Inspired by another post...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Alright, I've done some MAJOR backsliding here in '06. I never fully re-grasped my handle on the whole weight loss thing after the Christmas holiday season. Now I'm back up to 290 (err, 289.5 last time I stepped on the scale a few days ago). Maybe by publicly announcing my rededication, something will click in my head

I saw a post from someone who has been wuite successful so far who said she's going to begin eating multiple 200-calorie meals throughout the day. Here I am "grazing" all day long--why does it have to be on McDonald's, donuts, and other junk? It's time for some hard-core planning, and it starts this week!

I'm going to make a bunch of sandwiches (I bought bread that has 35-40 calories per slice) and some salads that have calories marked on them. I also have 70-calorie cups of chicken n' stars soup. There's no reason I can't eat a good amount of calories throughout the day in healthy foods rather than all the crap I've been eating lately.

Oh, and all the times I've told people that eating healthy doesn't really cost more, I lied I went grocery shopping yesterday and spent $122, and it's just me and my boyfriend! I do have enough money to buy the good stuff now, though, for which I am grateful. I bought:
    • light, whole-grain breads at over $2.50 per loaf (and the loaves are smaller than regular bread loaves that are like 99 cents)
    • seedless red grapes (I like them frozen as a snack)--i bought 2 large bunches at $1-something a pound, and it came to over $9 at the checkout...for grapes!!
    • 2 lbs. fresh strawberries--$5.99
    • 2 bags of romaine lettuce--on "sale" for $3 per bag
    • Natural fat-free yogurt (Stoneybrook Farms)--about $4 for 6 small cups
    Now, I did go out of my way to buy some fresh fruit instead of frozen because I spent last night and this morning cutting it all up to make a yummy fruit salad. I don't like canteloupe or honeydew, so it's watermelon, pineapple (which I did buy frozen--on sale, $2 for 1 lb. of chunks), seedless red grapes, and blueberries (also on sale frozen--$2 for 12 oz). Oh, I also bit the bullet and bought some of the Smart Ones frozen entrees (the Truth About Carbs ones--sweet n' sour chicken and santa fe chicken)--I'd bought them a few weeks ago when they were on sale, and I really like them for lunch at work, but when not on sale, they're $3 each I'll be keeping an eye out for them to go on sale again so I can stock up, but if I tried to make the same entrees myself, it just wouldn't taste the same, and I wouldn't even know where to begin with the veggies since I don't normally eat any veggies (can't stand 'em).

So anyway, here is my re-dedication to ME. The leftover pizza and Chinese food in my fridge will NOT be a factor during the week--strictly calorie-counted sandwiches, salads, soups, and other healthy treats. I could sure use a sprinkling of that good ole . I'm just so tired of seeing the ads for theme parks and thinking how much I want to go on those roller coasters and then having to face the reality that I probably won't fit I'm too young to let my weight control my life (not that it's good at any age, but you know).
  • Planning meals has really helped me stay focused. Having a list in my hand when i walk into the grocery store, and sticking to that list, has not only had a nice effect on my food consumption, but on my pocketbook, as well. That, and my supermarket discount cards!
    Good luck to you! We're all right here with ya.
  • Go, Jilly! Sounds like an amazing plan! (Can you throw away the leftover pizza and Chinese food? Don't let it lurk in there, tempting and waiting!)

• Wow, it sounds like you're gonna be really healthy soon!
  • JILL...It sounds like you have a great plan and you CAN and WILL do it! You sound like you're back on track and totally refocused again...good for you!
  • Quote: (Can you throw away the leftover pizza and Chinese food? Don't let it lurk in there, tempting and waiting!)
    Luckily, the only pizza we have left is pepperoni, which is all my boyfriend's. I had pineapple on my pizza, and that's all gone already. Also, all that's left of the Chinese is some pork lo mein, which he will likely eat as well. It's great licing with a human garbage disposal

Planning is definitely helpful, but my problem is eating everything on my plan--and then some. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I've got a major closet binging problem. Anytime I am alone is a very scary time for any food within a 5-mile radius My worst times are in the car driving to/from work (the McDonald's drive-thru workers probably know me by name by now) and the time in the evening between when I get home (around 3:30-4pm) and when my boyfriend gets home (between 5-7pm). Sounds like a prime time to exercise, right? Well, I tend to just exercise my arms by moving them from a bag/plate/container to my mouth. Now that it's nicer out, I'm going to try to go walking when I get home from work, even if it's just around the block--anything to get me out of the alone-at-home situation. I've been better about McDonald's--only stopped there once this week, I think (rather than every day or even sometimes twice a day ). I also have a problem, though, with stopping anywhere on the way home from work, be it CVS for something quick or a grocery store just for milk or whatever--I always end up with some sugary/fatty junk food being purchased as well. So maybe it's good I spent so much grocery shopping yesterday--now maybe I have enough groceries so I won't have to stop during the week alone at all!
  • Jilly, a re-dedication sounds great. I am struggling as well and have been thinking along the same lines as you. Best of luck!
  • Jill, you have the groceries, the plan, and you know your weak spots. I've seen you kick butt before when you get dedicated, I don't have any doubt you will this time around as well. Post whenever you have any kind of glitch, you'll get lots of encouragement and will power dust here!
  • Great job Jill! You set yourself up to succeed, I have no doubt that you will.
  • Sounds like a great plan!

Jill, I can totally relate to the issues you have with "alone" time. I am the same exact way. I'm a binger too, and one of my binging rules is to always be alone as I stuff my face. NEVER in public (other than in my car), NEVER in front of anyone, almost always high sugar/high fat foods... My DH has never seen me binge and neither have my babies. Since I have had kids, that's helped out a lot. Binges went from a regular, almost daily occurance to once a month or so. But it still raises it's ugly head if I run out alone in the car for something and leave them at home. I can count on an inner battle at least 75% of the time I am alone. We can beat this. Acknowledging it is huge.

Here's to rollercoasters!
  • Nori--are you saying I should have some kids to help with my binging problem? hehe...I agree, though...it's never a hidden binge on pretzels or grilled chicken or anything--no, my demons are McDonald's, Zebra cakes, glazed donuts (or donut holes), or these new vanilla yogurt w/chocolate swirl covered pretzels I've discovered When I lived alone, I used to also binge on entire cheesecakes or pints of ice cream. I don't do that anymore since I live with my boyfriend, and I wouldn't want him to come home while I was doing that or even find such empty containers in the trash. Gotta figure out why my mind says it's okay to do as long as no one finds out...

I'm feeling great as we start this week tomorrow (even though we have no work for the holiday, so it's not a normal week's start). Chinese and pizza leftovers are officially gone--I did have some lo mein, but Jeff had the pizza. I just took over an hour to make food for myself for the week. I made 4 each of 2 kinds of sandwiches: 1T natural PB and 1T no-sugar-added strawberry preserves on 2 slices light whole wheat bread (180 cals for the whole sandwich) and ham, turkey, provolone cheese, red onion, romaine lettuce, and fat-free thousand island dressing on light rye bread (195 cals for the whole sandwich. This way, I can have my usual Smart Ones frozen entree for lunch (140 cals each) plus 2 sandwiches throughout the day at work for only 515 calories That'll feel like eating 3 meals to me (I'm a bulk eater, not necessarily eating out of hunger, but for quantity--I'm messed up, I know ). Add to that breakfast (Honey Bunches of Oats, skim milk, and banana--400ish cals), and I've still got PLENTY of calories left for dinner! Plus, if I need to, I can add a 70-cal cup of soup or a 120-cal packet of instant oatmeal or even both. Dinner is usually skinless baked (or crockpot) chicken, turkey burgers, fat-free hotdogs, or homemade pizza on Boboli whole-wheat crust, so dinner's not usually a problem (some more processed foods, but still not out of control).

Thank you everyone for your support, encouragement, and tips. I am BEYOND ready to lose some weight, here!
  • Jill-- I am glad to see you back.

(and shut up! about the pretzels. if I have one weaknesss...... ).
  • Jill! I like the idea about making the sandwiches for the week, and writing the points / cals on there! Are those gonna keep okay? They won't get all soggy?

I may do that ~ I'm with you, on the feeling like that would be 3 meals. Awesome!
  • Quote: Jill! I like the idea about making the sandwiches for the week, and writing the points / cals on there! Are those gonna keep okay? They won't get all soggy?
    I've never had a problem with them getting soggy. Then again, I don't use much in the way of spreads. I use 1.5 teaspoons of thousand island dressing on my meat and cheese sandwiches, and that's it. I only use 1T of fruit spread on my PB&J sandwiches, which is a pretty thin layer. Also, the light breads seem to be kinda cardboardy sometimes, so I don't mind them soaking in a little moisture
  • Sounds like you're all set! Way to go!
    Those Zebra cakes are a problem for me too. I can eat a whole box in one sitting.
    I totally hear you about the "bulk" eating. My favorite trick to have a huge salad with my 'main course'. That way there is alot of food on my plate, even if my main course consists of 1 hot dog or serving of spaghetti and sauce etc. I like seeing that there is alot of food that I get to eat. I use smaller plates too cuz it really does help.