Old 10-25-2004, 07:40 PM   #1  
baygurl

S/C/G: 326/See ticker/170

Height: 5 9

Question Excess skin

I noticed that there are alot of big losers in here,weight I mean ,anyhow I too have alot of weight to loose and I'm just wondering if you had any problems with excess skin?I hope after I loose my 150 I don't look like a raisin.
baygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Check out this thread for skin FAQs:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

At 79 lbs. lost, I haven't had that much problem with excess skin. I'm losing pretty slowly, however, and perhaps that's the reason.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:23 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

There are so many factors that go into the development of loose skin: heredity, age at time of loss, resistance training (weights) during loss, length of time spent obese, and so much more. It's important to know that there's no "right" way or "wrong" way to lose weight and avoid loose skin, and there really is only so much under our control. The only thing we can do is just work on our loss, and take the added steps of drinking lots of water and including weight training in the process. The rest just is what it is. For some it's an issue and they've lost slowly, for others it's not an issue and they've lost at a really rapid rate. It would make sense that losing slowly would give this organ a chance to adapt along with the decreased size, but apparently that's not really a factor. I've already noted decreased elasticity on my belly skin (my stomach is a LOT smaller than it was, thank God!) and I'm hoping that it rebounds -- they say to give it a year to see what's going to happen -- but if it doesn't, I'd rather have some loose empty skinthat I can camouflage and be healthy, fit and slender than have nice taut skin stretched over an extra 145 pounds of fat. Ya' know??

That said, I know that those who can afford it opt for some surgery and are really happy to have done so. In my case, I'll have to see if there's some kind of payment plan available in order for that to be possible. I'm adopting a wait and see attitude and hoping it's not too bad. Either way, I'll deal with it.

Sheila, I'm glad you provided that link --- that thread pretty much lays it all out there. And I'm really glad you haven't had to deal with this problem!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #4  
baygurl

S/C/G: 326/See ticker/170

Height: 5 9

Thank you Sheila for that thread and I agree with you Sarah I would rather have that excess skin than have it streched out over extra pounds.I find this site so helpful and everyone can answer your questions for you.I have been overweight for about 5 years so I'm hoping everything goes back where it is suppose to go,I'f not then I'll deal with it when the time comes.
baygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #5  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

I was thinking the same thing Dawn .... I am scared of all the excess skin that will be hanging around (literally). But my days of worrying about that are far away .. I still quiet a bit to lose ... I'm starting fresh once again (for like my fourth time) ... Where in Canada are you?
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #6  
Exercise Vidiot

Hi Dawn!

I have some loose skin on my upper arms and on my belly. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I can even wear a bikini! You don't really notice that my skin is loose except it feels a little squishy when you touch it. Or if I stick out my arm and shake it you can really tell how loose it is. But, overall I just look healthy. It doesn't bother me at all. I have lost the weight relatively slowly (about 1 lb per week) and I'm relatively young (just turned 27) so maybe that helps...
Fitbabe is offline   Reply With Quote