Old 01-26-2005, 01:57 PM   #16  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I love soup during the winter time too. Our store sells these soup packets, with root veggies, celery, carrots, onions, leeks. I'll chop that, saute it up, add stock and chicken and some herbs and that makes for a good soup. Last batch wasn't as good as usual. I think my heart wasn't into it.

I made a soup with leeks and beans that was really easy, used canned white beans. Saute the leeks in a little olive oil, add about a tbl of flower, cook that, add stock and beans and ham (or other meat, or eat meatless).

I've made a butternut squash soup that I love too. It's basically an onion (sauted), 1/2 cup of apple juice, stock, cooked squash that's been pureed, and an apple chopped up, cooked and pureed with the squash. then curry to taste.

Thanks for the soup link.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #17  
Old Cackler

i saw a recipe this week that sounded WONDERFUL, but i can't remember where! it was a barley soup with kale and other veggies. <sigh> sure hope i find it. maybe i saw it when i was squirrelling around the consumer information for the latest dietary guidelines? it was in glorious color, like the nicely designed, 8th-grade-reading-level brochure pdf.

see what i do for my job????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #18  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Default All I am sayin' is give peas a chance

It's another soup day! My mom brought over some homemade vegetable beef soup, and that made me hanker for some split pea soup. Soup for brains, that's me lately.

This time I made the split pea with ham. I had a 20oz bag of dried split peas and I added a cup of leftover Christmas ham I'd frozen. Along with 12 cups of water, I added fresh onion and carrots, a can of vegetable broth, and maybe half the smoked ham flavor packet that came with the peas. It is delicious! Howie's not a fan of peas, so it'll be allll mine (and my mom's - she's the one who started me loving the stuff).

It made 14 cups, so each cup has 131 calories and under 2 grams of fat. It'll go in the freezer with the rest of the chicken soup I made a couple days ago.

Howie just walked in the door, and I'm serenading him: All I am sayin', is give peas a chance...
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #19  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

we just finished our chicken soup. tasted better after it sat in the fridge a couple of days!

mmmm, split pea soup sounds good. Maybe I'll try that next week. Do you put any other spices in it? or herbs?
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You are too funny Kimberley. :rolf:
I opened up my recipes cards I got last night and it has a ton of good sounding stews and soups. There's one that would even be good for summer since it's a cold cucumber one. I'll get the recipe tonight and type it up to share.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:40 PM   #21  
Howie6267's Honey

The only spices I added were salt and pepper.

Y'all, I'll have you know Howie tried a spoonful of the green splendor and said, "it tastes just like bean soup". He paused and said, "it's really good".

YES!

Kimberley
Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #22  
Phil 4:8

good morning ladies,
i think it's my dirst time here. just started to weeks ago. i love homemade soup. enen though i don't have to fight the fridget snow storms that some of you are. i fight the dull drum rain. we had flooding rains last week. lots of the rivewrs ovee flowed there banks. i have made minnistone and split pee soup. as well as a stew. it is that time of year. you just feel like a bowl of soup some good bread a fire and something hot to drink and baby you are set for the evenig. is that a comfort meal or what. i'm wanting to make lentil soup and patato soup soon. hope you all are staying on track. life is good and yu are treating yourselves well. keep warm and safe.
kind regards,
mary
craftymom2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #23  
Howie6267's Honey

Hi, Mary - welcome! I've never made lentil soup....Hmmmmmm....

Thing is, I've run out of freezer containers and freezer space!

Last edited by Gardenwife; 01-27-2005 at 02:47 PM.