Old 06-28-2005, 09:24 PM   #16  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Ali, you don't want to know how many cats I have! (I swear my home has no scent of cats though; we have these amazing litter boxes that are electric and flush the waste down the toilet. It's complicated! I'm paranoid about people thinking we have a stinky house when they hear about our cats.)

Anyway, with the exception of the shopping adventure, I thought I WAS easing myself back into it! The rest of my days involve a lot of sitting, to be honest. Kinda like the last 6 months.

Cara, welcome! Nice to have you join us! Great job on the 50 pounds! Nice job on the Jazzercise, too. If you haven't already, you should post a proper intro in a new thread here, so everyone can say hello and welcome you! Glad you're here.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 AM   #17  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Sarah, you take it easy! Like you've said, your body has had 6 months of poisons pumped into it and it needs some love and time to recooperate. Maybe you should exercise 2-3 times a week at first? I know your motivated to start losing again and that is great! It's just that when DH got done with his treatment he tried doing too much at first as well and ended up getting sick from every virus that looked in his direction. If you start out slow with execise and really focus on eating super-nutricious foods your body will have a chance to boost its immune system back up better. OK? Oh, and I was wondering how you like the "Yourself Fitness" software with Maya. Been considering getting this for myself as a reward for losing 30 lbs so your input would be helpful.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 AM   #18  

Hi everyone. Sarah, I always count grocery shopping as cardio!!!! I don't drive so I always feel as if its a bit of a marathon on the bus and tram with my granny trolley.

Well today, I got up at 6 to do upper body weights at the gym, and have a swim. But.........and how is this for a brilliant excuse, the gym was flooded!!!! All these boys bailing the water out with brooms and cups, bless 'em, so swimming only for me this morning!!!! I am planning to get to the gym at lunch time, i will let you know how I do when i get home.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #19  
I climb mountains!

Laura, you're a sweetheart to think of me, and to share your DH's experiences with recovery. How is he doing now? Please give him my best -- "Hello, brother!" The thing is, I feel that 20 minutes of cycling or walking on the treadmill each day IS treating my body lovingly! If I can do more, great, but I don't (and won't) push it. It's going to help me regain my energy, strength, and mobility -- and it makes me feel some semblence of normalcy for the first time since my diagnosis on December 17th. What's ironic is that it was exactly my immune system that got cancer! With Lymphoma, you can expect your immune system to be compromised for 3 years after the end of treatment -- I'll have to be particularly careful to avoid getting sick during the first year (so, till June of next year.) I honestly believe that by beginning to move my limbs and get some oxygen into both my lungs and muscles, I'm doing the best thing for my body. I'm starting out with biking because it's not weight-bearing -- walking on the treadmill is a little harder for me. I'm going to start doing weight training next week, in order to start rebuilding my wasted muscles. Because of my reduced strength, I will by necessity start out slow.

I will say that I'm really trying to pay attention to how I'm feeling and really listen to my body. I don't feel like I'm forcing it. (Ok, maybe the first day -- but isn't the first day back on exercise ALWAYS a matter of sheer will? Whether you've had chemo or not!! )

Sooooo, after that long-winded diatribe, I will say that I did another 20 minutes on the cycle this morning. Later today we're going to a Yankees/Orioles baseball game -- I'm actually really nervous about having to do a lot of steps. Thankfully I'll have Lorraine with me and she's not only really comforting and patient with me, she's also really crafty about figuring out shortcuts and finding elevators and escalators!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #20  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Just got back from the gym, same workout as Monday. It was so hot even with the a/c the humidity is still there. I was just dripping sweat, not a pretty picture! Oh well, I felt better afterwards.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I did 1 mile of watp this morning. No arm movements but I want to ease back into it.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I was just thinking about how this thread went kaput awhile back, I'm glad you started it again MISS ENCYCLOPEDIA. As long as we have your word that you're really, truly listening to your body and knowing your limits, I think you're doing such an awesome job. What does your doc say about exercise? How are you feeling lately?

Today I took my mom and her friend to the gym because they are new at going and still pretty intimidated- ah, I remember the feeling all too well but soon they will be like pros! I am proud of them! Anyway, I got in 20 minutes on the cross trainer, 10 minutes on the bike, 15 various weights and 28 elliptical. They left while I was on the weights but I'm making it my personal mission to be their drill sarge... Plus, it is fun working out with people!

Last edited by djs06; 06-29-2005 at 10:30 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #23  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06
What does your doc say about exercise? How are you feeling lately?
She said a long time ago to take it easy while in treatment, so I did. We haven't spoken yet about post-treatment life. That is, recovery, leading to what they call, "The New Normal" because you're not really back to normal. I meet with her 7/28. It's a really long time from now, but she's going on vacation right after my scans on Wednesday. I'm pretty freaked about those scans, to be honest, because they'll say whether or not I'm still in remission. As for how I'm feeling -- sometimes good, sometimes not so good. It is what it is, and what is will get better with time.

I rode another 20 minutes on the exercise bike today.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #24  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Hey folks, I'm going to be out of town for a few days, so I won't be around here. HOWEVER, I am still going to exercise a little each day.....and when I come back I'll give the full report.

I do know that tomorrow morning before we take off I'll do my customary 5 miles in 20 minutes on the exercise bike. While away, I'll have access to an elliptical.....but I'm thinking that thing would just kick my *** at this point!! Oh well, I'll try it out -- if I can hang for 5 minutes I'll just burst with pride! I do intend to do some easy walks around the neighborhood if I can manage it.

Have a VERY MOBILE couple of days, folks! Anyone remember that club song, "You got to move it, move it...." Sing it, feel it, live it.....

Take care, lovies.....
Old 07-01-2005, 12:06 AM   #25  
30lbs gone forever!!

Today I did 35 minutes of walking at 5mph and 15 minutes at 12mph on the eliptical. Today was my day off weights, but I went grocery shopping so maybe I can count lifting all of those heavy bags all by myself as weight training lol
krysidaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:55 AM   #26  
Black Belt In Training

I did my 8 minute moves. (Yesterday I borrowed the original 8 Minutes in the Morning book and plan to buy some weights so I can give those exercises a try. Also plan to buy an exercise ball, been wanting one for a while so I am rewarding myself as planned.)
I DID NOT do my exercise video today. I WILL DO my exercise video tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #27  
Black Belt In Training

Got up at 8 am, did my 8 minute moves and then went to Cardio Kick (1 hour class). So it is only 11:35 am and I have all of my exercise in for the day! GO ME!