A "high" from sweatin'!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I joined the gym last night and sweated for the first time in a LONG LONG time. I loved it, and that "high" stayed with me all the way home, in the shower, cleaning, cooking, sleeping, when I woke up and even now. I am really looking foward to my workout tonight. I couldn't believe what 1 workout would do for me. I just found this article on Yahoo. Does anyone else feel this good after working out?

A single 30-minute walk on a treadmill can give a temporary emotional lift to patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder, the results of a small study suggest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Researchers found that among 40 men and women recently diagnosed with major depression, those who spent just a half hour on a treadmill reported a short-term improvement in energy and emotional well-being.

Though a single workout is not the answer to clinical depression, the researchers say, exercise could offer depressed patients a way to give themselves an emotional boost.

SINGING *Walkin on sunshine...wooohooo* Don't you wanna slap me?!?
  • Awesome Jennifer! I know it is great when you get that high from working out, it means you will keep it up and that you are enjoying it. I heard a similar report on the news today as well, that a 30 minute brisk walk a day is good for your mental health.
  • I am a living testament to how much eating healthily and especially EXERCISE can affect one's mental state. I spent much of my life with major depression, taking meds and going weekly to the psychiatrist. But since I started my this journey a year and a half ago, I am SO MUCH healthier in just about every way, but particularly emotionally. I don't take any meds now and am shockingly stable (my husband sure has noticed!)

Jennifer, I think you're really onto something! Once it becomes a habit, I bet you'll find something feels really off when you aren't able to work out.

Congrats to you & keep up the good work!
  • I love that you're feeling so great after working out, Jennifer! Long may that continue.

Though I agree that it can help lift the spirits, I hate that exercise is touted as a cure for depression. (I know that's not what you're doing; I'm referring to my past personal experiences.) When I was in the throes of a major depressive episode (and I've had many), there were a lot of days when I couldn't even get dressed, let alone go out for a brisk walk. This little detail didn't stop the advice from the world and his wife to "just get out and exercise".

It's been some years since I was this debilitated by depression, and these days I find that exercise definitely helps keep my mood elevated. That's because my chronic depression is generally quite mild (with a few moderate bouts), and doesn't prevent me from actually living life, and therefore being able to exercise. </>
  • Oh yes, exercise makes me feel SO much better. I start feeling restless if I don't do anything.
  • I get that "high" too and I LOVE it! Even on days when I have to talk myself into going to the gym I find myself not wanting to stop once I get moving. Exercise clears my head, makes me feel confident and strong - it just feels good. And that feeling does stick with me for a long time. That is one of the reasons I switched to working out first thing in the morning. I used to enjoy going to the gym at night becuase I was able to let off some steam and relax at the end of the day. But, by going in the morning, I find that stress doesn't build up throughout the day to begin with so there isn't much to unwind from anymore.
  • That's wonderful, Jennifer!

After a series of losses a number of years ago, I became depressed to the point where I couldn't get out of bed. Once I started on medication, I was then able to get out and walk, which I think helped get me off medication much sooner. That and volunteering. I really credit volunteering with getting me out of my own head and thinking about other people (well, in my case it was animals, but you know what I mean).
  • Fishy, I definitely didn't mean to suggest exercise as a cure-all (sorry if it came across that way!), but I will say that in my case, it was clearly a chicken-egg thing. When I was mostly sedentary, the lack of exercise and feeling bad about my weight definitely made things much worse . On the other hand, I am *certain* the exercise and weight loss have helped control my depressive episodes considerably.
  • Jenniffer,

I remember you being here a long time ago when I was also here. I just got back into the site this week. What all happened to you since (you don't have to give me details, just general stuff)? The last I knew you were buying a house. I think it was back in 2002-2003 and it seems you had many other issues going on. Glad to see you are still involved.

DNR
  • I love that feeling after working out!
  • Quote: Fishy, I definitely didn't mean to suggest exercise as a cure-all (sorry if it came across that way!),
    I know you didn't mean that, and that's not how it came across at all. That's why I wrote, "[...] I'm referring to my past personal experiences.)". If I'd had a pound (£, not lb.! ) for every time someone did mean it though, both doctors and "lay people", I'd be a rich lady.

I'm glad healthy living has had such a positive impact upon you (and you look fantastic to boot!), and I'm sure it's helped keep the black dog in check for me too. All I was trying to say was that it was impossible for me to get moving whilst I was immobilised by depression. Starting from such a position wasn't an option at a time when I needed to be talked through the procedure for tying my shoelaces or making a cup of tea. Yes, it was that bad at times. Now that I'm out of that situation, and in a position to exercise, I can recognise and reap all the benefits it brings.

I really wasn't getting at what you, or anyone else, wrote. I was just taking the opportunity to vent past frustrations.
  • I went to the gym last night too...oooh, felt good. I wish I could go in the morning, but I just can't. My bed is too comfy and all of my "self promises" go out the window at 6 am.

DNR *HUGS*. Yep, been a long time. I crawled back in here Jan 2nd, and was blessed that so may remembered me. Welcome back to you too! Uhm, it a nutshell, I was divorced 4 years ago officially on Christmas Eve (******* is remarried now). I was laid off 3 years ago (blessing in disguise). I now have a great extremely busy and stressful job and a wonderful boyfriend. And I gained each and every 60 lbs I lost previously back and then some. I am in a good place right now. Thank you for remembering me, how have you been?
  • I get that great high from exercising as well! I get so pumped up I don't want to stop. I love that feeling. I don't understand why it's so hard to just do it when I know I'll feel that great afterwards!
  • I went back to the gym last night for the 1st time in a long time. Yep! It felt great. Packed my bag and I plan on going back tonight!!!

There is no way for me to go in the morning, I wish there were.
  • Jenniffer,

You seem to have your life in order, but then that doesn't surprise me. You were always on top of things!!! I remembered that you were possibly getting divorced - but it sounds like you have survived that as well. I've been there and done that and things keep getting better for me as I go through life. I think you will find that is true for you too. Sometimes you wonder how many times you have to yank those boot straps up.

I will be a grandma in about 6 weeks and am excited about that. I got my degree in interior design - graduated in 2003 and started working in that field. Absolutely loved the work, but the pay really sucked - most of the jobs in that field in this area are commission only and waiting to be paid was the worst part of it. I was used to making good money as a secretary, so after 2 years, I came back to secretarial work and do the design stuff on the side, as I feel like it. Now I have the best of both worlds.

I also know what it's like to gain all the weight back and start over but this time my attitude is quite different and I think I'll be able to do this for life. Since everything else seems to be in order for me, I can concentrate on this now and get it fixed. You'll get it done too - I have faith.

Take care - stay in touch.

DNR