3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   South Beach Phase I on Monday & a little more about me (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/67596-south-beach-phase-i-monday-little-more-about-me.html)

ScarlettDrawl 10-28-2005 05:49 PM

South Beach Phase I on Monday & a little more about me

I'm going to be starting the South Beach Diet Phase I on Monday. :sssh: I know that a lot of people don't necessarily agree with that diet (or any "diet" of similar nature). However, I think the same things do not work for everybody (or every body for that matter). My doctor has recommended this way of eating to me, for me. I have high cholesterol and am experiencing very stubborn weight loss. He believes that this may just be what I need to jump start my loss as well as a good plan for me to follow long term. I know that there is a South Beach forum here but I wanted to post what I will be doing here as well because it was in this forum that I began posting. It's 3FC "home". Hopefully, this plan will work for me. After I lose 5 more pounds, I plan to break my weight loss up into 10-10lb goals. I have heard (from some of you) that makes it less daunting. I still want to lose 25lbs by my college graduation this December, but if I even come close, I will be thrilled. Any loss is a good loss.

I am determined to get these pounds off. I am supposed to get married next fall and I would love to be at goal (175lbs) by then. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride; I am ready to shine. I'm tired of being the girl in the background. Also, I want to begin having children :bb: in the next few years. I want to enter pregnancy healthy so that I can enjoy it to the fullest. I appreciate the support I have found on this site. It helps to see people going through the same thing that I am. It is motivating to see those who have reached their goals. Ok, that's enough yappy. Just thought I'd let ya'll know.

Charbar 10-28-2005 08:19 PM

Hey Shannon!!

My advice - do whatever works for you!! The great part about this forum is that you can be on any diet (or in my case - sometimes no diet.. hehe :nono: ) and people here still just love, support and encourage you. All I can say is don't do the chocolate diet - I know for fact it doesn't work :rofl:

Mini goals are a great idea. Right now mine are just to stay off regular soda for the week and journal. (I'm coming back after finishing nursing my son)

Good Luck to you on Monday!! Let us know how it goes! How long is phase 1? one week? what is phase one all about?

WinterWonder 10-29-2005 12:24 PM

Hey Shannon,

I didn't realize that there was any controversy surrounding the South Beach Diet. Do people have problems with the first two weeks? I, personally, always feel excellent at the end of Phase 1. As for the rest of the diet, it's not really one of the dreaded "low carb" diet. (Or perhaps I modify it too much?) It's more of a low-fat, low-glycemic index, smart choices diet. I think it's designed as an easy way to tell people which foods are healthiest. The only thing I really have a problem with is the artificial sweeteners, but that seems to go with all diets . . .

Good luck, by the way. This is probably the right diet for you. If it's not, you'll find the right one.

ScarlettDrawl 10-30-2005 12:16 AM

Thanks ya'll. Winter, I just know that some people have a problem with that diet. Maybe it's just some people I know... I've encountered very mixed reactions. Oh well, this is for me.

TakinBabySteps 10-30-2005 12:55 AM

I think the South Beach Diet is a fine diet. Even if I didn't, we're here to support each other, not throw daggers. So no flames this way. Good luck & keep us posted!

mezmerize 10-30-2005 10:48 AM

I did South Beach phase 1 for 2 weeks. I loved the fact that I honestly wasn't the least bit hungry! My main problem with it was I got dizzy toward the ends and I mean pass out dizzy! I did get headaches but that was nothing compared to feeling you could black out at any moment. I lost 9 lbs total and would have stayed on if my DH hadn't got upset abou the dizziness. I've been tweaking my WW with South Beach and finding I Like it very much! One thing I found easy is I'm not a bread eather so wrapping my lunchmeat in lettus made all the more better. I still do that. One of my down falls is I LOVE PASTA!!! I have to watch myself with it even the 100% whole wheat I gain just looking at it. ;)

barbygirl43 10-31-2005 11:56 AM

Good luck with it. I hear South Beach is probably one of the better plans out there if you are choosing to do low carb. I love my carbs too much to restrict them like that. I opt for moderation instead. :D

ScarlettDrawl 10-31-2005 02:03 PM

It's not so much a low carb, as a better,different carb than we usually eat a lot of. Trust me I love them too, but that's what got me here in the first place! Can't wait until I get my whole grain bread back (in moderation of course). Day 1 is going very well.

Goddess Jessica 10-31-2005 06:01 PM

Hey Shannon!

We're about the same height and weight (I'm 5' 8-1/2") and I'm starting SB Phase I tomorrow (november 1!). Yay! We can be SoBe buddies! I've done Phase I before and I'll need all the help I can get. ;)

PM me if you get frustrated!

Charbar 10-31-2005 07:36 PM

Just wondering.. how many carbs are you allowed? I can understand limiting chips/rice/pasta... but fruit! that's so not fair :)

Are you allowed to eat fruit in phase 1?

ScarlettDrawl 10-31-2005 10:20 PM

Jessica: I'd love to. I've never done it before so maybe you could help me out! I'll PM you.

Dana: Fruit is excluded for phase 1 (two weeks), but is added back after that. You eat carbs, just not from fruit or bread etc. You get some carbs from beans, cheeses, milk (though dairy has limits), veggies, etc. It's based in the glycemic index.

missaprylj 10-31-2005 11:38 PM

Jessica and Scarlett:

I'm starting SBD on 11/1 as well! Perhaps we could all team up, that would be so great. Let me know. :)

scale_challenged 11-01-2005 07:32 AM

Shannon
Although I am not doing the South Beach diet, I do restrict my carb intake. I have found over the last year, that by restricting (not eliminating) has reduced my belly by about 12 inches so far. I have had moderate inches taken off the rest of my body as well, but if you're like me and carry alot of belly fat, low carb really helped reduce that. That being said, nothing works for everyone so you may have to tweak things like I have along the way. Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Connie

newfiedarling 11-01-2005 08:20 AM

Hi Shannon - I'm not that familiar with the SB diet, but as you said different plans work for different people. I wish you the best of success with it. Keep us posted as to how you're finding it! Don't worry, you'll shine as the beautiful bride!!!

~Dee

Goddess Jessica 11-01-2005 11:31 AM

Apryl! Yay! Yes, we'd make a great team. Post and let me know how your first day went.