10 mile walk this weekend

• Hi everybody!

How are you all?

I am challenging myself this weekend. I signed up for the Memory walk for Alzheimers set for this weekend. My grandfather has the disease and so that was the major motivator for my participation. Other motivation factors are that it is a team from work--so Its a function that I should attend and two, it's an opportunity to get some major exercise in. I committed to 10 miles. I am going to do it! I am so excited. My co-workers on the team think I'm crazy and they won't commit to it! I don't care if I have to walk alone, in the rain up a hill in 5 degree weather in a snowstorm with holes in my shoes... I am doing it. I want to get into the best shape possible!

I also using a response I received in another forum as a motivator.. I'll explain: I posted a little something on the maintainers forum about my motivation and why is the weight loss so slow when reaching goal. One of the gals suggested rather than focusing on the scale, I should pick something else to "goal for". By focusing on the new goal, I won't concentrate compulsively and be so obsessed with losing the last 15-20 lbs and the lbs will work themselves away without my noticing! That makes total sense (in my mind anyway). SO, this winter, I plan to start running in preparation for a marathon. We'll see. BUT if the plan works and I focus on that goal, my metabolism with pump up and I'll eventually lose the remaining weight without being so obsessed over my food effort. SOOOO... That's my new goal. I thought I'd start out with this walk. Whadda ya think? I'm excited. My feet on the other hand...well, we'll see how I feel on Sunday!

I'll let you know how I did!!
  • I'm in your corner, Gretchen! Sounds like a great plan.....make sure you wear comfy socks, girlfriend! I'm sure you'll do just fine -- but I'd make sure you do some easy walking between now and then to stay loosened up, and don't forget to stretch really well before the big walk! I've done four 20-mile walkathons -- I KNOW you'll finish NO PROBLEM! (I do predict a little soreness afterwards, though! )
  • Good for you Gretchen for committing to this AND its for a great cause!

Make sure you get a good night's sleep the night before and have a hearty breakfast! I know you can do this NO problem... You'll kick it in the butt! I have faith in you girlfriend!

And as for the cure for the soreness Sarah mentioned... My advise is a nice hot bubble bath when you get home... then cozy PJ's and snuggling up to your honey!
  • this is great! i know you'll be able to do it!!!
    get some good insoles too!
  • Thats a really great idea I frequently read runner's magazine and they talk about weight loss and how focusing on a run really helps change the energy from "losing" to "gaining".. I love the idea.. but hate running, more power to yah!! Get a good CD player with some really up beat music (you would NOT believe how much that helps get through a run!). Try a little yoga after your big walk, it might be the farthest thing from what you FEEL like doing, but it'll losen up those muscles And maybe a bath with some epsum salts? (I can't spell ) I look forward to hearing about your training
  • Gretchen, I am so proud of you and excited for you! Good luck. As for prepping for running a marathon, it's a great idea. Let us know how it goes! Love the new avatar, by the way..
  • Hey Gretchen,
    I think its a great idea. You can do it!! I love your new hair do. I can tell a difference from your last pic, your face and neck are so slim. You are a stunner!
  • 10 miles!!! Good for you!!!

I think focusing on a marathon makes good sense. Sometimes it hard to realize that it isn't all about the lbs. I know you'll do it!!!!
  • That is awesome. I don't think you'll have a problem at all with the 10 miles since you've been doing 5 or so a day anyway. Good luck with it. I also think it's great that you are working toward a marathon.
  • Gretchen

you go girl!!!!! I'm sure you'lle make the 10 miles, and I bet you'lle really enjoy it - and feel fantastic for doing it.

As to the marathon - brilliant idea. I really think focusing on an exercise challenge is a great way of staying motivated, and minimising the food-obsession stuff.

Good luck!