3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Question re: goal weights and height/weight charts (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/44402-question-re-goal-weights-height-weight-charts.html)

Stinger766 08-02-2004 04:15 PM

Question re: goal weights and height/weight charts

Hi everyone.

Here's my question. How did everyone decide on their ultimate goals weight? The height/weight scales say that I should weigh between 156-177 I believe. (I'm 5'11" and did the elbow bone measurements and I'm large framed). I was very athletic and muscular in high school and weighed between 190-200, which is the most I want to weigh when I get done with my weight loss. However, I don't know if that's a good weight at my current age (38) or if I should weigh within the h/w scale weights. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any insight. :)

tolose85 08-02-2004 04:29 PM

hmm.. I don't know for sure what the best answer is... I have often heard that you're body will tell you when to quit-- where its most comfortable. I don't know how that works!!

I have determined my goal by the height/weight chart and have had the calipers to elbow test done where bone structure is measured. I am medium frame and 5'4" so my range is 120-140. Initially I will be thrilled to reach the 140 mark which is what I am currently 21 lbs away from but truthfully, I am really aiming for around 130 which will put me right in the middle of the range. Then again, I might just stop when I feel comfortable. Could be more could be less.. Who knows. The options are endless! Most of the charts are pretty standard.. If your dead set on a number then I'd find something on the chart that suits your frame and height!

Good luck to ya Stinger!!

nelie 08-02-2004 04:31 PM

The way I figured my goal weight was that I had my body fat % taken in a mostly reliable method and it came out and said that if I was at 0% fat, I would weigh 176. So going on that and since that was before I started working out hard core, I think 200 lbs would be reasonable for me. I won't really know til I get there though because perhaps 210 will be good for me or 190 will be an ideal weight. I wouldn't worry too much about being exact but maybe set 210 as your goal (since you weighed 190-200 in high school) and then when you get there, you can re-evaluate.

Br00klyn 08-02-2004 04:49 PM

Ingrid,

I think your goal weight is whatever you're going to feel good at. I find that the H/W charts tend to be lower than they should. I as well am 5'11 and I'm thinking around 180 will be good for me. However, I've also been weight training so if I'm toned and healthy at 190 - I'll settle for that.

My tip would be to set a goal weight, based a little above the H/W charts and don't put anything in stone until you get there and see how you feel. You could be very happy and healthy at 200 lbs. You won't fully know until you get there.

Just my two cents..

lessofsarahtolove 08-02-2004 05:02 PM

Hey Ingrid! I agree with everyone else so far that you're going to have to play it by ear till you get closer to the neighborhood of 190-200. It's hard to tell now at what weight you'll feel most comfortable -- or what weight your body will let you achieve at this point in your life.

I'm aiming for something around 140 because it's just a little heavier than the weight I was when I was happiest with my body. I'm planning on having more muscle than I did then, and also I want to settle in a weight that is sustainable without starving myself!

I think you should just aim for 195 for now, and then play it by ear once you get closer to goal. :)

ajvw 08-02-2004 08:24 PM

Hello Stinger,

The best chart that gives you a goal weight based on height, regardless of age or sex. is the Body Mass Index, or BMI. The chart provides you with a weight range for your height, in inches. A healthy weight is between a BMI of 18.5 to 25.0.

First you calculate your BMI, and then you compare it to the chart. Look down the left column for your height, then go across the top row to find your BMI range of 18.5 - 25.0, that is your healthy weight range, all medical conditions considered.

The formula can be found on the web, under CDC.gov, or Dr. Weil's site, or the National Institute of Health, so you can doublecheck my information.

The formula : [Weight in Pounds divided by height in inches divided by height in inches] times 703 = BMI. Or [Pounds/Inches/Inches] X 703 = BMI

It should give you a number between 17 and 40.

Underweight - BMI is less than 18.5
Healthy weight - BMI is between 18.5 and 25.0
Overweight - BMI is between 25.0 and 29.9
Obese - BMI is over 30.0

Let me know if you have more questions.

ajvw 08-02-2004 08:45 PM

Hey Stinger,

It is me again. I found the BMI Calculator on the diet tab, right here!!! It is easier to use, so give it a try.

boiaby 08-02-2004 10:03 PM

I believe that your body will tell you when you get to where you need to be. I had originally set my goal for 150 lbs., which is a good healthy weight for my height (5'8"). But when I got there my body just decided I wasn't done yet and kept right on losing, albeit slowly, until I leveled out at 140, and then it stopped. So my advice is to set yourself a good, realistic goal and once you get there, re-evaluate to see if it needs adjusting or not.

Beverly

artist 08-03-2004 01:41 AM

Well, my first thought on this is that its just a number! The most important thing is how healthy and comfortable you feel......so I'm with Beverly on this one - set a ballpark goal to keep yourself focussed, and then worry about the detail when you get there. Personally, I think its more important to focus on the process of changing your lifestyle, than it is to get hung up about the scale!

Stinger766 08-03-2004 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not stuck on the #'s by any stretch of the imagination. I just wonder how realistic the h/w scales are. I don't think I know anyone that fits into those. My son's father is a little out of shape but I wouldn't consider him overweight but according to the h/w scales he needs to lose a minimum of 30 lbs. That seems crazy and unreal to me.

My thoughts are definitely like many others, I'll know when I feel good and what's right for me. I've already lost 10% of my body fat, which a little over 10 to go to be at the very top of the "normal" range, which would be fine with me.

Thanks again for the thoughts.