Old 06-17-2004, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Help with SALT/ Sodium

A few of us got into this on the salad poll thread and I think its worthy of its own thread. I am very interested in ways to break the habit of using salt on everything.

I wrote this in a previous post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salt is one area that I have problems with.. I was raised in a house that salt goes on everything.. What a terrible habit to try and break. I am a salt freak. I am so embarrased about it too. You know how some people hide smoking for fear that people will think they are "bad"? That's how I feel about using salt.. I have tried the substitutes... They just do nothing for me. I need help!! Anyone know of over salters anonymous? I've got to do something!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Here's what I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
Gretchen--I'm just like you on the salt. Now my parents cut out most salt a few years back when my dad's BP was really, really high. Now she rarely cooks with it and will salt her food and dad just flat doesn't eat it.
I've been cutting back. I know I will never give up my salt on baked potatoes, but a few foods I will eat without salting. It's weird because when I was PG I was able to give it up (except on my sliced tomatoes I craved) with no problems. Now I will at least take a bite or two of something and try to really enjoy the food before dousing it with the white stuff.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:26 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Gretchen, three words: Just do it. I'm not trying to be facetious or glib -- and I can completely relate to the love of salt -- I used to have a huge tolerance to it from using so much of it for so long. (Wasn't a family thing, it was a me thing -- I have problems with my esophagus from getting poisoned as a baby, and consuming lots of sodium helped me to swallow, as it makes you salivate more.)

I would not recommend low-sodium substitutes, as they don't reduce your craving for salt. You have to just go cold turkey, girlfriend, and get that monkey off your back! You just replace the salt with other flavors, and your taste buds adjust. I just cut out the foods that contained higher quantities of it, like bottled salad dressing (I make my own) and just simply do not add it to any food that I'm cooking. I buy salt free spice blends, like lemon pepper and jamaican spice, or liquid smoke with low sodium and more, and when I buy canned beans or chicken stock I stick to low sodium or no salt added. I avoid items with hidden sodium, like deli turkey -- I buy my own turkey breasts and cook it myself without salt. You get used to it pretty quickly, Gretchen....I swear. It took me like a week to stop missing it. It does require more work, because you've got to make a point of flavoring things to make them tasty, and you learn to get creative in setting yourself up for success. For instance, I love spicy things, like blackened fish or chicken, and I mix up a huge batch of a salt-free spicy blend and just douse my stuff with it. You can do it, Gretchen, I know you can! Think of all the other hurtles you've blown away! It's just a matter of deciding that it's something that you want to do, and once you start to act on it and make those changes, your tolerance for it decreases almost immediately. Once in a while I give myself a salty treat, like taco chips with salsa or something, and I find that I don't want to eat as much of it now, or, depending on what it is, I just can't stand how salty it is now. I swear, Gretchen, if I can do this you can.

Oh and I find that another thing that really helps me enormously is logging all my food in the software that I use, DietPower, so my sodium intake is one of the nutritional aspects that I track daily. FitDay is another option that is really popular, and you can monitor your sodium there too. (Although DietPower offers so much more, but that's another story entirely!)

Good luck, Gretchen! I know you can do anything you set your mind to, and so do you -- you've proven that to yourself already!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #4  

I don't like salt substitutes, either. So :P on that idea.

I was a salt lover. I had realized that one reason I loved (and craved) certain foods was because of the salt, and they weren't your typical suspects. For example, I adored a bowl of plain pasta (cooked with plenty of salt), with butter (salt) and parmesan (salt).

I'm on Jenny Craig. The entrees I purchase from them are a lot lower in sodium than any other packaged food I've ever seen, including things like Healthy Choice. So, when I started that program, I just resolved to not add extra salt to that food and try to learn to live with it. I still allowed myself a (moderate!) portion of salt on things like my vegetables. And let me tell you, it was tough. But, it's just one of those things you have to gut out, I think. And, there will come a day when you suddenly realize it's been a while since you missed the salt, and "normal" processed/restaurant food will taste too salty. When I was home for the holidays this past year, I fixed a dish for supper that I had invented years ago. It was made with packaged saffron rice mix, canned tomatoes, and canned chicken broth, along with fresh ingredients. I used low-salt tomatoes and used no additional salt, but beween the rice mix and the regular broth, and I couldn't eat it, while my family thought it was delicious.

So, I know that's not much help, except to say, yup, it's hard, and yup, you just gotta go through withdrawal, but it can be done. Whenever possible, buy low-sodium products and keep that salt shaker at bay. Use less salt than you think it needs to taste good, and then you'll be on your way!

As for substitutes ... for vegetables I find things that are acid help the best -- vinegar (and there are so many great flavors), lemon juice, etc.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 08:55 AM   #5  

Ok I am going to start this thing.. NO SALT! I will start with table salt since thats my biggest addiction (listen to me I sound like a drug addict!) I already put salt on my salad that I brought to lunch today.. This is going to be SOOO hard for me.. I am such a salt freak.. I know I can do it.. You all don't know how much salt I use though... geesh, I am embarrased to even tell... I used to put salt on my bread and butter!!! OUCH!-- I don't do that anymore... I love seasoned salt too.. oh my.. I am going to work on my game plan this weekend I will go to the grocery store and get some spices and start being creative I guess! Come monday I hope to be "table-salt" FREE! Thanks girls!!!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #6  
I climb mountains!

Aw, Gretchen, I'm really proud of you. I want you to make sure that you keep checking in here, because it's hard at first.....and those of us who have done it can really help you out. I'm here for you, buddy! (Or should I say, "I've got your back, sodium girl!"
Old 06-18-2004, 10:06 AM   #7  

Or salt shaker maniac.. All those descriptive terms would be fitting!!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:19 PM   #8  
Abby's Mommy

I dont know why, but I never really thought about using too much salt. But now that you all are talking about it I realize that we use WAYYY to much too. I season EVERYTHING with it while cooking, even things that probably dont need it. I want to stop using table salt, like Gretchen. I'll also cut back on using it when I cook.
----Sarah, do you have a recipie for that salt free spicy blend that you would be willing to share?
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #9  

Ok I can't really chime in here since I don't even own salt (I never use it on anything), but Gretchen I am proud of you for being determined enough to try to break the habit. Good Luck!
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #10  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanna B. Skinny
----Sarah, do you have a recipie for that salt free spicy blend that you would be willing to share?
Actually I do, strangely! I just threw it together but created a quick recipe for a friend who liked it and wanted to know how to make it but was cooking-challenged. Feel free to tweak it as you see fit!

2 tsp ground, pure red chili powder (I usually use 3)
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tbsp hot (preferably Hungarian) paprika
• 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 2 tsp dried oregano

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container in a dark, dry place. Makes 1/4 cup
Old 06-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'll join you on this gretchen and I too won't use any table salt (or season salt) next week either. I'm sure we can both do this.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #12  

Ok Dawnyal... Lets crack that whip baby!! Let's check in with each other every day on the progress... Thanks for buddying up with me on this.. I am gonna need it!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:14 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

Default Go Dawnyal and Gretchen!

Kudos to both of you for making up your minds to do this! Eliminating table salt is a wonderful first step, and I know you can do it! Woo Hoo!

Ok, ladies, now I'm going to be checking in here to keep track of your progress and lend support.....if you need anything at all, just ask! There are some wonderful, flavorful, satisfying substitutions for salt in preparing food, if you decide you want to tackle that now.

I'm excited for you two!
Old 06-19-2004, 09:57 AM   #14  

The great thing about developing a taste for minimal to no salt is that then you start tasting the FOOD more.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:11 AM   #15  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
The great thing about developing a taste for minimal to no salt is that then you start tasting the FOOD more.
I couldn't agree more!