Old 10-03-2004, 02:45 PM   #61  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I met my partner of 6 years when she answered my personal ad.....I'd never placed one before, so I was pretty nervous! I thank God I made that move and took the chance, because I found the love of my life! Go figure! We talked on the phone for a couple of weeks, then met...I decided I just wanted to be friends (stupid girl)....changed my mind after a few months, then we dated for 3 months before I moved in with her.....and then 4 1/2 years later we got as close to getting married as we can, and had a commitment ceremony. That was almost 2 years ago and we're still very much in love. My fantasy is to someday be able to actually marry her and have it legally recognized and respected.

I love a love story!

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 10-03-2004 at 02:47 PM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #62  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

You go girl! Get a kiss for me while your at it!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:48 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm so excited for you, Annie! And I'm loving reading these stories.

I met my DH when I was getting my biorhythm chart done by a guy I knew who worked in a computer lab at a comm. college. I'd seen this really tall, big, bearded, longhaired guy in the cafeteria and some friends told me who he was. I was hooked, and knew he hung out in the computer lab. Hhhmm, I guess you could say I stalked him! I started talking with him after that first introduction, then I asked him out. We had the best time ever on a first date. Then he didn't call. I was so upset that I went to the computer lab and discovered that he'd lost his contact and was wearing dorky high school glasses. He hadn't wanted to call me until he got his new contacts. We still laugh about that 23 years later. I met him in January 1981 and we got married in June 1981. Pretty fast, but we've never regretted it for a second.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 201/201/110

Height: 5'1"

Awwww, Romance stories are the best!!! Congrats to everyone and to you Annie!! It is fun when you first find love!! That just makes a smile come to my face! Let's see, I just got stationed here and had been here for 3 days, he was due to leave here in a month. I seen my future DH at the chow hall while i was eating and as he was leaving. The only think i could think was-thats going to be my husband. (he didnt even look cute at the time cause he hadnt shaved or anything, he was so scraggy looking! but once he cleaned up, he was hot!!) He was with a group of friends and one guy i had known in school asked me to go hang out with them. I said sure and he gave me the room number. So after eating i went there, thinking it was my friends room, and it was the guys. My friend had went to go change and so the guy and i hung out for a few minutes waiting for everyone. He started to show me pics of his family and then the people started to show up. There was another girl there who was married-and her husband was with her, but she kept haning on him, and i was so mad, i just wanted to rip her off of him-i couldnt believe i was that mad when i had known him for like 30 min!! He didnt talk to me much with everyone there, but as i was leaving, he asked if i wanted to hang out with him the next day. I said sure and within a week we were talking about getting married and within 2 weeks trying to get preg-about a month later we found out i was preg. It took a while to get married due to the amount of paperwork involved, but we married 3 months later, and they ended up letting him stay here-which was extremely lucky cause he already had his orders! wheew!! That was 5 years ago and we had another addition 6 months ago.
chelle567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That sound like a super start and your story sounds like how Jeff and my relationship started out.
We 2 met online. He saw my profile and sent me an e-mail. I sat on it for a couple of months. We both lived in the same county and I didn't much care for the town he (now I) was from. So I responded finally to his e-mail. We started chatting and one evening while I was chatting with him, my baby brother came in. Turns out they both went to vo-tech together. So I agreed to meet him.
That was on Dec. 21, 2001. He cooked me dinner at his house and I left at 3 a.m. to go home after watching movies. (I wouldn't let him kiss me that first night.) I went back for movies the next night (he got a smooch then but that's all). We had a few more dates. I moved in in Mar. 2002, got preggo a couple of weeks after that and we got married on June 21, 2002. I feel like I've known him all my life and I honestly can't remember my life before Jeff.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #66  

it's amazing how many people here have met their husbands to be online. as a coincidence i just signed up on an internet dating site, after much prodding. but now i'm so chicken to actually set up a date. i know "go for it" but still. i guess it's pretty common and normal now.
you know what would be nice? if i had a date for my brother's wedding in two months. that could be a goal i guess.
well i just don't know how i'm going to do this.
ackk!

gen
i have no nice clothes either!
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 201/201/110

Height: 5'1"

Yeah you should definetly go for it! You never know what will happen! Who knows maybe you will meet someone at the wedding. I am not much of a social person, i never know what to say in a group of people-even i know them!!! Either way, i hope you do have fun when you go!!
chelle567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:40 PM   #68  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

dh and I met online in Jan 1998 - crazy we were!! I was in Canada and he was in California! Within 5 months I sold everything, quit my job and moved to the states with my cat! Think positive - the bigger the risk - the bigger the reward!!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I totally support and agree with the online scene!! Just be careful, there are creeps out there. But if you keep your eyes open and head on and let your heart lead the way, it is a wonderful thing to pursue! Just my two cents. I am partial to the internet dating since I met my hubby there!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #70  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Gen, go for it and let us know how it goes!

I don't think I would ever try an online dating site mostly because I am me Meaning, I've always had trouble dating because of my weight and feeling self concious about it even though I've been with guys who obviously liked me. I would feel a bit self concious putting myself out there. You have made the first step though so that is good, who knows what you'll find?

Of course I'll pass on tips my mom always told me "meet them somewhere" and "always have cash on you for a cab". Of course I suppose a credit card will do as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #71  

this is incredible! i really never knew so many people hooked over the internet.
i'm not getting much action because i haven't put a picture up yet, but i guess i will soon, i pretty much have to.
ok so i have to ask, because this a site for overweight people. did you put up a picture, were you overweight when you met your husbands? did that bother you, make you more self-concious and all that? because the big reason i haven't met anybody in a long while is because i gained weight and just don't feel attractive and don't think anyone would be attracted to me...
gen

Last edited by gatsby; 10-04-2004 at 09:33 PM.
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:46 PM   #72  
Samantha

My husband and I didn't meet in an "online dating site" per se...I just really used to enjoy chatting with people that I met on AOL, and that's how I met him. I mailed him pictures of myself, and he did the same, but I was still REALLY nervous when he came here to meet me for the first time. Everything worked out, though, and I am happy now!!!

Oh and I personally WOULD NOT suggest meeting anyone from online, it is really so dangerous (even though I did it, I know, I know, I am a hypocrite!!) ...just everyone out there, please be careful!!
Sam

Last edited by Samantha2002; 10-04-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #73  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hey, Gen, my friend....I was just thinking about how I found it an advantage to be able to just get the weight thing out of the way by stating it up front, and thereby weed out the folks who just wouldn't be able to bring themselves to "go there" with me because of it......I came here to post about it, and lo and behold, you're asking this question! First of all, I am really sorry that you are feeling this right now. When was the last time you went shopping for some new duds to show off your reduced inches and increased muscle tone? And when did you last get your hair done? I'm as staunch a feminist as they come, girlfriend, and I'm just now learning to respect the power of small makeover acts. Recloaking your body in clothes that flatter it, cutting and/or coloring your hair in a way that makes you feel fresher and prettier (I did both!) -- these simple girly things really help to make you feel more confident. I also think that your self esteem would get a big shot in the arm if you allowed yourself to get into the position of receiving some admiring attention. You are loveable and I know you're beautiful, Gen, and you have just SO MUCH to offer some nice man......****, a BUNCH of nice men!

Now on the topic of pic's, my personal ad was in a newspaper, so I did not have that option...actually she never even read my ad; she just did some kind of phone search (I had left a message about myself) and she liked my voice and what I had to say. I made a point, in both the print ad and the phone message, of saying that I was a big girl. I did it as a sort of defense mechanism, so I wouldn't have to see any disappointed (or worse) expressions if I actually met anyone in person. When I placed the ad, I did so after a couple of glasses of wine, and then later thought better of it......then when curiosity overcame me, and I listened to my response messages, I thought, "What the ****! What have I got to lose and what am I so afraid of? What if I actually got even a friend out of this?!"

I would recommend saying something right off the bat, use humor, and don't scare them off either by exaggerating your weight based on your perception! Make a point of sharing how much you exercise and how intensely, so they know that you possess energy and wonderful muscle tone! Share your humor and intellect, your charm and your wit.......you possess all of these in abundance. Gen, I know some man would sincerely enjoy your company and find you enormously attractive -- allow yourself the opportunity to have this experience. You can keep it safe, you don't have to make yourself too vulnerable -- and at the same time, sometimes you have to put yourself out there to receive life's gifts. I was terrified, and looking within myself for the courage to make this move brought me love and joy....and lots of kisses.

I'm here for you, friend, if you need anything at all.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #74  
Exercise Vidiot

I met my husband on match.com in 2002! I did not post a pic but accurately described myself and gots tons of responses (and I weighed about 250 then). Among the emails I got was one from my husband. I met him for our first date one week after he emailed me. 10 months later we were married. He was the first person I met from the internet. I had dated a lot before trying match.com. I think match.com is great because you meet other people serious about finding someone to spend their lives with. I was 24 at the time and most men I had met wanted casual relationships, so I decided to try the internet, and I am SO glad I did.
Fitbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:09 AM   #75  
Samantha

Wow, guys, I didn't realize that so many people also met their significant others on the internet too!!

Sarah - I totally agree about how just a few simple changes really make you feel good. For me, I recently bought a shirt that I absolutely LOVE - I actually have to be careful that I don't wear it more than once a week!!! And everytime I wear that shirt I make sure to fix my hair up and make up pretty, and I always feel SO good that day...I wish I had MORE shirts like that!!!
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote