Old 09-26-2004, 12:21 PM   #1  

Default sleep

i know a lot of people lead busy lives and it's hard sometimes to fit everything you want to do in one day. when you add an exercise routine to your day you may be getting up an hour or two earlier or get home later in the evening and still have a bunch of stuff to do. here's something about the importance of getting enough sleep from http://www.hussman.org/fitness/ .

"A note about sleep. If you try to transform your physique while depriving yourself of sleep, you're working against yourself. Sleep deprivation substantially increases a hormone called cortisol (see the section on metabolism) and will increase your appetite for junk carbohydrates, reduce your metabolic activity during waking hours, and get in the way of muscle growth. Ideally, find a way to get 8 and preferably 9 hours of sleep a night during the main "transformation" part of your program. I know, I know, that means that you have to change your schedule some. But you've got to understand that your body is the way it is right now because that's how it has adapted to the lifestyle you're living. If you want to change your body, you've also got to change that lifestyle. Your physique won't transform in a vacuum. Your body will change when you find more constructive ways to adapt to your circumstances. And that includes getting enough sleep. "

what do you think? are you getting enough sleep? have your sleeping patterns changed since you started exercising?

have a good sunday all,
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think I sleep better since I started exercising. I was always tired and felt like I never got enough sleep before I was exercising regularly and eating decently.

I tend to get 7-8 hours of sleep usually more around 7 hours.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #3  
Samantha

I definitely sleep better, but I don't know whether to contribute it to giving up caffiene, or getting more exersize. I usually sleep about 7 hours on the weekdays, but this morning when I let myself sleep in I slept for about 11 hours!!
Before I went on my diet it took me a good hour to actually FALL asleep. Now, as soon as my head hits the pillow I am asleep, and I actually sleep all the way through the night.
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #4  

i definitely sleep better too. i also used to spend one, two, three hours in bed before falling asleep. now i'm usually out within 30 minutes. i'm lucky to be able to have a nap most days during the afternoon, which is a truly wonderful luxury. i also rarely have nightmares now which were a nightly occurrance since i was a child (but i can't really say that's due exclusively to exercise).
it's great that you slept for 11 hours! i love that. what's frustrating sometimes is when you know you can sleep in if you want, cause you have nothing scheduled for the next morning, and you wake up early anyways. i hate that!

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the reminder, Gen! I actually never knew that. Just another incentive to be well-rested.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:58 PM   #6  
Getting back on track!

Excellent information. Thanks!
I go to sleep within 10 minutes of getting into bed but I always wake up early. If I need to catch up on sleep I have to go to bed really early because I find it impossible to sleep in. Even if I'm tired out I'll wake up at 5.30 - 6.00am naturally. I am a zombie after about 10pm and have even fallen asleep on the phone once!!!
I always want to eat junk when I'm tired and feel 'crappy' but had never known why. I just thought it was 'comfort' eating.
When I've had a good long ride outside on my bike I sleep so well!
Thanks Gen
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I always get at least 8 hours of sleep, I think it comes from when I was younger and on the swim team, if you aren't well rested you just can't compete or train properly. But I do find if I'm busy (which generally involves lots of walking) I sleep better.
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Great Topic!!!!

A few weeks back I was sick and was turning in at 9:00. I get up at 5:00 am, so that was giving me my 8 hours. I promised myself that when I got well, I would continue the habit, but of course, I haven't. I usually get to bed between 10:30 and 11:00. I feel so much better when I get my 8 hours.

This is about changing our lives and living and feeling better, not just losing weight. I think that getting enough sleep is as important as exercising and we need to make it just as much of a priority!!!

Thanks for the reminder and the wake up call!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I had read that site a long time ago, thanks for the reminder... For me lack of sleep leads to junk eating, which leads to tiredness, which leads to junk eating... Vicious circle!!! Therefore I try to get enough sleep 6-8 hours... I also tend to wake up early no matter what time I go to bed...I to sleep!!!!

Last edited by Lanaii1; 09-27-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 PM   #10  
Live for the Moment!

Great topic Gen!

I find that eating healthy and working out helps me get a much better night sleep! I feel much more well rested when I wake the next morning and much more energized for my day.

I agree with Lanaii - when I have lack of sleep, I'm more inclined to eat bad and not work out as I'm too tired and lazy. It does become a vicious circle!

So, yes - all in all, make sure you're getting a good night's rest every night ladies! It definetly helps keep you on plan!

Sweet Dreams,
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:44 PM   #11  
Samantha

I have also noticed that when I do not get enough sleep I have a hard time controlling my appetite the next day. Maybe my body is trying to compensate by getting more energy from food, I don't know.
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote