Old 08-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #31  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Hey ladies...

Yesterday, I ate nothing for breakfast because I still felt bloated and gross from the night before. I wasn't hungry until lunchtime, but then I got mad at my class for acting like wild monkeys in the lunchroom and I could barely finish my 250 cal. South Beach lunch. I had a meeting until 5:00, and I stopped at McDonald's for one of the new grilled chicken sandwiches (I think it's on wheat bread! I wonder if it's the good stuff or the crappy enriched stuff...) and a fruit and walnut salad. I didn't eat anything else, save for the last bite of hubby's leftover bbq pork ribs ('cause he always leaves meat on the bone!)

So far today, I had a fruit and walnut salad for breakfast, a pack of peanut butter cheese crackers at 10:00 (recess, and I was HUNGRY!), and a 250 cal. South Beach meal for lunch. I'm waiting on DH to come home to see what's for dinner.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #32  
Green Tea Goddess

Does anyone know how many calories I NEED to have a day? I don't want my body to go into starvation mode but lately I have been almost force feeding myself a post dinner meal just to push my calories over 1,000. My body is starting to get used to the lifestyle change and I don't find myself hungry much anymore and when I do, I eat something healthy that just happens to be less than 300 calories. I'm so frustrated with this whole diet thing! I've been making 1,200 to 1,500 calories which I think is good, but it's through stuffing myself with some empty calories that I'm just not hungry for.
Venus In Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:22 AM   #33  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus In Mourning
Does anyone know how many calories I NEED to have a day?
This will help.
Daily Calorie Needs Calculator
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 AM   #34  
Black Belt In Training

Smile

8/24/2005
B: Kashi GoLean, Yankee style, with soymilk
L: turkey and cheese on multi-grain bread with vidalia onion dressing; 1 snack cup diced peaches in light syrup; salad with cheese and vidalia onion dressing; 1 serving sour cream and dill snack crackers
D: 1 Lean Pockets Meatballs and Low-Fat Mozzarella Sub; salad with cheese and vidalia onion dressing
S: 4 choc. graham cracker sticks; 3.6 oz Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream*
Beverages: 96 oz water; 20 oz diet mt. dew
*****Total Calories=2068*****
Exercise: 3.1 mile run; 60 minutes Tae Kwon Do; Core exercises

*I was wanting some ice cream but hadn't found anything until I stumbled upon this 3.6 oz carton of Ben & Jerry's for $1. Was so excited to find a single serving size of ice cream and I just wanted to share (the good news that is, not the ice cream). LOL
Old 08-25-2005, 04:14 AM   #35  
Laura

So, yesterday was DD's birthday and it was such a FUN day! She had such a great party and got lots of terrific gifts - she is completely engrossed with all her new treasures! Unfortunately, her little brother would like to make them HIS treasures too.

Food wise - it was bad. I did fine during the day - I cooked ALL DAY - I was on my feet probably 10 hours, seriously (made dinner for 15). I ate sensibly at dinner - didn't overeat. After everyone left and the kids were in bed - I had one more hot dog and some more potatoes and then a little cake...and then another bite of cake...and then when I was putting the cake away (I cut it all up into little serving size pieces and froze it), I was eating more tidbits of it and then some frosting...and...I made myself sick. I was so sick to my stomach and then just so angry at myself. But, it was a GOOD thing - I REALIZED how OFTEN I've eaten until I've been sick in the past and I REALIZED that I NEVER EVER want to do that again! EVER! I don't enjoy it - it was horrible. I was laying in bed and my stomach hurt so badly and it STILL hurt this morning and then I had terrible heartburn (which I NEVER have a problem with, except when pregnant ). I promised myself to never do that again! So...even though it was bad - I really learned from it and this is the FIRST time EVER that I've overeaten like that and then the next day gotten right back to it - right back to eating healthy - I'll probably have days like that again, but now I feel like I consciously don't want to! Huge step for me!

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Kashi & 1% milk
Lunch: Leftover salad (lettuce, pecans, strawberries, feta, vinegar & oil), black bean dip (black beans, onion, tomato) w/15 potato chips, roll w/margerine
Afternoon Snack: 14 oz cola (I was trying to settle my stomach, it worked ), popcorn
Dinner: 1 hot dog w/bun & mayo/catsup, potato salad (I had fixed about a cup for myself but I decided I didn't want it and stopped eating after 1/2 cup! )
Snacks: grapes, small pc birthday cake
Drinks: (cola above), milk, water

cal: 1875
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #36  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Venus, calorie counters can be very useful for a start, but I find they don't really mean much at my weight. THey are not really designed for the morbidly obese. It's not a simple mathematical forumula, though calories in/calories out is a good start. Everyone is different. For instance, my body has gotten used to holding onto the weight even when I reduce calories below what the calculator says I need to maintain it. For instance, that calculator says I need over 2500 calories a day to maintain my current body weight. If I eat 2000 calories a day, mathematically I should lose about a pound a week. I don't. If I aim between 1500 and 1800, I do. There seems to be a point where my body realizes "uh oh, she's serious about reducing calories. I'll have to give up some fat stores".

That being said, you should find a calorie level that works for you long-term, and is flexible. They say you should not drop below 1200 calories, or your body will go into starvation mode. If that is the case for your body, you should look for warning signs -- fatigue, hair loss, lack of appetite, no energy. Some bodies may be able to live on 1000 calories. But it's probably not a healthy long-term plan. Most plans I've studied have some combination of exercise and diet changes. The combination of eating less and doing more is a potent one for weight loss and health benefits, and some calorie counters do take that into consideration.

Hope that helps more than it confuses. I haven't had my coffee yet. *grins*

WEDNESDAY

Breakfast:
Protein bar (forgot my fruit/cottage cheese)

Lunch:
baked fish
mac and cheese
spinach
carrots

Afternoon snack to keep the Beast at bay:
cottage cheese
orange

Dinner:
cheese bread, toasted, with butter
cheese curds (kinda like mozzarella cheese chunks)
zucchini and tomatoes

Snacks throughout the day:

Drinks:
water
coffe w/flavored creamer

Calories:
about 1400

Exercise:
walking, stairs
30 minutes laps in pool
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #37  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Venus--do you eat breakfast? It sounds weird, but I find that when I don't eat breakfast, I am less hungry throughout the day (like my body still thinks I'm fasting or something--who knows). When I DO eat breakfast, I always get my calories (or at least most of them) in for the day. Just a suggestion

Today (TOPS day!):
  • ham with pineapple chunks
  • 2 turkey sausage links w/honey mustard (the big fat, sausages that are more like hotdog size, not the little weenie breakfast links )
  • Subway sweet onion chicken teriyaki on honey oat w/chips
still under 2000 for the day. This weekend is an off-plan weekend, so I won't come to post my menu
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Here is what I ended up eating for yesterday. Jeff didn't get home til later so we ate at a local fast food joint. The only non-fried meal was a salad and I already had one for lunch and just couldn't force myself to eat it.

Oatmeal, cooked, regular, fat not added in cooking
Progresso Hearty Chicken & Rotini
Catalina dressing, FF low cal
Tomatoes, raw
Cucumber, raw
Lettuce, raw
ensure healthy mom drink
Cheeseburger, 1/4 lb meat, plain, on bun
White potato, french fries, from fresh, deep fried
Ice milk cone, NFS
Calories: 1657
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Venus--I'm so with you on the frustrating and confusing part but it will get easier. It's all a matter of trial and error really to find out what fits you best. I don't know how long you've been doing this but if you can listen to your body, it knows best. Gretchen (tolose85) did go on an 800 calorie diet when first losing her weight but I believe it was doctor monitored. She then started upping her calories as she was exercising more. If you've only been at it for a couple of weeks or so I would continue to do what you are doing. Your body will let you know if it needs more fuel.

You will find many of us on here who will do our "plan" only to have to modify it here and there as we go. HTH
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #40  
Green Tea Goddess

Great help everyone. I DO eat breakfast. It's a bowl of peaches and cream or strawberries and cream oatmeal. Both are under 125 calories and very filling considering I have never been a breakfast person. I guess I am doing something right because my hair is not falling out and actually I am getting much more energy. Now I know the things to look out for and I'm glad you told me that calorie intake is only a basic guideline. This is my first time on a diet and I'm glad I have all you here to help me. I think I'll try going with the flow of my body and eating when it tells me to eat and stop when it tells me to stop until it gives me signs otherwise. *whew*
Old 08-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #41  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hello All!!

Venus - I pretty much agree with everyone else said. If you having problems getting calories in and your adding, just make sure you add in healthy things like skin milk and stuff. 1 cup is 90 calories. The general rule of thumb is not to go under 1200. Maybe it might be OK to maintain, but not right now, you body needs those calories to function, weather you feel like eating them or not.

Dawnyal - I know what you mean - I am definately a 1 salad per day person myself.

Laura - Sounds like you learned a great lesson. Sometimes we are better off just not getting started.

Taekwondomom - 3.6 oz - REALLY - What were the calories? (Huge Chubby Hubby fan here!) Sometime you just need the real stuff!!! I am currently a HUGE fan of the Edy's slow churned ice cream. 120 calories for 1/2 cup and it tastes like the real stuff!!

Jennelle - which south beach lunches are you having? I tried the turkey bacon wrap and for 250 calories it was pretty good. I did find myself hungry pretty quick after that.

Jillybean - congrats on the new apartment.

Yesterday was a good eats day and exercise was moderate. We walked down to the park by us. After work I think Jacob and I will venture into the woods!!!

8/24
210 - Mint Zone Perfect Bar
80 - Pluot
325 - Turkey & cheese sandwich
120 - Pretzels
140 - Skippy snack bar
360 - Chicken Cordon Blue
200 - 1 cup rice
120 - 1/2 cup low fat ice cream
1555 - TOTAL
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #42  
Black Belt In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsMommy
Taekwondomom - 3.6 oz - REALLY - What were the calories? (Huge Chubby Hubby fan here!) Sometime you just need the real stuff!!! I am currently a HUGE fan of the Edy's slow churned ice cream. 120 calories for 1/2 cup and it tastes like the real stuff!!
Calories for the 3.6 oz cup are 230 w/ 11 grams of fat. The only two flavors they had available in the little cups where Cherry Garcia and Clocolate Fudge Brownie. I'm sure they have their other flavors too but my store only carries those two I guess.
I was totally looking at the Edy's Slow Churned ice cream, but couldn't bring myself to bring that big container home and have the temptation sitting in my freezer. This way I had my ice cream snack and then it was GONE and I couldn't go back for more.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #43  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Sandi...I eat the ones that you have to microwave to eat. I really like the pork and pecan meal and the chicken meal with the green beans almondine. I am blessed to have access to a military commissary, where the South Beach meals are only $2.15. At Kroger, they're over $4.00 each.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #44  
Green Tea Goddess

I was SO bad today. Instead of my breakfast oatmeal, I had a doughnut and milk. I was shocked how that affected my energy for the day. I guess my body had become dependant on it, because I was dead exhausted during my walk. I felt it the whole day. Stupid doughnut... I'm never doing that again!

On an unrelated note... in my thread about my fiance, the last comment I left contains a link to my wedding dress if anyone is curious.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:55 AM   #45  
Crazy Canuck

Not posting my eats today, only because I'm totally exhausted and want to get to bed. I did well and stayed at my Weight Watchers points "target" of 22. I didn't make totally wonderful choices today (a few more carbs than usual and a few less veggies), but drank enough water to float a boat and exercised more than usual.

A few of you have written about the uncomfortable consequences of poor eating (Venus and her energy sapping donut, Alpha Laura's mindless cake nibbling and Jennelle's bloat inducing indulgences of a couple of days ago.) Sometimes I wish you could capture in a bottle that nasty, gross feeling from making poor choices. I wonder if it would prevent us from committing "the act" if we could inhale a big whiff of how we'll feel afterwards. I think I'd be a millionaire if I could come up with a formula for that!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote