Old 02-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 65 pounds lost -- why am I depressed NOW?

I feel like I've come to some new realization recently. Either a lightbulb or being hit over the head by a 2x4, pick your analogy.

My epiphany? At just about 300 pounds, I was really fat.

I've lost 65 pounds and am thrilled about that. I feel better all the time, have more energy, and am loving the fact that I fit into smaller clothes. In so many ways my new lifestyle is going really well. I'm in a real groove both eating and exercise-wise. I have a sense of control I haven't had in years (which I do NOT take for granted!)

So, why am I getting depressed NOW about my weight?

Don't get me wrong. I was very depressed about it this summer before I started losing. When I couldn't fit into the new size 28 pants I'd bought. I wanted to crawl into a hole. But as I took control back of my life, I've been feeling great!

The thing is, I think I've started to realize just how out of control I had let things get. I looked at pictures taken of me this weekend, and on the one hand, I can see how far I've come, but on the other hand, I think: "Crap, how fat WAS I?"

I also went to the mall this weekend for the first time since last summer, and I'm now getting into size 20! YES! But I realized that I have lost 65 pounds and still am a LONG WAY from being able to buy clothing at almost any store in the mall (stupid retailers). I have lost 65 pounds and still anyone who meets me will code me as a "fat chick". Let's fact it, I have lost 65 pounds and am still nearly morbidly obese!

Denial is a powerful force, and I know from other recent threads here that other people have experienced it too. I mean, I knew I was fat. Obese even. But I think I was in denial about Just. How. Fat. I. Was. Or just what obese meant (I didn't realize I was squarely in the category morbidly obese until I was nearly out of it).

Does it make sense that I am only really coming to realize this now?

And don't worry, I am in no way going back to my old ways... I am loving being on this path. I just can't believe how in denial I was (and maybe still am??) about my weight and appearance.

Last edited by Heather; 02-20-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

It makes perfect sense to me. I've lost over 100 lbs. in total, and only recently am I getting to the point where I'm seriously depressed over how I was before. I've had a hard time with focusing too much on what I missed out on when I was bigger (and I've been big all my life). Plus, I'm having a big problem with stretch marks and flabby skin, so I keep kicking myself over my past actions instead of congratulating myself on what I've been able to do.

So, know that you're not alone. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat, so I don't have many words of advice. I'm still determined to lose these last few pounds, but I'm having a hard time coming to the realization that I'll never be able to change the past and that I'm always going to have reminders (mentally and physically) of where I was.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #3  
Jennifer

You are not alone. I have felt, and feel, exactly the way you described.

I honestly believe that becoming as overweight as most of us have been requires a certain amount of denial. I've heard countless members of this forum say that at their highest weight, they stopped looking at themselves in the mirror, wouldn't allow people to take photos, etc. I remember a big light bulb moment for me was getting back a pack of pictures after a holiday. I stared at the photos, completely aghast... was that actually me? Could I POSSIBLY be that big? I looked at myself every day in the mirror, but I wasn't really seeing what was there.

The bad part is that once the light comes on, it stays on, and it sometimes shows us things we don't like to see. To be completely honest, sometimes I "feel" more overweight at 148 pounds than I did when I weighed 270. I know it makes no sense, but it's true. Sometimes the reminders of where I've been -- the stretch marks, the loose skin, the old photos -- are almost too much to take.

But here's the positive spin I put on it... we have to use this new-found clarity (even if it's sometimes distorted) to keep us from ever going back to that place. I know I feel better than I ever have -- I'm thrilled to call myself "fit" -- and I NEVER want to be obese again. I never want to be in that much denial about what I'm doing to my body and my health.

Just know that it makes total sense, at least to me. But please don't forget to celebrate your weight loss at every turn - you've done a fantastic job & we're proud of you!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Erin and Jennifer. Just knowing that I'm not the only one feeling this way helps! I KNOW I need to celebrate (and I do), but I think that's tinged with this sadness now, just as you describe. While it's kind of depressing to hear that this lightbulb may stay on for good, maybe that's exactly what I need. I never want to be HERE again (at 230), much less back at 300 pounds, and maybe this will help me maintain a sense of determination!

Maybe I need to be able to be ANGRY for what I did to myself... because as I think about it, maybe I am not depressed but furious at myself for what I did!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
The thing is, I think I've started to realize just how out of control I had let things get. I looked at pictures taken of me this weekend, and on the one hand, I can see how far I've come, but on the other hand, I think: "Crap, how fat WAS I?"

I also went to the mall this weekend for the first time since last summer, and I'm now getting into size 20! YES! But I realized that I have lost 65 pounds and still am a LONG WAY from being able to buy clothing at almost any store in the mall (stupid retailers). I have lost 65 pounds and still anyone who meets me will code me as a "fat chick". Let's fact it, I have lost 65 pounds and am still nearly morbidly obese!
Wyllenn,
Thanks for being so honest. I feel just like you ... I have not lost nearly as much but I feel that same way. Sadly, I did put weight back on. So good for you for facing this and being honest. The thing that snapped in my head was looking back at pants I used to wear and seeing how big they were...
OhMomx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #6  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Well, what everyone is saying makes complete sense to me. We do have such distorted views of ourselves, don't we? But, I guess the only suggestion that we can only think of ourselves in the NOW. We can only live in the NOW. What happened yesterday, and what happens tomorrow we can't control...we only have control of today. It is not worth beating up ourselves over something we did in the past. We did the best we could at the time. Seriously....let's live in the now. Not easy, still working on this myself! Congrats on your weight loss...what a great victory, you are my inspiration, truly!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #7  

i understand too, i started weight loss on nov 15 and i've lost about 34 pounds. but sometimes i want to cry, i lay and bed and try to figure out why i did this to myself. i am worried about it never going away, about anything i can think of. I just got to keep telling myself that once i get were i need to be i am never going back. ever.
kATIECANDOTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #8  
One pound at a time...

I agree with Jennifer, it all comes down to our body image. I am amazed that at my highest weight, I could not "see" myself. We certainly are resourceful when it comes to avoiding the camera, mirrors, etc. Wyllenn, don't beat yourself up! You have lost 65 lbs! What an accomplishment! When I look at pictures of me a year ago, I think my brain is now seeing what I actually looked like. A very sobering thought. But I am so glad I am not that way now. Yes, I have a ways to go, but I ain't going back!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Maybe when you were heavier, you supressed many of your emotions with food. Now that you don't have that as a crutch, you are free to feel those 'real' feelings.

Stay in your groove and do what you know works and hopefully this will pass.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #10  

It makes perfect sense to me too - you aren't alone by a long shot.

I recently started organizing some photographs and came across one of the very few of me. It was from the summer before I started to lose weight and I was at my highest, 214. My first thought was that I had no idea I had been that big. And, quite frankly, it made me really mad at myself. Not so much for having gotten that big to begin with but for not having done something about it much sooner. Like others have said I was in denial. It wasn't a matter of me not knowing I was that fat. It boiled down to my refusal to ACCEPT that I was that fat.

Like Jennifer, I often feel bigger now then I did back then. It isn't the stretch marks or loose skin (I have been luckily spared from them with the exception of my stomach) but the fact that I "see" myself now. First of all, I LOOK more often. There was a stretch of time from 148 pounds to about a week ago when I really felt thin. I thought I looked thin. It felt great. But, I wasn't honestly assessing myself. I was COMPARING the 138 pound me to the 214 pound me and, in comparison I was thin. Then something happened. I got used to and content at 138. I haven't forgotten what it was like being 214 pounds but I've accepted that I will never go back there. I no longer have that fear factor that makes me compare my body now to my body then. A couple of days ago that light bulb went off for me and, for the first time, saw my current weight for what it was - nowhere near where I want to be (okay,okay, "near" is a relative term and I realize that. But I swear trying to lose just 20 pounds now seems as daunting a task as losing 98 pounds did way back when). All of a sudden I look in the mirror and see a fat me again. And my first reaction was very similar to what you described in you post. I mulled those feelings over for a few days and finally decided that enough is enough. It doesn't really matter where I've been, or where I am now. What matters is where I WANT to be and what I am going to do to get there. And that was it. I was ready to really throw myself back into losing weight.

So, no, you aren't alone. You have come a long way and you have every right to feel proud of accomplishments. I think it is fine to recognize and accept where you've been but it is very important to look ahead. If realizing you were bigger than you thought you were motivates you then great. Use that to your advantage. But if it gets you down or impairs your efforts embrace the fact that you know you aren't going back there and then let it go.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #11  

Default I feel for you!!

I totally agree with everyone. What really gets me is when people tell me how much better I look. I just want to ask them if I was that horrific berore. Either way, I am proud of myself and my accomplishments and although I have only lost 32 lbs, I feel a big difference and feel like I can make it. I have amazing support from my family and my coworkers. Any day I am depressed or feel like giving up, thier support brings me around. I think the biggest thing for me has been realizing that this lifestyle change was not as hard as I thought it would be. I spent years worried about what my life would be like if I couldn't go out to dinner every night or have the food I wanted. Now that I am eating healthier and exercising, I realize just how great I feel and never want to go back to the way I was before.
kellann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
I totally agree with everyone. What really gets me is when people tell me how much better I look.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. Howie and I talk about this. This last week, someone said "You're so handsome now!!" then backpeddled and said, "Not that you weren't before, I mean!".

I have lost 72 pounds (actually was 78, but I've regained some this last month) and the depressed feeling hit me around the same time as you, right around 65 pounds lost. At first glance, it makes no sense to feel ungrateful and sad after such an accomplishment, but all the reasons people have listed here make perfect sense when you look more closely. I'm still struggling with those feelings, especially after regaining some of my lost pounds.

For me it's that realization that I will, indeed, have to be forever obsessed with what goes in my mouth. Where before I was obsessed just wanting more and more, now I must be meticulous in accounting for what makes it past the gatekeeper (me).

Howie and I really appreciate the insight everyone here sheds on so many facets of weight loss, from the physical stuff through the mind games.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm definitely far more aware of my weight and my looks than I ever was at my highest, and sometimes I still can't see the difference. For example, my stomach is still a similar shape as it was, and proportionately the same compared to surrounding parts of my body. So when I look at it it still looks like it's sticking out and being flabby, with the addition of some wrinkly looking skin on it (I'm painting a lovely picture here ). What I often ignore is the fact that it only still looks oversized because the part of my body it's sticking out of has also shrunk at the same rate as it's shrunk, and that when you put the package together I'm a lot smaller than I was.

I also find that as I forget what it was like to be obese I forget how much of a difference this has made. If I'd gone to sleep at 260 and woken up at 166 then I'm sure I'd have noticed a huge difference in every part of my life. But it came off gradually, and I just can't remember what it was like to carry that amount of weight round. So sometimes I really don't appreciate the difference it has made. All I notice is that I'm still carrying fat around that I don't want. I forget about the fat that hasn't been there for the past year (I was shocked to realise the other week that I haven't been obese for 6 months!). As it recedes into the depths of my memory I feel less thrilled for having got rid of it.

I think the reality starts to hit too, that you've done so much but still aren't finished. But giving up isn't an option. If you stick with it hopefully you'll come through the tunnel and start feeling bright and cheery again. I'll cross my fingers for you!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #14  
2006 - Panda Remix

I understand this Wyllenn.

My take on it is that maybe when we are at our biggest we have such low self esteem that we don't value our bodies as much. It is only now that you are feeling better about yourself and love yourself more that you can look back and feel genuinely sad about how you treated yourself.

That's how I feel about it anyway - I feel sad that I let myself get into such a state - but soooooooo happy that I have now broken out of that behavoiur pattern and self abuse.

It's hard not to look back and feel sad about what we've put ourselves through, what we've missed out on - I guess we have to turn that into something positive and use it as a reminder to ourselves to say 'never again'.

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE IS GOING/WENT THROUGH THIS!!!

I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with me that I am way more uncomfortable about my body now than I was 54 pounds ago. I am far more concerned with how clothing looks, and now refuse to wear things that I would have been thrilled with before. I videotaped myself horseback riding this past weekend to be able to do a comparison with how I was riding 8 months ago and rather than noticing the difference in my size in the video over the past one, I was pointing out how much weight I still have to lose. It took my mother watching the video's with me to point out the things I was missing. Even though I still look (to my eyes!) huge on the horse, I was actually riding a much smaller horse, one that I would not have been able to ride 50 pounds ago. The biggest difference for me though was watching the fact that I was only able to trot for 2 laps of the ring during the first video and for 15 minutes straight on the second. On the first video after my laps, I hung panting over the side of the horse for a few minutes recovering. On the second, I was immediately able to go into the next gait. So even though I still have a lot of work to do, there has been huge progress and that is what I need to focus on!!!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote