Old 10-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Default How do you Remotivate?

i have been in a rut again,.. feeling blah,.. Im not off plan but im just feeling like i am on autopilot. I also have been slacking just a bit on exercise too. Ive been getting 4 sessions a week instead of my usual 6 or 7 and then I catch myself thinking that Im not getting anywhere. This set of feelings is all too familiar and this is usually when i quit, but thankfully I have this board to vent on. I recognize that im just sort of "going through the motions" and half a**ing everything. How do you guys get re-motivated??
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:30 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Heather, I'm going to bother you again about this but... MEASURE!!!! Seriously, measurements help me keep myself motivated. If you don't see progress, then it is hard to stay motivated.

What do I tell myself to keep myself motivated? I ask myself "Where would I be if I stopped?" and I know exactly where, I'd be gaining weight, wearing a bigger size, not feeling as strong or as fit as I feel right now. "Where will I be if I keep going?" I'd be losing weight, wearing a smaller size, feeling stronger and fitter.

Blahs happen, don't give up. Also don't leave us no matter how blah you feel, keep trying to be healthy on the forefront of your mind.

I wish you the best Heather, I know how hard it is.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:46 AM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I agree with Nelie. You need to weigh or measure. If I did not see the progress I would have a hard time staying motivated. I like weighing myself because they weight goes down quicker than the inches.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:57 AM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I agree wholeheartedly. Heather, you seriously need to measure yourself. What's the obstacle, girlfriend? Get the tape and pen and piece of paper, grab the hubby, and measure away! I know it can be a little scary the first time (I was afraid to see quite how big I was right there in inches) -- but the progress that you see afterwards is absolutely worth it. And it will go a long way to helping out your motivation to actually see some quantifiable results. You really need to do this!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3

Hiya,

I agree with the measuring part. Also, take the time to pat yourself on the back for how far you have come! I don't know if this applies to you, but one thing I notice when I'm in a rut is that I'm getting bored with the same routine. So, I try to change my routine in at least one way. Are you getting into the habit of eating the same things every day? Are you getting bored with doing the same type of workouts? Plan to eat some different things, to do a different kind of exercise, etc. Hope this helps!
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #6  

Things do tend to get a bit boring don't they? Maybe you're settling in to the idea the that this is an every day thing that you'll be doing for the rest of your life, and some of the excitement has worn off, right? This is where you've really got to make the commitment to buckle down and get 'er done, day in and day out. I think that setting mini goals for yourself would be a good idea right now. It gives you something to really work towards, and a great sense of accomplishment as you reach each one. I also agree with the measuring, I only wish I had done it when I first started out. Anything to keep you excited and motivated at this point is a good idea. Also, I know that shaking up the routine really helped me a lot. I tried a Pilates For Dummies tape at one point, started lifting weights, which I still do regularly, and more recently, switched from my treadmill to a Gazelle (which I absolutely love, by the way!). And you've got to play with new and different food ideas so you don't get burned out on the same old things. Remember, this is the time where the going gets tough, but it's also a perfect opportunity to prove to yourself that you can do anything if you set your mind to it. Even though the excitement may have worn off, you're in this for the long haul, so believe in yourself and do what it takes to keep you going. You'll thank yourself in the end, I promise.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Beverly is right, setting goals is very important as well as some variety.

I once read (I may butcher this but...) "It is nearly impossible to get anywhere if you don't know where you are going" which is why setting goals is important. I always have multiple goals regarding my weight loss. My current longterm goals include wearing a size 22 pant, weighing 275 and getting my waist measurements into the 30's. Of course I also have daily goals including getting in 4 servings of veggies a day, eating something that has protein every 3-4 hours, getting some form of exercise every day, eating lean meats, watching my portions, etc etc.

Adding variety is important as well. What about taking a walk outside one day instead of WATP ? How about looking into some light weights? Maybe adding something different into your food regimen?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #8  

Sometimes when I get that blah rut feeling it really helps me to go try on some clothes in sizes that fit me or get my hair done or do something really girly like paint my nails and do my makeup. It just gives me a little kick and makes feel like I am working toward something even better. That and take out some of the before pictures and look at them!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sometimes we need something new to focus on. You're worried that you've lost your rhythm with exercise. Is you exercise boring you? If so, switch it up. If not, re-focus that exercise. Pick something amazing like doing a 5K for charity. Sometimes just have something new to focus on that is not OURLSELVES can make a world of difference. When you have someone counting on you, you'll be amazed how fast you'll move into action.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote