3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   What do you count as a loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/64854-what-do-you-count-loss.html)

Jen415 09-08-2005 04:17 PM

What do you count as a loss?

I posted this on another part of the board, but want to hear what y'all have to say....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64853

famograham 09-08-2005 04:29 PM

I'd say it's up to you!

Personally I use the weight I started at this time around...BUT...I think it was also my highest weight ever. So I may not be the most qualified one to answer :lol:

;) Linda

lucky 09-08-2005 04:35 PM

I consider my loses from my highest weight. Even if there were stops and starts in between that was the weight that broke me so to speak. 214 pounds was the weight that made me think, "Okay, this is it I HAVE to do SOMETHING." So, it was a journey with lots of winding roads and plenty of forks but it has been only ONE journey. Thankfully, I have finally learned to navigate myself through most roadblocks and I know that this will be my LAST weight loss effort. I fully expect to battle the same 5 pounds once I reach my goal but I am very confident that I will never let my weight get so out of hand again.

So, yeah, I consider my highest weight my starting point because without learning all that I did between that time and now I know I wouldn't have any long term success.

YP1 09-08-2005 04:36 PM

I still count from my highest. I started at 260, got down to maybe 246, then back up to 256, back down to 251 and then this big push. But there's so little in it (also timewise, the back up stage was maybe three months out of my first 9 in total) that it all seems like one thing. also there's very little difference between the two numbers.

Also, when I say my highest, I may have been over 260 at some point, that's my highest recorded weight ;)

I think it would depend more on how long I fell off the wagon for than how much weight it involved. Not that I'm planning to do that, obviously ;)

barbygirl43 09-08-2005 05:15 PM

I originally had put when I started losing after having William but changed it to my highest weight because I had to modify what I ate while being PG with him and was actually 13 pounds lighter when I had him than when I got PG with him so that puts me at a 50 pound loss over 2+ years.

DeterminedInGA 09-08-2005 07:57 PM

Count it from your highest! I would think of it like a long cross-country trip. Once you returned home and people asked where you went they're not just interested in where you went that day - and neither are you. Each day of that trip counted - not just the last leg of the trip. :D

famograham 09-08-2005 08:01 PM

YUP, totally makes sense to me!

Linda

Jen415 09-09-2005 08:27 AM

These are all GREAT responses!! So I can proudly say I've lost 26 pounds so far!!

ChocLabLover 09-09-2005 08:27 AM

I tend to track it from the point of when I made the actual decision that this is the day I am going to change my lifestyle. However it is a personal choice. ;)

SnShn13 09-09-2005 08:28 AM

I use the weight that I weighed on my official start date (the first day I ever put any kind of effort into losing weight) because I don't feel like it's fair to count from my highest because I lost weight without any effort... So maybe I should count from mu highest though because I did have to lose that weight... heh I think count from wherever you feel you should count from!

synger 09-09-2005 10:20 AM

I count from my highest, because that is when I made my first "serious" decision to lose weight and eat healthier. Yes, there was a two year time between then and now when I wasn't doing anything special, and gained a lot of what I'd lost back. But seeing that number on my ticker just reaffirms for me how much I NEVER want to get back there again.

However, I do like having the secondary ticker, for a shorter-term goal, so that I don't get too overwhelmed by how much I still have to go.

RealCdn 09-09-2005 11:51 AM

I always count it from the top weight. I figure as long as it doesn't keep going up (the top one) you're winning. Of course the real question is how many of us really know what our top weight was?

I know from myself it was ... maybe... 407 (412, but adjusted for steel-toe shoes and clothes), however, I also know that I had already adjusted my eating habits slightly before I stepped on the scale. And that was a floor scale at work since I'd been avoiding the weight issue ever since my home scale, that maxes out at 330, didn't give me a weight. When I actually started tracking the information I think that my starting point (with an actual date attached) was 388.

My lowest (so far) was 255 after a brief hospital stay. Now I'm back to where I was before that - roughly 275. I count from the starting weight, although I tend to use the round number of 400 now to track progress. As positive as I am about what I've lost it can sometimes daunting on how far I have to go.

boiaby 09-09-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeterminedInGA
Count it from your highest! I would think of it like a long cross-country trip. Once you returned home and people asked where you went they're not just interested in where you went that day - and neither are you. Each day of that trip counted - not just the last leg of the trip. :D

I like that analogy!! I count mine from my top approximate weight too, and think it's perfectly acceptable to do so. So, have no shame and proudly proclaim your overall success, you deserve it!

Beverly