Found a new website

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Found this website with an interesting article. It's a long read but worth it.

http://www.thedietchannel.com/faddiets.htm
  • Howie
    Thank you very much for that URL. I wonder how ppl can write such false info and say it's true. I liked The "Eyeball" Method it helps put food to where I understand how much to have with out measuring.
    Thanks once again.
    Mez
  • I'm not trying to start a war here but I've always felt the the low carb diets were not a very healthy plan. What I've read tonight on them just puts it in cement for me. Here is another site I found while researching this. http://www.atkinsdietalert.org
  • I think for some people low carb works for them, but others needs carbs. And it depends on the type of carbs too, veggies are generally a good carb, even Atkins says so. Personally, I can't eat bread, or pasta, or processed foods, or sugary foods, they make me ill, so I tend to eat a low carb diet. Not to lose weight, but so I'm not sick. Also, once you get past the first few stages of Atkins, the diet ends up being pretty darn good, same with South Beach, they balance fruits, veggies, protein and nuts. It's all your taste, and what works for your body. Anything can be proven to be bad for you, infact, I just found out WATER can be bad for you..
  • Low carb diets are not good for your kidneys. I've always said it's not all about the food. Yes, you should make better choices. But I'm tired of ppl searching for the magic fix, the perfect eating plan, etc.

Tis not rocket science: eat less, exercise more.

The sad part for me is, I might need a kidney transplant someday. I won't be able to have one whose original owner damaged it by following a low carb diet.

Also, low-carb is ruining my grocery store.

So thank you for posting an affirmative, helpful link, Howie.
  • Well, low carb diets have been shown to work particularly well for people that have insulin resistance issues. I really don't believe in trying to maintain a state of ketosis, that doesn't seem like a good idea, but I do definitely believe in limiting sugars and processed carbs. I was on a quasi low carb diet of my own design for 3 months, but then realized that I was relying too heavily on processed low carb items. I switched to South Beach Diet, which a lot of people will argue that it is not low carb, but it is low carb compared to the traditional diet and the limiting factors are saturated fats and carbs. I watch my carbs but I also watch the type of carbs I eat. Right now, I feel as if I am eating healthier than I ever have.

Overall, I think the idea of eliminating sugars and processed carbs is a good idea, but I also think that you should try to maintain a balanced as possible diet. I also supplement my diet with a multivitamin just in case there are some nutrients that I am missing.
  • I agree.... I don't think low-carb is healthy, but I don't think processed high-carb low-fat foods are the answer either.

Nelie is right, they do work well for insulin resistant people.... the problem is that they became so "main stream."

Don't worry too much Howie and Amy; the fad, like all others, will die out when most people realize that you only get out what you put in and that the weight comes back in a HURRY as soon as you're off of it.

ANYWAY-- Thanks for the good reads Howie. Very interesting.
  • Thanks, Howie, for sharing the link to that great website -- what a great resource!

I don't do low carb, by any stretch of the imagination, but I pretty much adhere to a low glycemic carb diet, in that I use the Glycemic Index as a tool in monitoring the amount and nature of my carbs, just as I monitor the amount and nature of my fat and sugar and limit my sodium. I aim for an overall macronutrient breakdown of 40% protein / 35% carb / 25% fat. I also really watch my portion sizes, and just LOVED the section discussing that!

I don't ever want to offend anyone, but in all honesty the South Beach Diet makes better health sense to me than Atkins, as it seems to emphasize quality of carbs rather than grams. But I'm sure not an expert, since I'm following my own thang....

Just one final note: my goals include not just weight loss but also avoidance of some diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and various cancers, so I believe that the Glycemic Index is a good resource to utilize in trying to ward off adult onset diabetes. It just makes sense to me, when used in conjunction with other healthy choices and behaviors.

Thanks again, Howie -- good stuff!
  • Thanks for sharing that Howie. I eat balanced meals for the most part. Not to much of one thing or to little. I feel this way of eating supports good eating habits for life. I don't know how restricting something almost totally from what I eat is teaching me good eating habits...Ex: Atkins. I could not do Atkins anyways. It promotes far to much fat in the diet and I have liver damage and have to be super careful on what fats I consume. Plus, I have not gallbladder to help out so it is very important that I don't go overboard on fatty foods and I feel that on Atkins I might lose weight but in the process damage my liver more. To me the only way I could see losing this weight was to be sensible. I do agree that most processed foods and junk food are not healthy but that is not new news for any of us. I'm on the Common Sense Diet. Works for me. )))
  • I to did not want to offend anyone that may be on the atkins. I know it does work to lose but my concern is are you going to be healthy and can you stay on something like this for life. The studies I read say that most people can not and then they are right back up in weight. Even what I am doing with counting calories can be the same.

Mostly what I am doing is portion control and I am learning to eat more fruits and veggies. For now though I do make sure I don't go over calories just because it makes it easier for me to know when to stop. When I get to maintainance I will try just watching portions and eating right. If I go up I will then kick into calorie mode to take it off.

Sounds like most of us are on the same thought process. I just thought this was some good info to get out. I believe that God gave us all the food groups to eat so why should we try to not eat what He gave us.
  • It's true, God did give us all the food groups... to some extent, our past relatives ate what was in season, and what they could find. And with how our world is now, we can get whatever fruit, or vegetable we want (however it might be expensive), whenever we want.

When it comes to dieting and losing weight, each body is SO incredibly different that the same thing doesn't work the same for everybody. The body is so complex sometimes it amazes me! The important thing that came from Atkins and South Beach is the realization that not all carbs are equal, and that processed foods and sugar aren't great for the body. The thing I liked when I read Atkins book was that Aspartame isn't great for your body, and that natural foods are the way to go. But again, you do what works.. just look up, Nelie follows South Beach, Sarah, a low glycemic carb diet, and Howie has more fruits and veggies and limits portion control, it's so incredibly diverse, but everyone is still losing weight.
  • I would have to disagree on that SwimGirl. There are a few that it would not work for because of health reasons but most would do fine on the suggested serving size and eating fruits and veggies. Look at Japan for example. They have a very low rate of obesity. Why because they eat a lot of fish and vegetables and fruit. The western world has just gone of the deep end on the kind of foods we allow in our bodies.

Now if you prefer a different diet plan than me that is fine. If it works for you or someone else that's great. What ever it takes to get the weight off. I'm all for it as long as you stay healthy. I'm not trying to force my plan on anyone. Would it work for most anyone? I would have to say it would.

I do agree that everyone is different and some diets may appeal more than others. So I would never knock anyone for being on a different plan. I just want everyone to be informed and then make the choice.
  • I also have to disagree with you, your diet plan might not work for me. I simply cannot have pasta, bread, rice, or anything sugary and lose weight. And fruit doesn't work well in my body either. I agree that low carb diets don't work for just anyone, but I do think that limiting processed foods is a good thing. I'm into that "all natural" kinda thing, for the most part of my life I even ate organic-free range meat, thats just too expensive for this girl now
  • I hear what everyone is saying. It is proven that weight can be lost on any of these plans. What I have problem with is long term effects of some of them. I've yet to hear any bad long term effects from eating a balanced diet. Can we say the same for Atkins? What are the long term effects of eating a mostly protein and almost a non-existent amount of carbs? When I talk of carbs I am talking about the good ones. Not refined sugar junk. I've yet to have a doctor tell me that eating three apples a day is going to clog my arteries. I have had a doc tell me that eating tons of meat and cheese and eggs would have adverse effects. How long can you eat like that and remain healthy? I understand that this is done in moderation but to me it is just not healthy. It goes against everything I believe. The body needs a balanced diet. I want to get my vitamins through food itself and not a supplement. I'm not trying to pick on Atkins, it is just the one that I know more about. Do people on Atkins plan to eat that way even after the weight loss?? I'm sure there are things about Atkins that I am ignorant about. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about it. Tis only my opinion.

Nice thread Howie, I like it. It's nice to know what others think.
  • The August issue of Oprah Magazine has a whole section on diets and weight loss strategies. There's a good evaluation of the different diets, stating pros and cons. Just a suggesteon.