Old 10-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default How do I start again?

Oh.. it's been soooo long! After Elijah was born I dropped weight like it was cool (oh.. yeah.. it is cool.. anyhow) now I gained a bunch back since I finished nursing. (whole other topic!)
This week - I stopped drinking regular soda! (yeah for me ) I also bought "light" butter.. 50% less calories and fat.
I MUST take baby steps!! So.. what's next? I don't want to lose it all... but I must START losing.

Thanks for the support.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

you might want to consider incorporating exercise if you haven't already. Anything from a walk to marching in place, whatever you like.

If you'd rather stick to the diet right now, you might want to consider finding ways to add fruits and veggies.

water drinking is always good too.

Hope that helps.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #3  
Doing it all over again..

S/C/G: 283/283/180

Height: 5'4

what works for me is exactly what you're doing. Making small changes here and there like cutting out soda, switching to lower-fat foods, making healthier choices, etc. I find the more I tell myself I CAN'T have something, the more I want it. I didn't 'diet' at all this weekend and the halloween candy was far far from my mind, now today since I'm making a conscious effort to eat better, that candy is calling my name!! So my goal is to quit making a CONSCIOUS effort and start making my efforts SUBconscious

i think you're off to a great start! good luck!
mandy71480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:18 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hi Dana! Welcome back!

I think the best steps for you might depend on where you're running into trouble. Maybe you could address your biggest trouble spot first. Are you munching late at night? Are you overeating at dinner? Are you snacking on fatty sweets salty/high fat snacks? I'd suggest looking at your problem behaviors and then addressing them one by one.

Great start!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Good advice all. Welcome back Dana. You can do this.
Another couple of questions to ask yourself is what are you willing to change at this time? Are you willing to add in exercise, take out certain foods? If you're not then you need to work on other areas that you are until you are willing to make those changes.

You've been down this road before so you have all the knowledge you need to get there. There are days when I'm willing to eat 100% OP and there are days when I'm not. I accept that the more days I'm not willing then the longer it will take me to become more healthy and lose weight.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

Dawnyal, you rock, man!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #7  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
There are days when I'm willing to eat 100% OP and there are days when I'm not. I accept that the more days I'm not willing then the longer it will take me to become more healthy and lose weight.
That is so true, Dawnyal!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Hi gals..

Sarah.. my problem area? - you name it! I'm not sure.. maybe boredom. I know I need more structure in my life. I know that chocolate is a weekness.

Marge.. I just came back from a walk with Eli - felt great! - I'm going to try to keep this up until it snows (could be anyday now here!!)
I think the water is a good idea. I think I'll start with crystal light first.

Mandy.. small changes.. yep. One of my favourite lines comes from the movie "what about bob" - big believer in "baby steps" - don't you just love that movie!?

Dawnyal.. what am I willing to change? Honestly.. I really don't wan to change anything! I just want to be smaller. But I'm beginning to realize that's not going to happen.. no fun, eh? I think I'm commented to stop drinking the reg soda (this is a big deal for me.. I don't drink coffee) You are so right.. I've been down this road.. I have the knowlege.. just do it, right?

Thanks Ladies!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #9  

Quote:
I've been down this road.. I have the knowlege.. just do it, right?
That's it sweetie, welcome back! BTW, that new avatar pic is just too cute for words!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Coming back is a great start, Dana. I love the new avatar, too. Taking baby photos is so much fun.

I think you've got the right idea about taking small steps like changing from regular soda to something lighter. And walking is always great. I've heard there are videos of exercises you can do with your baby (using him like a weight) that are fun for him and good for you. You could do those inside when it's cold outside.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar
One of my favourite lines comes from the movie "what about bob" - big believer in "baby steps" - don't you just love that movie!?
Oh man, I love that movie!! In fact, when Lorraine and I want to call someone - or one another - annoying, we call them "Bobs."

Bill Murray rocks!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #12  
One pound at a time...

Dana, there have been some great suggestions here. May I add to maybe start to keep a food journal to figure out how much you are really eating every day. I really shocked myself when I started to track what I ate every day, I was totally underestimating how many calories I would eat in one day.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Just wanted to say welocme back my dear friend. You have gotten tons of great advice here. I know you can do this!!

BTW - avatar - too cute!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Dana: Been there, doing that. My baby is 15 months. I lost during the preg and nursing (It is cool...eat anything, lose it all!) but alas it all comes to a screeching halt, when the nursing stops. I gained 20 pounds back right away and then started making a concerted effort to regain the ground I lost. However, I found that I really didn't have much "get up and go" to do it until my baby was sleeping more and I had some energy. I started with being aware what I was eating (journal!), I upped my water and started doing WW (on my own with a co-worker). 3 months into those changes, I added exercise. I found that with a new baby, working, and life in general, I was unable to make all the changes at once. I started with one thing, added to it as I could (babysteps). My biggest motivator is that I am doing this for me, to be around to raise my little one (I'm 43, surprise baby). You can do this, you will, just allow yourself the time you need.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #15  
I climb mountains!

Wow, I hope Gretchen reads this.....