Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #16  

I believe that size-ism exists, no doubt about it. But I can't say for sure if I've ever been personally affected by it or not. I think it's mostly been a perception on my part due to my own insecurities because I'm not in an environment where such a thing would come into play very often. (i.e. retail, etc.) My most memorable run-ins about my size came from school bullies and the catty little "popular" girls, whom we all detest so much! But, to the best of my knowledge, I've never experienced real size-ism in a professional environment. And if I did, I'm sort of glad I didn't recognize it because I know it would have simply crushed me.

As for the psycho co-worker? Blow that freaky chick off! She's got bigger problems than you know!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #17  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64
I have to say that uncle who measures your waist needs a little help with his boundaries in my opinion.
Agreed. This is the same guy who tried to change my grandmother's will while she was in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimers. He wanted his family to get more money when she died. Boundaries are a mega-issue for him.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #18  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl
Size-ism really bothers me, but I fall into the stereotype though... because I work retail and we hire based on looks. Partly the person needs to fit in the clothes (not an issue in my store, we got size 3 to size 24), but my last job we ONLY hired people over a size 14 (it was a plus size store14-32). You want your employees to be walking advertisements. I dunno, I guess it'll always exist..

-Aimee
I dunno Aimee....I would feel weird buying my size 24 jeans from a size 4 woman...just me personally I guess.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #19  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
Agreed. This is the same guy who tried to change my grandmother's will while she was in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimers. He wanted his family to get more money when she died. Boundaries are a mega-issue for him.
yuck. seems like most families I've come across have at least one character like that!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote