Old 12-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #16  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Howie!! You are two pounds away from a new decade!!!! And six pounds from your original goal!! AWESOME!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #17  

I always log everything I have, I will do that even on treat days, I'm trying to find ways to treat while staying under my calorie budget so I dont have to have a certain day alloted to being allowed to have junk Like 2 days ago I had one serving of Cheetos *blush* BUT, I at the end of the day I was still 200 cals under my budget, so it shouldn't matter that I had a serving of "junk" as a treat, right?
Vilandra485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #18  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Yes Jen I'm getting close. It's exciting to think of finally being at goal and being able to start a maintenance plan.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #19  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Funniegrrl, once again, you've nailed it. I have nothing to add, except my own experience with successfully negotiating a regular "loosening" of my guidelines.

I didn't usually plan a regular treat; instead, I waited until I started to hanker for something in particular, and then I made sure to reduce my calories and/or increase my exercise as part of an advance-planned treat meal. I planned and tracked my calories and other nutritional goals with an overall weekly goal in mind, so as long as my planned meal didn't compromise my weekly goal I enjoyed it freely and without guilt. The vast majority of my food was totally healthy, and that's how I grew to like it. If I wanted something just totally outrageous, like french fries or fettucine alfredo, I'd wait until I was sure it wasn't a passing fancy (brought on by some suggestive commercial or something,) and then if, after a few days, I was still jonesing for something in particular, I'd plan for it a couple of days out. And then I'd just have a little bit -- it was bigtime portion control. I didn't want to slip into a mentality of "unhealthy food = legitimate reward," you know? Nor did I want to make it a habit, since I was looking for a permanent change in my tastes and cravings. It really did work, too.....as I progressed in my plan, my cravings reduced in number and severity, and really changed in nature -- rarely did I feel like I just had to have some fettucine alfredo or french fries; I'd find myself really ravenous for a big huge salad instead. Or if I wanted something from that never-ending free donut/sandwich/bagel/cake/pastry/chips buffet that exists in my office lunchroom, it grew easier and easier to pass it by and snack instead on 2 oz. of chicken breast and 1/4 cup brown rice.....or a little cottage cheese and an apple.....or some veggie slices and a protein drink. One thing about my plan that I think is very important is that I make sure to spread my calories out over at least 4 meals a day -- usually 5 -- so I didn't let myself ever get very hungry.

So I'm blathering on -- sorry! -- but I hope there was something in my experience that was helpful. My approach to "splurges" worked for me, and I'm going to use the same approach again this time around to get off the steroid/chemo inactivity weight.

Just remember, it really is true: nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels! Vilandra, you've only been on plan since 11/22, right? Give yourself time to adjust to your new healthy eating habits -- it takes 21 days to create a habit, so you're at the beginning of your journey! I don't mean to tell you what or what not to do, I just want to suggest that you be careful about rewarding a feeling of "deprivation" with unhealthy, off plan foods. Unhealthy food isn't a right, nor is it a privilege. It's just a really bad habit.....one that got us all into the situations from which we're trying so hard to remove ourselves. It IS reversable, though! Best to you, girl -- and good job coming here with the question!

lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove
Unhealthy food isn't a right, nor is it a privilege.
Amen, Sister

That's one of the best aphorisms on the topic I've ever seen.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #21  

Quote:
Unhealthy food isn't a right, nor is it a privilege.
I agree with Funniegrrl, awesome statement! Where is it written that we should get to indulge ourselves like insolent little children just because it's not fair that we can't eat like the rest of the skinny chicks who were blessed with amazing genes and supercharged metabolisms? Sure, we can spend our time being resentful of the situation and trying to stick it to 'em by eating whatever the **** we want, while remaining miserable and unhealthy for the rest of our lives. Or we say enough's enough, get over ourselves already, and do something about it!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #22  
Born Loser

Well said beverly.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #23  
I climb mountains!

Well, thanks, funniegrrl and Beverly! If you two agree with me, then I KNOW I'm on the right track!

Beverly, I really like your "get over ourselves" reference, too! It's really true, what you say about it being a childish behavior. There really is something petulant about it, isn't there? It's a "waaaaah" thing!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #24  

I agree about the childishness thing, too. It's applicable not only regarding the overeating and the eating of unhealthy food, but also regarding healthy food. How many people here talk about being picky eaters, hating vegetables, hating fruit, etc. etc.? We all have tastes and preferences, but a lot of times it's not a statement of "here's where I am now" with the idea of improving, but "here's the line in the sand I have drawn and will not cross." To me, that's definitely petulant and immature. I think maturity is when you look at what you need and just deal with it. You HOPE you'll learn to like -- or at least not mind -- the things that are good for you, but if you don't even think about changing that line-in-the-sand mentality, it'll never happen.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #25  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

One of my biggest victories was when I realised that trying new fruit and veg wouldn't kill me. I might not like them, but at least I'd know not to eat them in future, and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm still trying to force myself to listen to that message and eat new stuff, although I'm getting better. In fact tonight I tried something I've never tried before, and while I didn't necessarily like it as much as I like other healthy stuff, I can eat it without throwing up or feeling ill so it's worth trying just in case it's the best thing ever!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #26  
Born Loser

That's a good point funniegrrl. I've not had to deal with that myself because I like most fruits and vegetables but for those who don't that would be tough. You should try them so you can get the nutrients you need. I never liked them as a kid but my taste have changed. I find that if you start eating healthy and drinking water instead of pop that you do get a taste for the good things. So by all means if you hate your veggies make an effort to try and get them in you might be surprised and find you start to like them.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #27  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I think a treat once in awhile is ok. Notice I said a treat, not a binge. But sometimes it's unavoidable, and it does happen that way.

Once you get to your goal, are you never going to have another treat again for the rest of your life? No that's crazy. So a little treat here & there is fine, I think, as long as you know yourself well enough to know your limits & triggers. I for instance, cannot have Skippy peanut butter, white bread, and marshmallow fluff in my house. I just can't. Maybe someday. Not today. And knowing that...is half the battle.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #28  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Aimee, NO! Of course not! I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you in great part, but I do want to make a couple of points that I think are important:
  • The timing of said "treats" is relevant. I know that at 97 pounds from goal, having off-plan food on a regular basis -- even weekly -- is just not the most productive course of action for me. Once in a great while, and in small quantities, fine, as you say -- but I'm just personally of the opinion that it's not really the best idea to "reward" my good behavior with off-plan food, or to give myself freedom to eat unhealthy stuff just because I "deserve" it. If we've still got a long road before us, what the heck do we need unhealthy food for? I'm not trying to come off as a hardass, because I TRULY understand "slipping up" -- I just don't see doing a lot of planning to do it when you have a lot of weight to lose as a very good idea. Not saying "never," just saying it's not a good regular practice.
  • I think part of this whole process is to change your relationship with food and it's relevancy in your life, so once the weight is lost, you don't go on to regain it because you never fixed the "broken" relationship. I think the goal is to make permanent behavioral changes and to effectively change how we reward and comfort ourselves. There are plenty of other ways in this world that are not edible!! Obviously, everyone has to find what works for them, so I'm truly not trying to get all preachy on your butt! -- but I do see around 3FC plenty of people stumbling with their food and then rewarding themselves for having been good after a week on plan, and then soon afterwards wondering why they're struggling to resist temptation again. Ya' know what I'm saying?

That said, I love that there are so many roads to a shared destination. What works for one won't for another, so I'm never going to speak in absolutes. I just caution against off plan rewards and not developing/evolving/improving your dietary/nutritional practices to a healthier level. It's not just about the weight, as you know all too well. I think some folks could really surprise themselves with the healthy changes they are capable of if they give themselves half a chance and hold themselves to a higher standard.

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 12-07-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #29  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofsarahtolove
Aimee, NO! Of course not! I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you in great part, but I do want to make a couple of points that I think are important:
Oh No, Sarah!!!! Maybe I should read the entire thread first before commenting??? I only have so much time at work, so sometimes I just skim. My post was in no way an attack on your post--it COULDN'T be, since I did not fully read your post!

I completely agree w/what you're saying. A "reward" for losing x amount of pounds should ultimately be something non-caloric, like a CD, manicure (guys get them too now!), concert tickets, etc. To reward with food reminds me of when I hit 280, a 50 pound loss, and my mother said, "Oh that's fantastic! 50 pounds! I just made some brownies, would you like the corner piece?"

I think a great example of this right here in our own midst is Howie & the cheeseburgers. He used to plan them out, schedule them in, and has found he is better off, calorically, physically, mentally, w/o them. Something for us all to think about.

I agree, everyone's path is different. If you can resist peanut butter, then more power to ya!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #30  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I think the only healthy way to "reward" yourself with food is to donate your lost poundage in food to the local food bank.

I'm looking at doing that in a week or so when I hit 50 pounds gone.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote