Old 03-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Fat Actress

Has anyone seen this show about Kirstie Alley? I haven't seen it but have heard lots about it and seen some clips on tv. Last night Entertainment Tonight did a segment about how overweight women are upset about it. Apparently the night before they'd done the same thing except how bulimic women are upset about it. Well they trotted out 2 overweight women who were spokesperson for some organizations for overweight people, don't remember the exact names, more like organizations promoting the rights of fat people or whatever. Also there were spokesperson for NOW and an eating disorders organization. Well they are going on about how this show is humiliating for fat people and making fun of eating disorders. Maybe I am in the minority but I thought that this show was supposed to be a parody of her life. Also a lot of it is fictionalized too. So what does everyone else think of this show or if they haven't seen it of the concept?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #2  
Learning to love ME!

I watched it, and I thought it was a funny, irreverent satire, but if that kind of humor is not your thing, I can see how some people might be offended by it. It was so clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Some critics have compared it to "Curb Your Enthusiasm." You can watch it on yahoo.
http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fatactress.html
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #3  
Bread is my Enemy.

Honestly, I have not seen the show, just because the title in itself make me uncomfortable. It also *seems* as if she is exploiting the fact that she is overweight since she has made numerous complaints about her body and wanting to become thin again. I don't think this show (again I haven't seen it, just clips here and there) is necessary and if she wanted to lose weight she could just do it without making a parody of it. Losing weight is serious business, not just a way for a has-been to get a show. IMHO
BrOOklyN ChIcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #4  

I commented about this over in the general chatter forum as well. I honestly thought the show was just too ridiculous to be worth my time. I watched about 20 minutes before I turned it off in disgust. It was just too over the top for me. Definitely not something I'm likely to be tuning into again. But, to each his own, right? The point is, as with most shows of this genre, it is not meant to be taken seriously. So my feeling is, if people don't like it then they shouldn't watch it, simple as that.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Go, Kirstie, go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydancer
I watched it, and I thought it was a funny, irreverent satire, but if that kind of humor is not your thing, I can see how some people might be offended by it. It was so clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Some critics have compared it to "Curb Your Enthusiasm." You can watch it on yahoo.
http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fatactress.html
I completely agree. She's parodying Hollywood's outrageous obsessions with weight and youth -- IT'S A JOKE! But like any parody, it's responding to reality. There are a lot of ways to call something out for what it is, and one of the very effective ways to do that is through humor. Satire, like a lot of other forms of humor and criticism, can, in fact, be over the top. For a lot of us, that often adds to it's appeal. But, like Boibaby said: If you don't find it amusing, don't watch. I think the show is smart and funny and I love its message -- and I applaud this talented comic actress for putting herself out there in laying bare the sexism, ageism, and sizeism that pervade so much of the rest of what you see coming out of Hollywood. And if she's promoting her own career in the process, more power to her, I say!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

How many actresses out there have actually taken advantage of the fact that they've gained weight and used it to their advantage?? Most want to crawl in a hole any time they've gained 3 lbs. I think I heard something on the news that Britney Spears was thanking the tabloids for publishing pictures of her looking a little out of shape because now she is motivated to get barbie doll thin again. But definately if you don't like it don't watch it!!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #7  
gotta lose it!

I just watched the show - thanks for the link by the way. I thought it was funny. It is a joke. I think it's a message of don't take yourself sersiously & losing weight is a lot of hard work - even if you are an actress. I wish Kirstie the best with her show & her weight!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #8  
missaprylj

that is the cutest child.... oh my gosh I can't even handle it!

I really like Kirstie Alley and I wish her well, too. And, I'd really like to see the show sometime!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have hated Kirstie Alley ever since Cheers. ShowTime was free here this week, so I could've watched, but chose not to. Her voice grates on me, all she does is whine.

But

As a concept, I think it's a great idea for a show. It will be much harder for her to lose weight, I think, with the whole world watching.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #10  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace
It will be much harder for her to lose weight, I think, with the whole world watching.
I would think so, too.....but, hey, it worked for Sarah Ferguson! Maybe the Jenny Craig gig will do for Kirstie what WW did for Sarah.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #11  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I watched this and thought some of it was funny. I just can't imagine how she really feels about it. I guess the paycheck makes up for it. I just hope she can get the weight off and feel good about herself. As much as I dislike her I hate to see anyone struggle with weight issues.

It's really strange how it's ok to make fun of some people and not others. Fat people, gay people, white people it's ok to make fun of. Other groups it's not alright. Why do we have to make fun of people at all. I've been guilty myself. I have even used myself as a joke. I just don't know why we have to pick people apart this way. I am really going to try and get away from this type of joking. It serves no purpose. It just tears people down. It may be funny at the time but if the wrong person hears it then it's just going to hurt someone.

I mean if you listen to people like Jay Leno he has made jokes about all the people I mentioned above. Some of the Fat jokes hit home with me as I'm sure some of the other jokes hit home with others. Then there is the whole thing of African Americans being able to make fun of white people but could you imagine if white comedians did the same type of jokes. I don't think it would go over to well. So why do it at all.

Ok I'm off my soap box for now.

Last edited by howie6267; 03-13-2005 at 11:54 AM.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:06 PM   #12  

I watched it on yahoo tv. It was weird. I would laugh my butt off.....and then immediately tear up the next second. When she was joking, it was funny and when you could see some of the things that hurt her, you hurt right along with her. I want to support her and her decision in anyway that I can because its a very brave one to be able to laugh at yourself. But if this is honestly making her feel bad about herself, I think she should stop. The clapper lights though........man. I almost fell out of my chair! So Im torn.
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #13  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

They changed it so you can only see clips now -- Howie saw the whole show, but when I went, it wasn't up anymore. :S
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I watched Fat Actress. I didn't find any of it offensive because, parody or not, it's all true! Then last night, I watched Super Size Me, the documentary film about the guy who ate nothing but McDonald's food for a whole month. Of course, no one in their right mind would think this would be healthy, but I definitely connected with a lot of what he said. The one thing that bothers me is that "experts" who keep trying to figure out why America is so fat just keep trying to figure out what it is we're eating to make us so fat. They blame fast food, they blame processed foods, they blame junk food industries making toys of their brands of food for children (hooking them while they're young), and they blame bad school lunches (which I do agree with). I have a few additional thoughts on the matter...

I think part of why America is so fat includes a combination of working mothers/single parents and advancing technology. In Super Size Me, the guy mentioned that his mother cooked dinner every night, so most of his memories of her were in the kitchen. With most families having full-time working parents (whether both parents work or it is a single-parent family, considering the current divorce rate), most families do not have home-cooked meals. While mom's good ol' meat and potatos may not have been the lowest in fat or calories, she took the time to prepare whole foods that were less processed. Instead, parents living such rushed lives today throw instant meals together in 10 minutes (or stop for fast food or take-out), filled with empty calories and tons of sodium. I'm not suggesting that parents stop working or anything drastic like that. I just think this is a point that needs to be recognized in addition to the millions of bad-food choices out there.

As for technology...when I was young, we would come home and go outside and PLAY. Today, I come home and sit my butt either at the computer or in front of the tv. Kids play video games and chat/surf the net rather than getting any actual physical activity. Yes, school lunches are bad, but inactivity is equally to blame for today's overweight youth.

Bah. I just hate it when people try to blame only one aspect of modern life for our weight problems. You can't blame food without considering inactivity. I guess this wasn't mostly about Fat Actress, so I apologize for going off-topic. Just thought it was at least related (a movie vs. a comedy series). I'll stop babbling now
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:41 AM   #15  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I agree with you on all of it. The big thing I see that's changed since I was a kid is just what you said: We used to come home and play outside. I was always a heavy girl, but I rode my bike, played ball with my dog, puttered around the high school near our house, etc. And I served as the remote control for my father when he watched TV...Click, click, click.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote