Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy Need some support today

I posted this on the weigh in thread..but it's not going to get much attention there..so I'll start a new thread.

OK...it's Thursday and it's taking EVERYTHING I've got to even come and post on this weigh-in thread !!!

Last Thursday I was thrilled to report a 2.2 pound loss in the first few days of the month...but this week I'm bewildered, and furious with myself.

This morning I weighed in at 198.8 That is a gain of 3.6 pounds in one week!! I did not do well on the food front this week, but there's no way I went over by 12,600 calories!!

The only thing I can think of is..I have tonsilitis (strange for an adult, isn't it?) and started a course of Amoxycillin two days ago. Does anyone know if antibiotics are associated with short term weight-gain..or water retention?

Anyway...I'm pissed off..and sad..and disgusted..and confused at the moment. Hopefully it's not the truth and I'll have something good to add next Thursday.

I've also decided to go ahead and adjust my ticker..I had previously said that I wasn't going to do that until it was in the right direction..but then I won't have this disturbing number to remind me to smarten up! That's 8.8 pound I have to do ALL OVER again

Ok, done my whining..
Comfort and virtual butt kickings gladly accepted!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Linda, gains just suck, especially when it is so unexplainable. I have noticed in the past that if I let my food get a bit out of whack for one week it wasn't uncommon for me to gain 2-4 pounds. I'm like you though there was no way I had all those extra calories to account for that amount of gain. A lot of it could be you are retaining more water.

Kudos to you for having the courage to post your gain on the weigh-in thread. I have no doubt in my mind that you will get these new 3.6 pounds off and the rest and be heading back in the right direction. I hope you get over your tonscillitus soon and get to feeling better.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #3  
Downsizing Dee!

Oh Linda

I was just about to go back and respond in the weigh-in thread when I saw you posted here. I don't think you need a kick in the butt from me, you seem to have done a pretty good job of doing that for yourself.

You've come so far and done so well. You're an inspiration to all those who are struggling trying to get to Onderland. You've done it. 8 pounds is just a small drop in the bucket and you know that it will come off in no time at all when you buckle down to it.

Give yourself a little time to get better and then see what the damage really was. I don't think for one minute that it's really 8 pounds of fat. That seems damn near impossible to me.

Chin up now!!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #4  
Jennifer

The best advice I can give you is just to wait it out. I overate like crazy over the holidays, and the scale initially said I gained 10 pounds. Turns out after a couple of days it was clear that it was really about four or five... still completely disheartening but more manageable. I think off-plan food tends to be loaded with carbs and sodium, which translates into a LOT of water weight. Maybe you should try NOT weighing yourself for a week (easier said than done!), getting the food under control, then weighing in again.

I know how hard it is when you feel like you're re-losing weight you already lost. It SUCKS. But maybe focus your energies on getting your good habits together rather than watching the scale.

Just my 2 cents. You're doing great, Linda, and we're very proud of you. You're looking (and must be feelin) fabulous! Hang in there and remember that it's all about the long term.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #5  
One pound at a time...

Linda, You have so much more courage than I do . I have not been on a scale except before Christmas and I am terrified of what it is going to say (w-day is tonight). You are doing so well, please do not beat yourself up about it. I know when I get sick, I gain weight, and I think it is just our body's way of healing, keeping the water in. Keep at it, this is just a minor blip.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Linda: Someone posted on my blog that they didn't panic about a gain unless it was over 3 lbs for over 3 days. Our bodies are SOOO weird regarding this weight thing!

You've come so far! Don't get discouraged!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Linda,

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have been sick. When you get to feeling better, you'll be back where you were in no time.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #8  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

I take several meds and I know according to the side effects they can cause weight gain by water retention. Celebrex does that to me even though it is not an antibiotic. Go to WebMd and see the side effects.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #9  

Your body does all kinds of crazy things when it is sick, I wouldn't panic unless you have gone WAY off your plan. Drink lots of water, get plenty of rest, take your medicine and take care of yourself.

This is about health as well as weight loss right? So let yourself recover and then get right back at it.
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #10  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Linda, you are such a terrific person, please don't let that scale determine your worth today. Or ever!

I think next week you will see a loss. You've been sick, give yourself a break!

-Aimee
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
Linda: Someone posted on my blog that they didn't panic about a gain unless it was over 3 lbs for over 3 days. Our bodies are SOOO weird regarding this weight thing!

You've come so far! Don't get discouraged!
I totally agree with that. Compare how much you've already lost with the small fluctation (and that's what it is, I promise ), and you'll see which is the bigger number. You'd rather be 198 than where you started, right? Your weight will go up and down, mine does, and that's entirely natural. Just hang on in there, and I'm sure it will go back down again when you're feeling better.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249.4/210.0/140

Don't let this one "little" gain discourage you. You may have lost this battle with the bulge, but you need to focus on winning the war instead.

We have all certainly been there at some time in our lives and let it get us down. And look where we ended up! Keep focused on what you are doing and you WILL win this time!

Good luck!
Sara
Scrappy Chick is offline   Reply With Quote