Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 10:53 PM   #1  

Default Well, shoot!!!!

I had this big plan that I was going to eat three meals a day with no snacks and see how that worked. It worked pretty good til I saw the kidney doc on Friday. My tests weren't as good as they had been (but on the up side they weren't as bad as they have been in the past if that makes any sense.) He wants me back on calorie counting, around 1800 max per day, and wants them spread out over a 5 mini meals, and no food after 7 PM unless it is a special holiday or occasion. The directive, as he calls it, is because larger meals stress the kidneys to filter too much too quickly. The no eating after 7 does make sense to me.

I guess one of the "FUN" things about the weight loss journey is that we have to be adaptable.

I also read a neat quote today that says, "Insanity means doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." HMMMM....

Elaine
Old 10-28-2001, 05:59 PM   #2  

I hope my next kidney eval goes well- need to have the test re-run now that I had the bad kidney remoeved and I am on the feeding tube. I wonder what they would say about getting my nutrition since it is running basically 24/7? Hopefully since I am getting less then 2 ounces (about 75 calories or less) it is easier since my kidneys always have the same amount and no big upswings after meals. I do have to watch that the dietician doesn't put me on too high of protien formula and that I get enough water in addition to my formula.

The small meals do make a lot of sence- when I was first seen for the kidney situation it was recomended to not have more then 12-15 grams of protien at one time to give the kidney a chance. Of course with the stomach disease I have I needed too eat small amounts throughout the day so I was pretty much already doing that (even though the stomach problem hadn't been diagnosed yet- the symptoms alone forced me to eat small amounts when I coudl actually eat). It can be hard balancing multiple health problems along with trying to eat healthy- and you and I have to forget any of the 'fad' diets.

Good luck~
Christine
Old 10-29-2001, 01:05 AM   #3  

Smile

Hi yall, while I dont have kidney problems I do have Liver and Sugar problems, I eat a 6 meals a day plan, and it really helps, most meals are around 300 and dinner is sometimes up to 500, so that makes about 2000-2200 cal. I am use to it, and dont feel hungry. It really does seem to help my liver, I havent had a bad attack in like 2 months that is REALLY painful when it happens. I need to see a nutricianist soon too to help more... with things like the right foods. Hope everything gets better for you two also
Love Kathlean
Old 10-29-2001, 09:32 AM   #4  

"Insanity means doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." HMMMM....

Teach..I absolutly love that saying! So so true!
Closed Thread