites to think of myself as having 3 1/2 obesities.
The plus- it breaks down the goals a bit, it makes sense to me (according to my chart 286 is just as bad as 386?), and it'll be really cool to say "I've lost 4 obesities!" someday.

I'm in this for the long haul, but I agree that it's not fun to have such a tiny light comming from the end of such a long tunnel.

Hmm, that's an interesting approach. For me, it would be 30 pounds, which would mean I've already lost one obesity, and have two to go. Hmm...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #4  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Hey...I'd like to figure that out.
Could someone please post a link or PM me a link to a really good BMI calculator...or chart more appropriately.
I'd like to see how many pounds I have to go to get out of obese..etc..

Thanks!
And Great job on losing those obesities!!!!!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #5  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

Here's the one I used. I went from low-end overweight to low-end obesity, figuring that is how long it takes to get from overweight to obese.

Of course, the general disclaimer about how these charts are not written in stone and everyone is different, yada yada, applies. Example- I remember being 180, and I felt great and looked okay (at least okay enough for my SO to ask me out). Even though that is officially overweight at my height, I don't care at all if I never go below that number. Actually, I'll be happy no matter what weight I end up at, since I know I'm eating right and getting enough exercise.

Linda's right, congrats Junia! Make sure you take a moment to celebrate!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #6  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Thanks Jen!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #7  

Yikes, according to that chart I'm hovering at the lower end of "extreme obesity." I'm 65 inches tall (5ft5in), and I weigh a smidge under 240, which is the cutoff for extreme obesity. I guess when I was 270 I was in big trouble. Well, if I could get down to 180, that would be great... but my current goal is to get down to a weight lower than where I was when my medication made me balloon up. I'm giving myself two months to lose 20 pounds!

Thanks for the encouragement, too -- I guess losing 30 pounds is a lot, even if I still have more to go.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I had to lose around 60lb to get out of obesity when I started, it seemed overwhelming at times. From there it was about 30lb more to get to a normal weight, so I guess I've lost just over 3 "obesities". Just remember that even if it seems slow and overwhelming, if you do it one pound at a time it will eventually all come off, as long as you stick at it. Looking back it can seem remarkably quick, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I started off well in the "morbidly" or "extreme" obesity range. In fact my BMI started off near 50, which is just about double-morbid obesity or some such. Depressing that I've lost almost 90 pounds and am still obese -- almost 30 pounds to "overweight" -- but I try to reframe it in a more positive light most of the time.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #10  
Will work for yarn!

Yep, I'm about 60 pounds away from "overweight". That will be a grand day, I tell ya!
myholidayboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #11  

Thanks for the chart, andoreth! According to that I'm juuuuuuuust tipping down into "Obese" from "Extreme Obesity" (I'm on the cutoff). Go me! I can tell you THAT is no place I ever plan on being again! It's 67 pounds from now til I hit "Overweight", and 34 beyond that til I hit "Normal". Given that "Normal" is nothing I have ever been, I'll take partway through overweight! My goal is 180, too (I'm 5'9).
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #12  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default We are BMI Buddies..

I have lost 43 lbs and I have another 11 to lose before I go from obese to overweight. Then another 23 to lose before I am "normal". That's the fun of being only 5' tall. So all in all I will lose 54 lbs to lose my obesity. Not very far from 60.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can see it. I've been where you are and I am here now. You will get here too! And beyond. Just have faith. In yourself mostly. But just have faith.

You can do it.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #13  
Downsizing Dee!

That BMI things gets me every time. I'm still in the overweight category. My goal is to make it to normal (that's how I chose my goal weight actually). So I still have 17 pounds to go before I'm considered "normal".

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #14  
Jo
Catatonic

It could be worse . . . I need to lose 70 pounds just to go from the "extremely obese" to "obese" category!

I know it can be discouraging to look at the numbers, but you can do it. Just stay focused and take it one day at a time. (Now if only I could take my own advice )
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
(Now if only I could take my own advice )
I'm the same way -- it's so much easier to coach other people through these things than to keep myself encouraged! I guess that's why we have boards like this one, no?

Well, I'm sticking with the diet, and I keep telling myself I'm going to add exercise... I think one of these days I really will get moving, and that should help, too. I guess any progress is good, no matter how small of a step it is. It really helps to be making new friends here who are encouraging me, though. Thanks folks!