Old 08-05-2004, 02:02 PM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Default Summer BBQ ideas

It seems I've either hosted or been invited to a BBQ every weekend this summer and I'm running out of ideas...

When I'm hosting, I always make sure to throw some chicken breasts on the grill along with the hamburgers, hot-dogs and steaks, and can pretty much make my own healthy salads for sides (usually everyone chips in and brings assorted mayo-based salads and desserts from which I try to restrain myself). As for drinks, we keep spring water, diet pop, iced tea and regular pop on hand and expect the guests to bring their own alcohol. My favourite sipper is President's Choice diet grapefruit pop with vodka at 2 WW points a drink.

What's becoming a problem is what to take to BBQs I'm invited to. I ask beforehand what's planned for the grill and will bring my own chicken-veggie kabobs if the offered fare is something like Italian sausages. But when I'm supposed to bring something for everyone to partake in, I'm running out of ideas. Here's my three mainstays:

Fresh fruit accompanied by my secret dip (consisting of a tub of fat-free sour cream and a package of fat-free coconut cream pie filling [uncooked] mixed together and refrigerated overnight). This is delish - tastes like pina colada and nobody has a clue its guilt-free.

Jill's "Mexican" Salad
Chopped Iceberg lettuce
Fresh chopped tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
Grated low-fat cheddar cheese (I use Black Diamond's Hi/Lo)
Sliced black olives
Bottled chunky salsa
30 broken up Baked Doritos (Nacho flavour)
Mix everything together and top with Doritos

Pass the Pasta Salad Please
1 package veggie or whole wheat pasta (cooked, drained and cooled)
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped red pepper
Chopped celery (amount desired)
Chopped green onions (amount desired)
1 can flaked tuna (drained)
1 cup fat-free Italian dressing
1/4c fat-free parmesan cheese
Mix everything together and chill for a couple of hours.

Anyone got some more quick and easy "guiltless" summer BBQ recipes to share that can take me clean through Labour Day? Thanks
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #2  
Abby's Mommy

Jill, I go through this too. Everytime I go picknicking, I bring something that no one else seems to want, just b/c is guilt- free ot low- guilt! I ususally jus tend up bringing a pasta salad ( very similar to your recipie).
Heres a couple of Ideas I've had:
----Throw some fresh green beans in a crockpot ( for easy long term cooking) with a little red bell pepperand onion chopped up in it for spice and color.
----Toss a regular lettus salad with all the fixins, and bring some of your own (fat free) dressing. Let the others use whatever they want on it
----Fresh grilled ears of corn are DELISH!!
----Build a recipie for grilled vege kabobs. Mushrooms, peppers, squash, zuccini, cherry tomatos, whatever. Maybe brush them w/ fatfree Italian dressing? Then just toss them on when you get there

If all else fails, bring what YOU want. If they dont like it, or are tired of eating it, then they dont have to! BTW, your Mexican Salad sound wonderful, and I'll be trying it out soon!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I have a great recipe for low fat “flavored” cheesecake. Very Very simple and 100 calories per slice..

It goes like this:

1 low fat reduced calorie graham cracker crust

1 - 4-serving size package sugar-free flavored gelatin any flavor—orange and lime are best!!

2/3 C. Boiling water (to make jello)

1 cup low fat cottage cheese

8 ounces fat free cream cheese, cubed

2 cups thawed fat free cool whip

Stir boiling water into gelatin in large bowl at least 2 minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool 5 minutes. Pour into blender container. Add cheeses; cover. Blend on medium speed until well blended, occasionally scraping down side of blender container; pour into large bowl. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into prepared pan; smooth top with spatula. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Remove side of pan just before serving. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator. Serves 8.

Another goodie to take to a picnic:

In a crock pot: Fat free hotdogs in Sauerkraut.. My favorite! Grab some weight watchers buns to take along and you’ve got a great low fat low calorie dish!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Fresh grilled ears of corn...yummy, great idea Ivanna!

I'm definitely making that cheesecake Gretchen, sounds wonderful. 100 calories a slice...what size is a slice - more than 1/8 of the pie I hope?

Thanks you two
Old 08-06-2004, 01:09 AM   #5  
Live for the Moment!

What a great thread! I'm definetly going to try some of these ideas soon, very soon!

As for me.. I'm big on the Chicken Shish-Kabobs...

BBQ Potatoes are good : Slice pototoes thinly, stir with a little Olive Oil, add a chopped onion, whatever spices you want and wrap in Tin-Foil then Cook on the BBQ.

One of my new found faves is my Mandarin Almond Salad!

Mandarin Almond Salad:

- Romaine Lettuce Hearts
-Green Onions
- Can of Mandarin Oranges
- Slivered Almonds (toasted - cook in oven on 375 until golden brown)
- Vinegar
- Sugar OR Splenda (works well with Both)
- Olive Oil

Chop up lettuce and green onions, mix in Can of Mandarin Oranges (drained). Toss with dressing (1/4 Cup of Vinegar, 1/8 Cup of Olive Oil (or less to be even healthier), and Sugar/Splenda to taste) Make sure you shake dressing really well and chill before mixing with salad. Top Salad with Almonds! Enjoy! A little bit bad, but its not too too bad for a treat now and then.
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

My 2 secret Picnic Weapons:

Green Salad:

torn spinach leaves
frozen sweet baby peas, thawed
chopped green onion
chopped green pepper
chopped cilantro
chopped avocado (easy on this, just decorate with it)

And anything else green you can think of to put on it. (cuckes, zucchini, etc)

Fruit Salad:

seedless watermelon chunks
honeydew melon chunks
2 cans Dole pineapple chunks, drained
1-3 cans mandarin oranges, rinsed w/water & drained well
3 large jars maraschino cherries, rinsed & drained well
strawberries, halved
kiwi slices
blueberries, raspberries or blackberries to decorate the top

Mix in a large bowl. Everyone loves this. Very simple. Very light. The cherries have a LOT of sugar, so be sur to rinse them well in water to get that off. The oranges too, although they're not as sugary.

The other thing you could do is bring fat free/sugar free chocolate pudding & strawberries to dunk in it.

I forgot about Pink Dip:

Mix equal parts fat free or lowfat sour cream with thick & chunky medium salsa. It turns pink & is great on baked chips, regular chips, veggies, baked potatoes, etc.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 08-06-2004 at 06:17 PM.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

Wow, lots of ideas here! We're going to a pool party tomorrow, so I'll try a couple of these - thanks a bunch!