3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Measuring v. Scales (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/66642-measuring-v-scales.html)

WinterWonder 10-12-2005 12:43 AM

Measuring v. Scales

I know that a lot of people use both measuring tape and scales to keep track of weight loss when strength training. I understand that measuring better reflects fat loss when muscle mass is being added. So, I've been trying to do both.

I am feeling confused and discouraged.

While I've lost 10 lbs since the last time I measured, I've gained nearly 9.5 inches! I'm sure that I measured the same as last time. (I have some very convenient freckles.) Clothing could not have added those inches. I also didn't have the tape any looser than last time.

What could be going on? Losing weight should make my clothes looser, not tighter! Am I doing something wrong? :?:

famograham 10-12-2005 01:40 AM

Winter,
Please don't worry, sweetie! :grouphug:

You're so early in the game...AND you've lost ten pounds :)
There are lots of reasons that the tape measure may have said what you didn't want it to...
What points on your body did you measure? How near are you to your TOM?

Anyway...DO NOT let it get you down, you know you're going in the right direction, and that's all that is important right now.

You're doing GREAT :cheer:
xoxo
Linda

WinterWonder 10-12-2005 02:10 AM

*breathes a bit easier*

Quote:

Originally Posted by famograham
What points on your body did you measure? How near are you to your TOM?

I measure:
Waist
Hips
Bust
Underbust
Upper Arms
Thighs

My TOM is actually about 4 days late. It's bound to show up soon. I'm particularly concerned because it seems like most of the weight I've added is in my upper arms and thighs. I wasn't really that surprised by the inches in the middle. I guess if all the added inches are TOM related, when I measure in two weeks, I'll REALLY see results. (I'm trying to remain positive.)

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still trying to figure out how this is all supposed to work. I've never seriously dieted before.

amylizmc 10-12-2005 07:38 AM

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I gained inches this week too. I was really careful to measure in the same place, and I was starting to worry. I did manage to lose a pound, but I sure didn't like seeing that I had gained inches.

Jen415 10-12-2005 08:02 AM

How often are you measuring? Your body's measurements can fluctuate just like on the scale if you measure too often.

Try measuring only once a month at the same time (preferably not at TOM).

barbygirl43 10-12-2005 09:58 AM

I ditto Jeanette. I actually measured my belly the last couple of TOMs and I bloated so bad, I had gained about 5-7 inches in my tummy measurement alone. I had to wait 5 weeks the next time to measure because I didn't want all my measurements to be during TOM.

HTH