Taking a Break

• I've decided that after months of absolutly no results in my weight loss efforts to take a break for a while. Call it a maintinance break. I am exhausted from obcessing over food all the time, cringing over every bite, and having the words "I cant have that" be used so often in my vocabulary. I'm tired of feeling that sickening dissappointment week after week, when I've been so dillagent, but the scale hasn't moved. I am physically exhausted from pushing myself too hard at the gym...just so that I can have a little bit more food. Mostly I'm just depressed about it all. This isn't any way to live. It should't be this way all the time.
    So, I'm taking a step back to examine, re-evaluate, and to get my spirit back, and maybe I'll continue my weight loss later. For right I'm (and apparently my body is too), satisfied to maintain for a while.
  • I think a maintenance break is a fine idea when you feel like you are spinning your wheels. In fact, there are some experts who advocate losing 10% of your weight and maintaining for a while ... then losing 10% more and maintaining that ... etc. ... to let your body and mind catch up with the results of your efforts. As long as you truly maintain and keep your good habits and don't start sliding and regaining, it could be just what you need to get a second wind. If you've really made that "lifestyle change" switch in your head, you'll be fine and you'll know when you feel re-energized and ready to start down the homestretch to your final goal.
  • Well, you've lost 60lbs. in just over a year. Congratulations! By now, I think you know what your body needs most. Why not give it to it?

Just don't leave us! Best wishes, Amy Jo!
  • I totally agree with funniegrrl, sometime maintaining is the hardest part, so maybe it will be a good test for you. You have done SO well, you should be very proud of that. Keep posting, let us know how the maintaining thing goes I've slipped up on things in the past week, and I lost, which I think it's possible that sometimes our bodies do need a break. Anyways I hope you get your spirit back!

-Aimee
  • I know it takes a huge amount of concentration and mental and physical effort to do this. It really does get exhausting. Sometimes knowing when to take a break can be the best thing. Take it easy, Amy Jo.
  • That's fine as long as you still check in every once in awhile. I think we would miss you if you went away completely.
  • Amy Jo, that sounds like a really positive decision. You have done so well, that why not take some time to enjoy your success and just practise maintaining the lifestyle. I took a maintaining break a few months ago, and it worked out pretty well - mainly I ate healthily, but I did less exercise. It has given me some confidence that I have really made lifestyle changes, and am not going to backslide.....
  • Very understandable... just keep postign here daily!!! Because we are so much more then just dieters. We are all friends!!
  • I agree with Claire that it sounds like you have thought this through long and hard. I think sometimes we all need a break if nothing else to stay sane. I also agree with funnygrrl and sometimes it takes maintaining for a while and get used to the new you before finding a newer you. Good luck with the maintaince and please don't think you can't post here anymore just because you aren't in weight loss mode.
  • Thanks you guys for your kind words. It really means alot to me. Its funny, I feel less stressed out, but really scared in a whole new way. Im scared that I'll just gain it all back, but I know that if I've actually LEARNED how to do this, then I'll be fine.
  • Just remember, nothing is forever, and there is no such thing as a point of no return. If you feel yourself slipping, then come back to "weight loss mode" for a while until you feel more steady on your feet. Just take one day at a time and know that you always have options.
  • Like the rest said you can take a break but not from us. Nothing wrong with maintaining for awhile. Maybe your body is happy where it's at.