Old 04-26-2006, 01:43 AM   #1  

Default I've fallen and can't get up...

I had an accident on Sunday. In my efforts to be more active, I decided that I'd go for a bike ride. I had gotten my bike out, and made sure there was sufficient air in the tires, and was ready to go. I went back in the house to get my tennis shoes, and passed a spot on the tile. Being the OCD person that I am, I couldn't let it stay there. I cleaned it up and went back to my room and put on my shoes. On my way back to the garage, I had to walk over the spot I just cleaned, but since I now had my tennis shoes on, I couldn't feel the wet floor. So I slipped, my feet went flying up in the air, and all I could think was that I couldn't let my head hit the tile. So I bent forward so that my butt hit first, and then the momentum caused my upper torso to also go backawards. I hit my shoulders agains the wall, and my head hit the corner of the wall. Ouch! It hurt but I thought, I am okay. That was until the blood starting running down my neck - now I was hurting and scared because I was in the house alone. I thought I can't lay here and die - so I crawled over (because I was still seeing stars) to the phone and called my son, who came immediately home. I couldn't see - so he helped me figure out how badly I was hurt. Scalps bleed alot no matter what. So he got me some ice, and I laid down, feeling like an idiot. I didn't want to go to the hospital because I figured if I needed stitches, they'd want to shave my head - and I have a job interview on Wednesday! So I've toughed it out - I seem to be okay. My head's still sore, my butt and back are sore, and my ankle is a bit bruised. I stayed home from work yesterday, and went back today, albeit moving kinda of slowly.

It all makes you feel a little vulnerable about being alone, and getting older, and that I could have really been hurt. It's also really slowed me down this week for exercising. I walked the dogs on a couple of short walks (slowly and carefully), but think I'll not go to ballroom dancing classes this week...

Just when you think you have things under control...
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Awww, I hope you make a speedy recovery. Glad your son was there to help. I hate hurting myself, it's my biggest pet peeve. I hurt easily! Hope you are feeling 100% soon.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Glad to hear that you are on the recovery road. I totaly agree that it's very scary to grow old alone.

Take care of yourself and take it slow.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #4  

Sorry about your accident. It is difficul to be alone when stuff like that happens. I am glad to her your okay.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #5  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlleOdile
Just when you think you have things under control...
Ain't that the truth! Glad you're on the mend!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #6  
Downsizing Dee!

Oh Rhonda, that's terrible. Unfortunately my first reaction was to laugh because I could see myself doing something exactly like that, but my smile quickly faded when I realized that you truly did hurt yourself. I'm happy that you were able to get in touch with your son quickly and that you're on the mend. Good luck on the job interview!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

OUCH!! I sympathize!

Last summer I fell on the stairs while taking our dogs out at 5am! I hurt my coccyx something fierce and was in pain for months.

Amazing how quickly we can go from okay to pain!

Take care of yourself.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I did a similar thing the year before last when I was living alone. I fell down the stairs with one leg going one way and the other going the other way. I basically hurt my knee really badly. It wasn't until after a day of pain and the realization that the pain wasn't going away that led me to the doctor the next day. I ended up getting medication to relieve the swelling and pain, then started physical therapy once the swelling went down. Of course I lived an entire day in agony, thinking the pain would go away.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #9  

OH hon...
I am soooo sorry about your accident...yikes!!!!!!! I hope you are on the mend...I will be thinking of you!!!

Hugs,
Olivia
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #10  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I hope you're feeling better soon! How scary that can be.

I tend to be someone who imagines the worst (car accidents when my husband is late, our daughter getting outside or hurting herself when she gets up before we do, etc.) and one of my fears is falling. I just feel so graceless and weak when I'm so heavy.

Now that I'm more active, it's actually getting better. I don't automatically plan for a fall every time I walk down the stairs, or move from the sidewalk to the cobblestones around my work building (historic buildings are great for tourists, and for history, but sometimes they're a real pain).

That being said, I can REALLY sympathize. Get better. And keep being active. Get back on the horse, so to speak.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #11  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I'm sorry you hurt yourself ~ hope you are feeling better.

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #12  

Thank you all for the kind words. I am slowly getting better... my ankle is a bit swollen and hurts, so I've been wearing tennis shoes to work (ain't that a lovely picture with a suit LOL) Haven't been feeling quite up to par all week... had my interview yesterday... just a screening interview - so we'll see. : ) Have another one on Monday.

Dee - I did write it tongue in cheek... and it was funny, but glad that I didn't end up seriously hurt. Just feel really dumb about the whole process.
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ouch!!!! Hope your feeling better soon!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

***sending Get Well Wishes your way!!!***
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #15  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

glad to see you're recovering ok; good luck with the interviews.

when I shared a room with my sister as a kid, she put her speaker (not a big one) on the curtain rods over my bed. One night it came down on my head, kaboom, cut my scalp so that I was bleeding all over the place. Scared me more than hurt me, luckily.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote