Sobering thought: Supersize me, undertaker

• When I saw this headline while doing a search for the obituary of an acquaintance, I was sobered. What are we DOING to ourselves in this country? Alabama obesity creates niche for super-size casket makers

If this does not sober us, what will? Life is too short, sometimes far too short -- aside from what we're doing to ourselves, do we want our families to have to order super-size caskets for us? We've got to change...And we can.

Thank God for forums like this where we can face our fat head-on and support each other toward being healthy.

Since I'm not sure if the article will remain visible for more than a week, as some sites limit viewing, I've included the entire text in a blog entry here .
  • Yikes! I never thought about needing a massive coffin when I die. I don't want to put my hubby through that kind of embarrassment. Thanks for the interesting article.

I knew I was far too fat when I took a flight and the seat belt was nowhere long enough to fit around me. I was too ashamed to ask for an extender so I sat for the entire 9 hour flight with my baggy shirt arranged to look as though I were fastened in.

I echo your comment about this forum. I'm a newbie here and must say it's refreshing to find a place where I don't have to feel that overwhelming shame.
  • Ali,

I once had a 3 foot brusie over my hips where I was too embarrassed to ask for the extender and shoved myself into the seat and buckled - for a cross county flight. It was a ridiculous experience and I didn't want to fly for a long time after that.
  • Jessica,

Ouch! I'm sorry you had to go through that and totally understand your not wanting to fly again for a while. Who needs a repeat of that experience?

I'm not usually an overly-sensitive person but I am where my size is concerned. Events that slimmer people take for granted become excruciatingly embarrassing experiences when one is too big to participate. Among other things, I'm recalling my misery at the theme park, getting left behind on a caving expedition because I couldn't fit through an opening, and being told I was too fat to get into a lift (elevator).

Now, if I can just maintain this initial motivation for a year or so, I'll never have to go through any of that again.
  • I had to ask for an extender my last flight but not anymore. That is embarrassing and I don't ever plan on being there again. I also remember having to request they send extra people for a strecher crew when I went to the hospital. Not fun at all.
  • I had a weird dream a couple of years back and thought it would be horrifying to die fat and crammed into a coffin and promised myself I would not die a fat woman.