Old 05-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #46  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi folks,

I found the sharing so far in this thread very helpful. It has really made me think. I am not sure where I am in my weight loss journey. I know I am much more comfortable being naked with my SO and have a desire to move my body a lot more than any other time in the recent past. In a weird way. I don't think I have ever been in a better place. It is just not about the pounds but how I am feeling about my body. Much more accepting and caring than ever before. Like it is a precious gift (my body) that I cherish. That is a pretty radical statement for me! Loathing my body has ALWAYS been a big issue for me.

Weight wise, I have been maintaining a 40 pound weight loss for about 2 years. (I still weigh about 400 pounds at 5'9") During that time my healths stats (BP, cholesterol, stamina and strength) have dramatically improved.

Even if I don't lose any more weight (I think I will) this feeling of respect and wonderment that I have going regarding my body is something I really cherish. I think it is even better than when I was very attractively slim but hating my body none the less.

Thanks for listening!

Denise
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #47  

Hmmmm, much as I wanted to avoid it, I guess I really ought to chime in on this one. Although it's no excuse (oh yeah, then why am I prefacing my next statement this way, huh?) I've been going through some... shall we say, difficult and emotional times lately, and have, unfortunately, found myself reverting to some nasty old habits, i.e., emotional/mindless eating. Thus the scale has crept its way up about 7-10 lbs. or so. BUT, I have taken some very necessary steps to take charge of my emotional crap, and now that I've reached my own personal line in the sand (weight-wise), I am also taking the necessary steps to nip this thing squarely in the bud, and pronto! Quite honestly, it's been complacency, and a simple issue of allowing excess snacking to somehow be okay lately. Well, it's not okay, and by golly, I AM OVER IT! Well, working on being over it anyway! Baby steps, right?

But other than what I'm calling this minor setback, things have been going fairly well. Maintenance really is just more of the same, without all the glam and glory, which is fine by me since, eventually everyone fawning all over you about your fabulous weight loss really does get old. Suuuuurrrrrre, scoff at my ridiculous notion, but come a year from now, I betcha each one of you will be so over all of the attention, it won't even be funny! So go ahead, prove me wrong, I dare ya!! Anyway, that’s where I am, not perfect, but not too shabby, all things considered. Thanks for starting this thread Sandi, what a wealth of insight and information!

BTW, I'm so not updating my siggy cause I don't plan on it being wrong for long!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfessorSiuan
Hey Harpo,

You look fabulous! YOu must be so proud! Congratulations! I can't believe how far down you are! Awesome girl!!
Thanks Donna!!! You're doing great too!!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

I'm still losing and gaining the same 5-10 pounds, which means, I'm basically at the same place I was when I "started" in September. I'm now approaching this task from a strategy based attack. Everything I hear from posters is that this journey has to be personal with sound nutritional, long-term changes. SO, I'm treating my weight loss, the same way I would attack a skill deficit with my students. I figure I have a "skill deficit" as well.

I am proud of myself with my exercise. Since joining the local YMCA in September, I have consistently exercised 3x's a week and I feel marvelous at my progress and improved stamina.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #50  

Well...my highest weight was 278. I had previously lost 129 pounds and got down to 149. Then I gained 93.5 of that back and started Jan 1, 2006 at 242.50. Currently I am at 217.50. Down 25 pounds. It has been a true struggle. I will continue to take it day by day with hopes of making it to onderland before the end of the year.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #51  
gym junkie

S/C/G: 252/222/125

Talking

I've lost 11 pounds since I've been posting here last.

I am now down to 211.

250 >> 222 >> 211

I'm in a size 16 now. I was at a 22, and now I'm going to the gym 3 times a day and eating off the vegetarian food pyramid, as suggested by my dietician.
cambri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I'm having a great start to the year, I've lost 17 pounds, even MORE inches and went from a size 18 down to a size 14 (even if still a plus 14!). I've started running, hiking, going for long walks and have really made myself a priority lately. I've still got a ways to go (about 80-85 more pounds), but I have faith I'll get there... infact, I'm going to do a Cardio Boot Camp in June/July, 4 weeks 3-5 days a week, it'll be great fun, I'm super excited

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 AM   #53  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

I've been absent from the board for quite a while for many reasons. One of them being, I had moved my eyes off the big picture and was focusing instead on how many cookie/donut/cake/ice cream servings I could have without gaining.
My weight stayed steady while I kept up with my exercise. The last few months however, all I have been doing consistantly for exercise is my lovely Tae Kwon Do. Two classes a week, each class one hour long. Now I am up 8 lbs since October. however, I am still 61 lbs. lighter than I was January 2005.
Been pondering why and blasting at my excuses and have come to a few conclusions:
1. I think I was "self-medicating" myself with food and have been avoiding feelings (resentment, anger, sadness, and stress) by eating them down again.
MY ALTERNATIVE: Talk/write about my feelings.

2. While at work, I eat high fat/sugar/calorie food on my breaks because they are accessable (darn snack machines) and I am bored and/or stressed about my home life.
MY ALTERNATIVE: Bring healthy snacks from home.

3. I am working more hours and days per week now than I was this time last year and it cuts into my exercise time.
MY ALTERNATIVE: Exercise earlier in the day OR walk/run for 30-40 minutes during my lunch break. (I have a nifty little Mp3 player I can load up with music or the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio program.)

Anyway, this is where I am in my weight loss journey. Not as far as I had planned, but still farther than I've been before. I plan to visit here at least once per day to read. May not post everyday, but I plan to visit here everyday again. I do so well when I visit daily; you all are a terrifc bunch of 'losers'
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #54  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs2007
I have to get on a plane in 3 weeks.. so my mini goal is at least 5 more pounds.
I am freaking out about the seat belts on a plane.
I have never flew before ..
We have all heard the horror stories.. ( I have already posted about this)!!!
I guess my fear come from going to six flags a few years ago and I could not get on one of the roller coaster because I was to big!
This is a charter flight with all my hubbys co workers .. How embarrassing if I cant fit in the seatbelt..
I have flown extensively in the past three years and my weight ranged form 270 to 240 and I never had a seat belt issue. (almost at 270 but not at a lower weight) I am also 5'6". I hope this eases your worries.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #55  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

I went back to the grind today and did ok. But I had two to three weeks of injuries from the gym and just losing my groove with this. I ate out a ton of times and I just like the whole experience. I also get to share time with friends rather than eat home alone on nights when my BF is at work. My fault....my slip....my oh my.

I would love to be 240 by June 16 but is it possible??? I am really not sure. I have too temptations coming up.....wish me luck. The end of the school year here overseas has a lot of going away parties and just one more time out before summer and we leave to see our families back home.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! Why can't I just wake up tomorrow and be thin.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #56  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Jen......

Jen,

Your schedule sounds exactly like mine. It makes it harder to work on this weight battle, but I guess we have to find a way and work with what we have. If you have any helpful hints or suggestions ~ I can use any I can get.

Thanks
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Great Thread!!

I started this particular weight-loss journey in December 2004, which is was a tough time to start in the middle of the holidays, but I was ready! I've lost 67.8##s since then! I'm doing the WW-points plan. I try to always be mindful of my eating, even when I know I'm going over my points.

The biggest difference for me this time, aside from staying with it this long, is the exercise. I started going back to the gym 3 months after I got my eating under control. As I started building up my workouts, I hurt my knee (I know I've told this story 100's of times). During physical therapy, I started building up the muscles in my legs and I could feel myself getting stronger. My physical therapist is the most wonderful person in the world and he has helped me get to the next level w/my exercise. He is always there to listen to me when I get "stuck" in this process, we've become good friends.

Once I was released from PT, I built up to doing cardio 5x/week, I also do weight/resistance training 2-3x/week, and I have a trainer that I meet w/every other week to move me forward. Also the physical therapist suggested that I try doing Yoga for my flexibility (I had none) and I do that at least 2x/week.

So, I was doing pretty well until my knee started up again, the doctor suggested Syn-visc shots into my knee. This is to replace some of the fluid that I'm missing and to cushion my knee. It takes 3 shots each a week apart! The month of April was bad, my knee didn't like the 1st shot at all, and swelled horribly, I couldn't even walk, I literally cried on the physical therapist's shoulder!

Now that's done with, my knee is actually feeling better than before the shots, which is good. I spent the month of April basically maintaining (I didn't gain or lose) and working out, doing what I could between the shots.

3 weeks later, I'm back into my exercise schedule and on plan. I lost 2lbs last week and I'm feeling really motivated to get to my goal. My next mini-goal is just 18#s away.

Those of you who posted that you were struggling, I know how you feel. We've all been there, try to get back here as often as possible - it really helps to have the support!!

Last edited by BethC; 05-08-2006 at 01:50 PM.
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #58  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Great idea, Sandi! It's so good to catch up with some old, familiar faces, as well as to get introduced to those who became active in my absence. OK, here's me:

My first time seriously trying to lose weight was in 2004, and I was very active here during that time. I started in March, and by November I had lost about 80 pounds. As often happens, the weight came off faster in the beginning, but I was unwavering in my determination, and still stuck it out during the later plateaus and times of slower loss. I had a lot to say here about how I stayed "motivated;" the Readers Digest version is that I succeeded by focusing on my behaviors despite my emotions, and that I didn't rely on the nebulous enigma of "motivation" to inform my behaviors, but rather the opposite. I depended on my routine and my planning to get me to where I needed to go and figured that my continued motivation would result from seeing the progress that resulted from my behaviors. And that worked for me.

My plan was really regimented and highly structured, and I was going for a total health overhaul not just weight loss. You know the drill: low cal (I cycled calories - doing 1200-1600/day with an overall average of 1450 for the entire period,) low sodium, high fiber, low glycemic, low sugar, low saturated fat, 120-160 oz. H20, minimal processed foods, 4-6 meals/day, HIIT cardio, heavy resistance training, yada yada yada. Too restrictive and all-or-nothing for some, but for me it worked!

I pretty much maintained in November, losing just a little bit, and then in December I was diagnosed with advanced stage lymphoma. It turned out that little lump I'd ignored, the persistent wheezing and cough that resulted in a misdiagnosis of asthma and a feeling of being really, really rundown were all cancer-related. So I started six months of high dose, bi-weekly chemo in January, and finished in June. I was initially relieved to learn from my oncologist that my chemo regimen didn't include high dose prednisone, a steriod notorious for making you pack on the pounds. Woo hoo! Ok, so if I'm going to go through the **** of chemo, at least I'll drop a few, I thought. No such luck. Turns out I got put on a different steroid, decadron, to manage the nausea and make another of the 4 chemo drugs I was on more sustainable. So I ate. I joked that "I'll kick your *** and THEN I'll take your food!" I packed on about 20-25 pounds during chemo. Not so bad, considering I was hearing of many others who'd gained at least 40. I had 3 months of recuperation and then went back to work full-time. Less than 2 weeks after my last chemo (and they have a cumulative effect) my beloved, incredibly supportive partner of 8 years, Lorraine, was in the emergency room with heart problems which we eventually found out resulted from a variant and particularly aggressive strain of Lyme Disease (she got it from a flying bug, not a tick.) So that pretty much laid her out -- she could barely make it up a flight of stairs -- as I was at my lowest point, physically. But we made it through, somehow. No kids, but 8 animals. Lotta work, if you want a clean and scent-free, well-adjusted home.

I pretty much watched what I ate and started to exercise (no small feat,) but, whereas before chemo I was able to "remain motivated" to plan and then stick to the plan without Lorraine's participation (and she needed to drop a bunch of weight herself but had just quit smoking and just didn't have it to watch her eats too,) this time I really struggled to do it on my own. I just didn't have the resolve I'd had pre-treatment.

My doctors had told me that it would initially be very hard to lose any weight, as the body holds onto everything after having gone through such trauma. Unfortunately, "initially" is when I had the most motivation, since I was feeling so sad and flat out ROBBED by the chemo's effect on my weight loss progress. I felt so interrupted and knocked off course by external events, and I wanted to regain control. When I didn't see results in those early days, it knocked the wind out of my sails. No excuses. I should have seen it through. I should have stuck it out. I didn't though. So after that, while it wasn't [usually] a free for all, I wasn't doing much to do much better than maintain, usually, if that. And no, I didn't maintain.

Since chemo's end last June, I've regained another 20-25 pounds, putting me at an official weight today of 249, with a total regain of 43 pounds.

And that's my line in the sand. I am done. And, thank God, so is Lorraine. Her good news: she just celebrated 10 months smoke-free. Her bad news: her weight is at an all time high, just as she's now got some serious, permanent heart problems as well as some serious, lifestyle-related problems which she could improve or even get rid of if she got her eating and exercise under control. She could probably get off of the 4 heart medicines she's on at present. So she had her click recently.

I did a very good job before of separating my issues from hers, but found that much more difficult this go-round, so I'm so extremely relieved that she seems to have much more seriously made up her mind to change her behaviors. I believe that if we can start together, I'll gain the momentum to continue whether she does or not, and in that way I'll be better able to influence her through my success. That's the plan, anyway.

So I wrote us up tailor-made contracts with very specific eating and exercise guidelines, and today's the first day. She was willing to commit to 3 weeks, since it takes 21 days to create/change a habit, so 3 weeks it is. It's a good start.

I don't speak in absolutes anymore; I speak instead of hopes and intentions. My remission is in question, so I don't know exactly what my future holds. I do know that if I get to live, I sure as **** don't want to do it fat and unhealthy.

So I'm in. I even wrote in my contract that I needed to resume an active presence here and in my blog, so you'll be seeing more of me.

Say a prayer for me, ok? And I'll return the favor.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #59  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeadventurer
Hi folks,

I know I am much more comfortable being naked with my SO and have a desire to move my body a lot more than any other time in the recent past. In a weird way. I don't think I have ever been in a better place. It is just not about the pounds but how I am feeling about my body. Much more accepting and caring than ever before. Like it is a precious gift (my body) that I cherish. That is a pretty radical statement for me! Loathing my body has ALWAYS been a big issue for me.

Even if I don't lose any more weight (I think I will) this feeling of respect and wonderment that I have going regarding my body is something I really cherish. I think it is even better than when I was very attractively slim but hating my body none the less.
Denise this was awesome!! This is what it's about--not numbers on a scale, but health and a good body image.

Thanks!!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #60  

What a great thread! And just the extra blurb of motivation I need as I restart.

I started about 4 years ago. Mostly making small changes towards health. Eventually, I lost about 50 lbs and had hit onederland (just). About a year ago my DH had a supposedly minor surgery that went way awry. He was hospitalized 3 1/2 months (near death often and on a ventilator twice, plus a range of problems too numerous to believe). Then I was able to bring him home for another 3 1/2 months. I lost him in January. Through all this and a round or two of prednisone for my RA, I held pretty well. Since then (and another round of prenisone) I've put on about 13 lbs from my lowest. So while I'm still down about 37 lbs from my high, I'm buckling down a bit more. Have started back to walking and to my water exercises and yesterday went back to my TaiChi based exercise group. For the most part I have not been eating things like fried food or butter/margarine/white bread, etc. Just eating a LOT of other stuff.

The strange thing is that my cholesterol began creeping up during the first year I was cleaning up my act. My triglycerides were at 74 but the cholesterol was creeping up. Just had bloodwork last week and cholesterol is still creeping (don't have full report yet so don't know about trig. They weren't mentioned so I suspect they're still good.)

My prime motivator has always been better health so how much more clearly do I have to see that I need to work at this? DH was on a special health related diet for some years before his death and I could make his work - time to make mine work.

Thanks again for this thread. Glad I checked in just in time to see it.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote