Old 03-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #16  
Crazy Canuck

Oh yes, nothing like a good Guy Fawkes day fire, but I'm not sure I want you associating me with a traitorous Brit just because I gave up my citizenship to become a Canadian.

G is dying to see that Vendetta movie, but I said I'd only go if he watched Brokeback Mountain with me first.

P.S. - Thanks, Lena, I asked G about it and he "sang" it for me "da da da dum dum...da da"

Last edited by Jillegal; 03-25-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #17  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnyc
Try this: all the people in my immediate family (mother, sister, sons) and the father of my children forget to eat if they are busy. I NEVER forget a meal. In fact, I often think of the next meal while I'm eating the current one.
heh heh heh, I hear you on this one.

I bet one day they will find that switch, you know, biologically speaking. And they'll have some sort of cure. It will be the day I lose my last lb. Ahhhh.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #18  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryA
How much steak can you eat and still want more?
*Snort* That's a joke, right? Crikey, I can eat way over half my daily allowance on prime beef (or any other good meat, for that matter) at one sitting! It isn't always carbs that do people in.

Last edited by DishyFishy; 03-25-2006 at 05:15 PM.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

In the last 22 months - I have discovered a few things about my switch.
  1. I actually have one. I just never paid any attention to it.
  2. The switch is slow. It takes about 20 to 25 minutes for it to kick in. I could eat 2000 calories in that first 20 minutes if I ate fast enough -which I used to do.
  3. Eating more smaller meals and eating them over time - I eat in courses as much as possible - lets me hear that switch.
  4. Eating 5000 calories per day - like I used to - you have so much food, you effectively drown out the switch signal.
  5. The switch does not measure calories - it measures bulk - weight and volume. Foods that are very calorie dense - you can eat a lot of them and pack on some serious calories and never get that signal from your switch. (Research has proved this to be the case)
We can all relearn to have that switch. However, for me - I still fight with I want a lot of something and so what if I am full. I have to fight that still from time to time. However, I know that I am not hungry - I just want it. That is 1/2 the battle I think.

I wish everyone the very best.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #20  
One pound at a time...

I am a little late to the thread, but I did want to chime in. I wanted to echo everything that has already been said. I do believe we are wired different. I am not convinced that I have flipped the manual switch as of yet. I am learning to realize the difference between satisfied and full. I think it will take quite a while to do it automatically. There was something I learned in a course I took last week about how behaviour is influenced. One of the things that we were taught is that adults go through 4 stages of learning:

Stage 1-Unconcious Incompetence-"You don't know what you don't know"
Stage 2-Concious Incompetence-"You know you don't know"
Stage 3-Concious Competence-"You have to think about what you know"
Stage 4-Unconcious Competence-"You don't have to think about what you know"-i.e. like driving your car.

The stage I am at right now with the switch is probably "Concious Competence". I have to think about my portions and pay attention to what my body is telling me. I hope to one day get to "Unconcious Competence" where I will not have to think about. I think that is where the natural think people are at. Their eating behaviour and styles are so ingrained, that they don't need to think about it.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #21  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

Default The Switch

I used to think I didn't have a switch, but I do! I think Charles78's observations are pretty much right on for me. I think I have always had the switch, but I never learned to listen to it. I used to eat until I was so stuffed that I felt bloated for hours. I can't do that now (thank goodness).

Now I find myself distinguishing between real hunger and "I want to eat" hunger. I used to be one of those people who could never skip a meal, and now I can (though I don't do it intentionally). I have only been working with the switch for a few months now. My switch flipped on after a month or so of calorie restriction. It was like my body decided it really could live with 1500 calories instead of 3000 or something and I started to notice that I was really thirsty instead of hungry and I felt pleasantly full (not stuffed) for the first time ever.

I still have trouble when I eat things that I particularly like (pasta...). It's more of a mental battle than anything else. I have to convince myself that I really don't need it, and I will live another day to eat it again, and sometimes I can save it for leftovers to eat tomorrow.

I have a real weakness for soda. I hate the taste of diet, and I try to drink lots of water, but I feel like I miss the carbonation. I'll have to search around for something low-calorie to replace soda. I tried plain carbonated water, but I find it kind of bitter.

SherryA's comment about ice cream vs. ice water is interesting. I'll have to try that!

I just hope I can continue to listen to the switch and not lose it again.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #22  

I can honestly say that i have that switch, but does not works all the time. Depends on the situation:

situation 1 : I am at chinese all you can eaut buffet. I eat won-ton soup + 1 big serving of food. Switch is on and a second plate is out of the question.

Situation 2: I am at home watching a movie. I have on small bag of chips, then 1 chocolate bar, then 1 litre soda, then i order pizza. Switch is definetely off.

My whole point is that when i eat big amounts of food; i feel full very rapidly. On the othere hand, if i eat small servings of food, i can keep it coming for long....
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #23  
Gonna win the battle!!

S/C/G: 226/213/130

I think I have the switch too, I just ignore it. I am trying to listen but the food is calling my name louder. LOL I hope someday I can do it with out thinking about it too. I hate having to think about food all the time. I just want to feel hunger, eat something, what ever, and than stop and not think twice about it. Now I think about food all the time. What can I have, oh I cant have that, too bad, ok so I can have this but how much blah blah blah. I hate it. But it is worth it if it gets the job done, I just dont want to do it forever. I hope eating healthy becomes a habit!!! The bad habits I can pick up in 2 seconds why cant the good ones be as easy? I use to hate apples, but now I am finding I love them as a snack. They feel me up faster and longer. So now I have that. I love exercising. I look forward to it everyday now. So I think with time it will all fall into place if only I could ignore the food calling me. When its good, oh baby!

This thresd is so funny, I can relate to all of it. Good luck guys and gals!!!
ladybugfun is offline   Reply With Quote