Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

Default Interesting idea....

I saw a Power Point presentation at my group meeting a few weeks ago that had an interesting idea. The body deals with protein, carbohydrates and fats in different ways. We need all of these plus fiber but our reaction to them is different. Carbohydrates for example give us quick energy. There is also a lot of well documented research on the effects of our circadian rhythm on our bodies. Some people are "morning" people and some are "night" people. Our energy level, blood pressure, hormone levels and temperature all are effected by our circadian rhythm.

The premise of the presentation was that by slightly changing the food composition at meals based on your circadian rhythm, you could in effect level out the lag some of us feel mid afternoon. Now, this would not change what you ate over the course of a day - you might for example have more protein at breakfast and lunch and less at dinner for example but the same amounts over all.

Don't know if works, but from the research I have done, it seems at least plausible. I thought I would put it out there if anyone was interested. Also, I found someone wrote a book about this type of thing. I have not read it, but here is a bit about the book and the idea.

Quote:
Each of us has a circadian rhythm--daily cyclical changes in chemistry and behavior--that are measured by shifts in body temperature, blood pressure, heartbeat, breathing, and body chemistries. When our circadian rhythms are disrupted by poor lifestyle choices, optimum health is sacrificed. The Circadian Prescription: Get in Step with Your Body's Natural Rhythms to Maximize Energy, Vitality, and Longevity by alternative health expert Sidney Baker, M.D., with Karen Baar, M.P.H., provides a simple 10-step plan to right your rhythms.
This thought-provoking, clearly written book based on experimental science and the experiences of Dr. Baker's patients will challenge many commonly held nutritional beliefs. At the center of the prescription is the Circadian Diet, a flexible eating plan designed to give the body the fuel it needs when it needs it (according to Baker, that means protein during the day and carbohydrates at night). The plan also includes breathing and meditation techniques, rhythmic exercise, and tips to improve sleep habits, beat jet lag, and overcome odd work shifts. Separate chapters are also devoted to weight loss, the role of intestinal flora and phytonutrients, and the specific needs of women, men, and children.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

It is definitely an interesting concept. I would love to hear if anyone has read the book. I know for myself, I am definitely NOT a morning person and taking that into account for exercise has really helped me get past not being able to do it. When I thought I needed to work out in the morning, I could never get myself up to do it.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

This totally makes sense to me. Very interesting concept. Hmmmm, I am definitely a night owl...and it definitly affects everything including my weight loss or lack of. I'd be curious if any one has read the book and actually tried it!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

The guru's in the Ladies Who Lift threads encourage us to eat protein every few hours for this sort of reason.
I have had a failing glucose tolerance test and find that if I do keep my body fueled with a 'faster release' carb and a 'slower release' protein on a regular basis... I don't have those horrible low muzzy grumpy times.
This type of eating helped me when I worked nights too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Susan: can you give examples of "faster release carbs" and "slower release proteins"?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #6  

Sorry, I was kinda making up terms as I went along.
Like Charles said carbs release energy faster, proteins take longer for the energy to get to you for use. So if you have a meal of carbs and protein, you have a nice mix of energy release that should hold you over until your next feeding.
In my case, it seems to provide a smoother energy day with no blood sugar ups and downs.
I just had a bowl of oatmeal (carb)whipped with egg whites (low fat protein) that will keep me feeling full and give me a nice energy level until probably noon or so.
Is that a better explanation?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #7  
No description available.

This is how I suggest my pregnant ladies eat, also. Always a protein with a carb so that their blood sugar doesn't drop after only an hour or two. Whole wheat toast with a tsp or 2 of peanut butter is going to last longer than the same toast with jam but no peanut butter. Beans and a tortilla, fruit and a hard boiled egg, half a bagel with turkey and cheese...that protein is vital, IMO.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #8  

Midwife, do you have an actual recipe book you are getting this from or just figured it out? I would love to be able to get my hands on a book like that!

Lill/Elva
Lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #9  

I'm going to butt in Elva and suggest you try fitday.com. It's free
I learned an awful lot about nutrition there.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #10  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

Susan,

Have you taken a look at the Spark People website? I was using FitDay to an extent ... ok just to track my weight goal actually lol. But with Spark People, I'm actually documenting my calories and everything now. They even give you a meal plan every day you can follow that's set within the recommended calories they set based upon your activity level and weight loss goal. I've only been using it for a couple days, but I like it. Can't say I agree with everything there, but that's the way it is sometimes lol.
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #11  

To be honest Rhonda, I haven't ever tried anything else but fitday. I struggled away until I got it where I want it and don't dare try anything 'new' I really like it now.
I've also heard good things about nutridiary.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #12  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

I love Spark People. Although I use WW to track my food, I use Spark People for everything else. I think it is great!
Freedom&Light is offline   Reply With Quote