Old 11-16-2004, 09:27 PM   #1  
beautiful

Default stair help

i have a stair stepper thing. its just one with the pedals that you stand on and push up and down, its not electric or motorized or anything. it has 12 settings (1- easy, 12- the hardest)

what i'm wondering is how could i measure my steps in something besides steps.... like how many steps are in a flight of stairs (like on the biggest loser tonight they said 1500 steps were in the 74 story building), how many steps would it take to climb a pyramid... stuff like that. i don't even know what to look for when doing a search about it. any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated!!!
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #2  

Shelly, I don't even know where you would begin to find that information, but I think it would be so cool to be able to use big things like the Great pyramids to incorporate into your stair-stepper exercise. I think if you could get how tall they are then you could probably closely figure out how many steps it would be. There has to be a website or someone out there who could explain how many stairs are in a certain number of feet. I think it can be figured out. Let me know if you find out the tallness of some of the objects you are interested in.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:03 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi Shelly,

The number of steps inside the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is 257. Our family was just there in October and my son, daughter, grandson and his dad climbed them.

Just for the heck of it, I plugged into the search ~ "number of steps inside the Statue of Liberty", and found different web sites ~ they said 354. I didn't try any other things, but you could probably plug in different things and find out.

Hope that helps.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #4  

Shelly,
If there are 1500 stairs in a 74 floor skyscraper than that rounds out to 20.27 steps per floor. Round that to say 20, and there are an average of 10 feet per story. So if you can find out how tall the pyramid is in feet, divide by 10 and that will give you the number of floors, then figure 20 steps per floor and you will find how many steps you need.
example: The great pyramid of Giza is 481 feet high. That is 48.1 stories tall. Assuming it takes 20 steps to make one floor you would need 962 steps to reach the top
481/10=48.1 x 20 =962.
Hope this helps.
Carol
SPOILDWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #5  

Just for the heck of it I figured out some more steps based on the above:

Eiffel Tower = 1665 steps (ok this one was on the website so I cheated)
Empire State = 1720 steps (based on getting to the observatory)
Mt. Everest = 58,070 (for when you are really feeling ambitious)

And for you walkers out there, the Great Wall of China is 4,163 miles long
SPOILDWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #6  
beautiful

heck yeah!!!!! these are GREAT!!!!!
i'm writing all these down in my notebook.
thanks so much ladies!
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote