Old 11-01-2004, 06:55 PM   #1  
beautiful

Default *good* snacks that are...well, good!

i don't know if this thread will fly but its worth a try. i wanted to share something i have found that is pretty good in taste and good for staying OP... and i thought that we could share ideas (and OMG how cute is that blushing smilie guy over there?!?!?! ) ok back to the topic, do i have ADD or what? LOL

anyway yeah if we share ideas on healthy and OP snacks we could
1) try something new that we probably might not have thought about before
2) have a variety of things to choose from to keep us OP
3) see what others are doing for snacks

i wanted to share what i've been snacking on lately when i can't find anything else to satisfy me.

for about 100 calories (and even less depending on what you use)
i take 2 slices of sandwich turkey breast or ham (around 15-30 calories per slice and 0-1 gr fat per slice, 0 carbs... again depending on what you use) and layer that with fat free french onion dip (2 tbsp is 20 calories, 0 fat, 3 carbs) and then top that with an enormous amount of fresh spinach leaves and roll it up and down it goes. its really good, filling and a lot healthier than other options out there.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

1) Veggies and hummus - I'll eat celery, sweet bell peppers or carrots and dip them in hummus. I really enjoy it.
2) Pickles - ok they are a bit salty but good
3) Tomatoes and lowfat cheese
3) Sunflower seeds - ok they are salty and high in fat, but a good fat. I would recommend it all the time, but if you buy sunflower seeds in their shell, they take a long time to eat.

that is all I have for now
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:32 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Shelly ~ that sounds good ~ maybe will try it.

Nellie ~ what is humus? I have heard of it, but not sure what it is ~ is it something you can buy, or do you make it?
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:02 AM   #4  

Good thread, Shelly!

I tend to look for low calorie snacks that don't take any preparation. I keep a lot of the single serving size bags of baby carrots on hand, string cheese, apples, small sugar free yogurt cups, cottage cheese, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, baked tortilla chips and salsa, hummus and veggies, frosted mini-wheats (a little goes a long way there), low calorie soups, hard boiled eggs, leftover grilled chicken, etc.

I often will assemble snacks or lunches (sometimes dinner) by combining several of these, and rarely have the same combo twice in one week. I kind of think of it like eating in units. I know the calorie counts of servings of all of these "staples" in my fridge, so I can quickly pull together snacks and meals without accidentally going over my calorie limit. Plus, it's pretty much no-prep! I work full time and like to be able to make my lunch/snacks in the morning in less than 2 minutes (I'm always running late for my carpool). Also eating lots of little low calorie items makes me feel like I'm getting more to eat.
SkinnyBoPeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:13 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Glynne, you can make hummus but I prefer to buy it. It is a chickpea(garbanzo bean) dip. You can find it at Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Wild Oats or other natural food stores. You can also find it at grocery stores, usually in the speciality cheese section. It is generally a favorite of vegetarians.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:56 AM   #6  

Hummus is great, and you can normally find it in several flavors to add some spice. Shelly, love your idea. Great way to sneak in more veggies.

One staple for me are the Blue Bunny fudge bars. They are a decent size, 60 calories and I really feel like I am having a treat. My craving for sweets had greatly diminished, but when it arises, these hit the spot.
vivian10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #7  

I do raw baby carrots and cauliflower with some dip, or some sugar free popsicles-my favorite is the lifesavors flavors or some sugar free fudgicles, when I started out I had a supply of sugar free jello cups and a tub of light cool whip and would grab a cup if jello and scoop of cool whip and it would help curb my craving.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:46 PM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I love meat so for my snack I like to make chicken wings. There are several pre cooked wings out there that are only 180 to 220 calories for 4. Tyson is one and then Walmarts and Mejier sells some off brands. I pop them in the microwave and then put my favorite hot sauce on them and sometimes chase them with a cold light beer. So total snack 330 calories w/beer.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

My mid-afternoon snack staple -- although over 100 calories -- is:

1 protein drink (110 calories, no carbs, no fat, 26g protein)
1 serving (6 oz.) nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup blueberries (thawed from frozen, and unsweetened)

Very filling, good fiber bump, nonfat dairy, and balanced. Yum! This is my mid-afternoon ritual, as it fills me up enough to tide me over through my workout after work and before dinner.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote