Old 08-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Skinny Daily on Overnight Gains

I love the Skinny Daily. You can read them here at 3FC in it's own forum, or get it mailed to your email daily, as I do. I just think Julie Ridl (JuJu) is fabulous, and I always find value in her writings. Here's a link to her wonderful website. Here's today's edition of the Skinny Daily Post -- I think it's a timely reminder for all of us.

Overnight Gains

You gained three pounds overnight?

You ate that pizza yesterday, or too late last night, or you didn’t make the appropriate strategic mix of carbs and fat and protein, and you just knew you blew it. You are scum. You are weak. Today the scale says you’re three pounds up.

You expected some repercussion, some slow down in your loss this week, but this is ridiculous.

Well, yes, it is. Unless your binge had you eating five days-worth of extra food, that three pound gain was a random fluid gain and not the fat you’re working to lose.

Household scales ought to come with a warning label, and maybe a glass vial of valium, to be broken and administered during these sorts of emergencies.

Transient weight gains are exactly why weight loss doctors suggest putting the scale away. The way we handle these bad scale moments can make or break a weight loss effort. And the effort is hard enough without the emotional challenge.

But a fluid gain is no big deal. Fluids can be gained and lost rather easily. And that is why diet pills and diet program vitamins containing mild diuretics are so darned popular. (The euphoria of a big initial weight loss as soon as you start taking Dr X’s vitamins while following his diet is something you remember and helps to build loyalty to the program.)

But fluid gain and loss have no bearing on your fat gain and loss or muscle gain and loss. And your concern is really about that. You want a healthy ratio of muscle and fat in your body. Total weight is only one measure of your progress, and not always a reliable one.

There are many, many reasons you may be retaining fluids. It may be the amount of salt in your system, or a lack of potassium (eat those cucumbers and melons). It may be you worked out hard, your muscles are sore, and your body is holding water to manage the inflammation in your sore parts. Women often gain and lose several pounds of water each month as part of their menstrual cycle. What you ate may be hard for your body to digest, and the extra fluids are helping you manage that. You may be coming down with a cold or a sinus infection. Do you have arthritis or hayfever? Really any inflammation can trigger fluid retention. You may have been dehydrated. Your body will fight hard to keep water when it’s been starved of it recently. That’s why drinking plenty of water while you’re retaining water is a good idea.

So, your little extra piece of pizza wasn’t likely a good habit to form, but it didn’t put three pounds of fat on your body, either. Breathe deeply, eat your cucumbers, drink your water, and try not to live by the scale.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

this is excellent.. Thanks for pointing it out.. I need to get on that mailing list~
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm with gretchen on getting this in my mail box. Really great post.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Sarah, Thanks for sharing that wonderful post. I have wondered how one can gain so quickly. I also understand why my water is so important. I though the reason was to make you feel less hungry and flush the bad things out. Maybe since I know it so much more than that I will drink more. I also didn't know that cucumbers had potassium. I've been eating banannas for that. Which I'm starting to get bored with. You know that saying you learn something new everyday? Well that is so true what the 100 club! BIG THANKS to everyone that finds and shares knowledge so we all can be healthy. HUGZ All around!!
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

That is an great post. Kimberley has been getting her news letter for a few months now. I will have to look in to it.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:58 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking Howie!

Howie, my man -- may I say that you are looking like quite the hotsie totsie in your new avatar, sports fan! I'm particularly glad that you liked this, because you were one of the people I was thinking would especially appreciate it!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Nice timing on that post, I got on my scale this morning (I think I'm checking to see if I REALLY had lost the weight I lost), and I was up 2.5 pounds! I almost had a heart attack, but I'm hoping its either from all the coffee I had yesterday, or maybe from my lunch yesterday. Thanks for the post
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #8  
Abby's Mommy

Thank you for posting this Sarah!! I really need to hear that too!! I think I'll sign up for dailey e-mails,too! I need all the help I can get!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #9  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Glad you like my new avatar Sarah. Thanks for thinking of me with this post. It is very helpful. Those are some tough days when you weigh and have gainded when you know you should not have gained that much.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

not a redskins shirt!!!!! heaven help us all!!!!!

sarah: juju is FABULOUS. an extremely respected journalist, and one of my idols. thanks for posting this here.

and she's RIGHT!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Sarah, you rock for posting this. It'll definitely help me tomorrow morning when I can't resist the scale. I'm definitely going to subscribe. Thanks!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:58 PM   #12  
i see the stars in me

Sarah thanx for posting such a great post def informative
faded_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:05 AM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

Sarah,

Thanks darlin' for this post! I've never heard of this journalist and definetly am going to sign up to get it by email.

Totally motivating and will help me kickstart my day!

Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote