3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Why do I do it?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/56331-why-do-i-do.html)

NJ84 04-13-2005 09:43 AM

Why do I do it??

I swear I must be crazy or something in one night I buy workout dvds and pig out on junk food. I seriously think there's something wrong with me. Sometimes it even seems like I'm just programmed to open the fridge and pick out the worst stuff for me like I'm autopiloted to gain weight forever. UGH!!! Anyone else feel this way?

Amanda

treefrogtoes 04-13-2005 09:54 AM

I used to do that exact same thing!!! It's a viscious cycle. My only way to avoid it is to not allow that junk in my house. If I have to go all the way to the store and get it, it's too much trouble! Allow yourself healthy snacks instead, pretzels or frosted mini wheats for the crunchy, yogurt for creamy, rasins for sweet.. there's lots of good for you options. You can change your evil ways!!!

frenchiepolarbear 04-13-2005 10:36 AM

I fully, totally understand you on this. My worst time is late in the evening, when there's nothing to do...Danger zone...

I found that if i do small groceries, 3-4 times a week i am left with less food available in the house, therefore less tempeted....

However, this is just a patch on something more serious and you had the courage to ask the question as to Why we fell the need to overeat....Repressed emotions ? Self-destroying habits?.....

you opened a pandorra box here!!!

Gypsydancer 04-13-2005 10:50 AM

I'm also one who can't have the bad stuff in the house. ESPECIALLY when I get home from work. I can totally relate. I also try to eat my dinner right away when I get home--something quick and easy so I don't have to wait to eat, like heated up leftovers, or plain yogurt with garlic salt and toasted pine nuts, or scrambled eggs. Then I'm done for the night. Kitchen is closed for me.

dragonwoman64 04-13-2005 12:30 PM

sometimes with me that mindless eating is just habit. Or it might be because I'm tired, anxious, bored, sad, etc.

I think it can be helpful to pay attention to what exactly I'm feeling when I want to eat -- usually it's chocolate when I'm feeling stressed. Once I know it's stress, I can remind myself that I have a goal to lose weight and that I need to find another way to decompress. Either just to lay on the bed and rest, or stretch, or drink herbal tea. The more I do it, the easier it gets.

I agree with me it helps to just not have certain stuff at hand. I don't buy potato chips at all. I'll finish the entire bag if I have them.

howie6267 04-13-2005 12:47 PM

Yep been there done that. We no longer keep bad food in the house. All though the longer I do this the easier it gets. I used to be a real cheese junkie and now I can have it in the house and not have any problems with it. I would sit down and eat a whole brick of cheese no problem. Now I slice off an ounce serving and have no desire to eat more. So what I'm saying is when you get into the swing of things it does get easier. It won't always be as hard as it is right now.

NJ84 04-13-2005 01:55 PM

I wish I could only have healthy food in the house but I live at home with my parents and older sister and they hate the idea of salads and healthy food, so there's always temptation staring right at me. Also I dont think it helps that my kitchen is the first room you see when you walk into my house. It's liek when I get home from work BAM it's time to eat it's like the fridge is calling me to it.

funniegrrl 04-13-2005 02:08 PM

This is where you have to stop worrying about something "being wrong" with you and start getting creative. Put on your problem-solving hat. You've done a good job identifying the problem -- you're tempted by foods you shouldn't eat, you can't get rid of them because of the people you live with, and the problem is componded by the fact that the kitchen is the first room you see when you walk into the house. OK ... Why not walk into the house through a different door? Or, hang a bead curtain in the entranceway to the kitchen to block the sight of the fridge, etc. Sometimes you just have to change one tiny thing to make a difference.

howie6267 04-13-2005 02:48 PM

One thing you could do it may sound strange but small refrigerators are under 100.00. Have one of these in your room for all your healthy snacks. That way you don't have to go to kitchen and face all the temptations. Maybe if you talk to your family they can help you out by keeping the bad stuff in there rooms. Like the cookies and stuff they like. Just some thoughts. I know how hard it is when living at home. I had the same problem when I did.

Gypsydancer 04-14-2005 09:42 AM

Oh,wow, that is a challenge! I still want to eat the minute I walk into my mom's house! Is it a certain type of food that you're overeating (chips and Doritos or Little Debbies or ice cream)? If it's only one certain food that you're overeating, you might try setting a rule for yourself that you don't eat that food in the house. Like if it's ice cream, you don't eat ice cream in the house. If you want ice cream, you go out to Baskin and Robins or wherever and have some ice cream.
Now, if you're like me, if you can't have ice cream at home, you'll eat whatever junk food you can eat. Then that's a signal you're eating to relieve stress and/or get some energy after a stressful day. So you might try taking a shower or a nap when you get home. Or get in bed and veg out watching TV for a little while before you eat (just don't let yourself get too hungry). I'll often fall asleep for the night, and miss dinner altogether when I do that.

These are my suggestions--things that work for me (and thanks for giving me a reason to remind myself!), but ultimately you know yourself best! Good luck!

Jen 04-14-2005 09:50 AM

I do a lot of emotional eating as well. I used to think mindless eating wasn't emotional but now I realize that it is. You know quite well what you are doing and so do I. We choose to ignore what the symptoms are and call it mindless eating. For me a lot of it is related to stress at home, loneliness, boredom, I'm sure you have your own reasons. Just because you are at home and your family doesn't want to eat a lot of healthy snacks doesn't mean that you have to indulge in their unhealthy snacks. I'm certain you are quite capable of buying yourself some healthy stuff ie carrot sticks, rice cakes, apples, making yourself some air popped popcorn or low fat microwave popcorn. All this is possible, it is just a matter of whether you want to do it or not.

barbygirl43 04-14-2005 02:19 PM

I too have been mindlessly eating on junk lately. I will acknowledge to myself that I'm about to do it and then just go off and eat on junk. My next plan of action to keep me from doing it in the evenings is to get out my journal (the old fashioned kind) and just write. Write about what I'm wanting to eat, why I think I need it, and if I think that is worth it. As soon as this comes up again I'm going to give it a try and find out if it will help me.

dragonwoman64 04-14-2005 03:06 PM

One idea that came to me is to eat before you get home so you're not over hungry when you come into the house and are faced with the kitchen. It could be a small snack, a piece of fruit, a power bar, whatever. And to help even more you could have your dinner planned and maybe even waiting for you.

Another idea is to have a small decompression time before you walk in to the kitchen, relax, stretch, change your clothes. Whatever works for you.

Hope that helps.