What's Your Holiday Strategy?

• I've heard what seem to be a couple of different holiday eating strategies and am interested in how people are approaching this.

Are you going to eat sensibly mostly but let yourself splurge a bit? A lot?
    Are you going to still count calories/points or otherwise stay completely on plan?

I will be visiting my family around Christmas for a couple of days, and due to some issues, it is likely to be a stressful visit. I think I am going to just try to be sensible and remain aware of what I am eating, but I don't think I'm going to write down everything I eat. This is not so much because there will be yummy treats but because of the stress of worrying about that in addition to everything else.

On the other hand, I have not (yet) binged because of this situation (not that I didn't want to), and it's occurred to me that while all these other issues are out of my control, my eating is IN my control, and perhaps that's been helpful. So, maybe I will write things down after all...

What is your plan? And why?
  • Well I only have to spend one day with my family but that's two high fat high calorie meals to get through. Plus everyone seems to be sending us junk to eat even though I've specifically asked them not to.

My plan is to enjoy the treats but only 1 a day. To survive christmas I figure I'll use that as an off program day. I still plan to try and be careful about what I eat but I know if I try to stay on program that day that I'll end up failing miserably and then feeling really guilty.
  • I will definitely still be watching what I eat, but I will allow myself more flexibility and a few more calories than normal. I simply plan on NOT gaining while in CT (we fly up the 22nd and fly home the evening of the 27th). One thing I am going to do to try to keep myself on track is to watch the drinks. I don't mean alcohol (I don't drink alcohol anymore), but rather drinks with meals and such. I have the tendancy to think it's okay to have regular soda or juice or whatever since I'm going so off-plan anyway, but that is horrible thinking! I need to stick to water as often as humanly possible (and some diet soda here and there)--after all, if I'm already going over on calories, why add insult to injury, especially for something as unsatisfying as a soda or glass of juice (when for the calories in a can of soda I could have another square inch-and-a-half of fudge )?
  • My plan is to just eat reasonably. I won't count calories (although I can't help but keep a running total in my head these days) but I will be just as stringent about my portions as usual. I'm not going to skip my favorites but I'll be measuring our 1/4-1/2 cup helpings. I'll only choose the foods that I LOVE - and the ones that aren't typically served throughout the year (I can have green bean casserole anytime. Why waste calories on it Christmas day?).

Above all else I will be constantly reminding myself that IT IS JUST FOOD. It won't be the last chance I ever have to eat pie. It won't be the last pan of dressing or sweet potato casserole that I ever come across. I'll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy a yeast roll in the future. There is absolutely no reason to try and eat it all (much less twice or three times!) in one day.

Also, I'm going to make sure that we have plenty of physical activities. We'll have enough family here to get out and play a good game of flag football or basketball. The kids will love taking a walk to enjoy the Christmas decorations. Anything will be better than standing next to the food and grazing all day long! In years past I stopped just short of pulling a chair up to the buffet. This year I'll fix my plate, walk away, and then avoid the dining room for the rest of the day!
  • I'm aiming to stay sensible. I'm certainly not planning a binge or free-for-all, although I will be eating/drinking things that wouldn't ordinarily get a look-in on my plate. I'm having Christmas dinner at a restaurant (an accurate kcal count will be impossible), and I'm going to enjoy it, but I won't be stuffing myself to the gunwales. Like jawsmom, I'm concentrating on keeping portion sizes under control. I will still be logging my eats and exercise as usual.