Old 01-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #1  
Big Ol' loser

Default Show on obesity on TLC

did anyone see the show on tlc last night about obesity?
It was really interesting. I can't find the name online. But it really is a wakeup on some issues its from all different view points.
Good watch. I'll look for the name tonight.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Darn, I wish I could have watched it. Was it Big as Life: Obesity in America. It was 60 minutes long? (Individuals discuss personal challenges; clubs for overweight people; weight-loss surgery.) I also see Half Ton Man was on last night. Wish I watched both!
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I want to say it was half a ton or something like that. I only caught a couple bits of it.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #4  

Post TLC last night

I caught the first episode about the 600 lb woman who had gastric bypass, and also saw some of the episode about the half ton man. Both of those were eye opening shows. It really put my weight loss goals into perspective!!!
kellann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

They played all three shows last night, repeating Jackie's Story and Half-Ton Man. I didn't catch the Big As Life, because I didn't see it on until 1:00 am.

Jackie's Story was an interesting show. But I found myself really not liking the guy from the Half-Ton Man. His attitude stunk! His wife would be asked a question by the reporter, and he would shout his answer over her. He was very adamant that it was not his eating habits that caused him to be that large, but was genetics. However, that whole show was not about him. It also profiled several over very large people, and I found those portions very interesting.

I only saw a few minutes of Big As Life, before I fell asleep... Maybe they'll replay it again soon. I know that Jackie's Story was on not too long ago, and I think the Half-Ton Man was, as well.
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Here's another thread that sort of corresponds.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72895
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I saw "Jackie's Story" a few weeks ago, and it sounds like this might have been what you're talking about. Boy did that one scare the beejezus out of me. I started crying when she coudln't get in the van. It was heartbreaking.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #8  
Big Ol' loser

Thats it- Big as life.

What I liked is they had an extreme dieter (eating 600 cals a day or less) but weighing over 300lbs. They had a person who had the old 'stomach stapling' procedure, a person who accepted how they were. there was an attorney who represented fat people. The show said 'fat people' all the time. I always think of fat as a negative thing to say, they acted like it was the new pc thing to say.
They had doctors who blamed it on genetics and one who said it was eating. Anyway it went back and forth to every possible idea.
They had an interesting point something like a person who weighs a certain amout (don't remember) has to eat 4000 calories to maintain their weight. the point they made was that it takes very little over that to gain. So if you are 'fat' then you'd gain weight easier.
The other thing they said was something that rang true for me. I was talking to a lady at work about weight loss surgery and she said her doctor made her eat certain foods and she had to exercise SIX days a week. At the time I was thinking if I did that now I'd lose weight- hence being where I am now- at weight watchers. The lady on tv said if we all were doing that now why would we need to get surgery. And I thought at least I got one thing right. I know that its not the easy way out to have the surgery, it just seems unnecessary at my weight to get it done. ya know?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 AM   #9  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I also say Jackie's Story a couple weeks ago. I thought it was a really good show and I liked that it showed how she struggled with the surgery instead of just showing her weight melting off.

I also watched a show that I can't remember the name of it.. it was about a 16 year old boy that was obese and he had a gastric bypass. That was really interesting as well, although they just showed his weight melting away

I do really like shows like these because it lets me see into the lives of other people struggling with basically the same thing as I struggle with. Perhaps not to the intensity of getting a WLS, but the problems and outlook of it. You learn a lot from them.
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #10  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

I happened to be downstairs in the gym working out while those shows were on - I stayed and watched all three of them!! They were both amazing and heartbreaking. A wakeup call for me, definitely. I think all three shows were very well done.
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #11  
gym junkie

S/C/G: 252/222/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellann
I caught the first episode about the 600 lb woman who had gastric bypass, and also saw some of the episode about the half ton man. Both of those were eye opening shows. It really put my weight loss goals into perspective!!!

I was going to type pretty much the same thing.
I feel a lot better about my body and my goals after watching it.

It was a really good show... very eye opening.
cambri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Darn I missed them again! I really want to see this. I see it's not scheduled any times from now to 2/2/06. Anyone knows when this will be on again next, please post.
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #13  
Big Ol' loser

I think that is the soonest time. I looked and didn't see it anyday this week.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I don't know if you have the Discovery Health Channel, but it's going to be on today at 3:00 (Central time). And it repeats Jan. 30 4:00 a.m. It's only the one about Kathy, though. It's strange, because they usually show them back to back.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote