3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Self understanding (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/73385-self-understanding.html)

Formylittleguy 01-18-2006 08:40 PM

Self understanding

This time I've been tyring to understand what it is about me that lead to an abnormal relationship with food. I know we live in a society where we have access to so much and I know I'm not the only one but I also realize that there is a mental thing going on that I need to address but I'm not sure how. In the past I've always seemed to blow it right around Onderland. Has anyone managed to work through it? My fear of regaining it again is already hitting me. I know how to lose weight but I don't know if I can change what it is about me that makes me gain weight.

mthrgoos68 01-18-2006 09:54 PM

Iwish I had some words of wisdom for you. I wish I had them for me too, because I still don't get it. I know that I love food and that I find comfort in food. I hate it that loosing weight, and then maintaining it, is going to be a constant battle. I don't think that I'll ever have a normal relationship with food. You're so right, it would be so much better to address the issue and be able to overcome it, then it is to constantly feel like you're fighting yourself, but I don't know how to do it either.

I know that developing new habits (exercise, healthy eating) helps a lot, but it's so easy to slip back into the old comfortable routine.

I hope that somebody has some actual good advice for this, I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one that feels that way.

Sheila53 01-18-2006 11:13 PM

I checked out a book called Runaway Eating from the library. I hope it has some insights into this. I'll let you know! :)

elmay 01-19-2006 12:12 AM

I know for me, I associate thin with weak. I also start to feel uncomfortable when people notice my weight loss or body.

So far, my coping mechanisms are writing about it, talking about it, and focusing on becoming strong. I think I'll eventually take a self-defense class as well so that I know that I can take care of myself in a fight.

ChocLabLover 01-19-2006 08:09 AM

For me, it always comes down to body image and also feeling okay with the new lifestyle that I have chosen. Most other "diets" I have done were diets in the sense that I felt deprived all the time but I just wanted to get the weight off an be done with it. However, once I hit goal, I had no idea on how to maintain and just resorted to my old eating patterns and guess what, gained it all back (and then some) :o . Now, I am concious of my eating and adapting to a lifestyle that I can live with. The weight may be coming off a lot slower this time around, but I am learning a lifestyle that will stick with me this time around. Will I slip and fall off the wagon, absolutely, many times I am sure. I also know I will always be fighting with the "inner" fat girl once I hit goal, because the lifestyle and the eating habits must continue. Will always be successful winning out over the inner fat girl, no, but I keep trying and everyday it will get easier.