Old 06-16-2004, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Awesome!!!!

So, my hubby and I have been experimenting with some other places to eat out every now and again.. We discovered the Applebees menu a few weeks back and tonight, we went to Ruby Tuesdays. Originally we went to Friendlys but the service and wait were entirely too long so we hopped skipped and jumped on over to Ruby Tuesdays, I saw they have low carb options stuff-- that doesn't really do too much for me because I am a calorie counter but I thought I could always opt for the salad or something more healthy. Low and behold... They have every single item on their menu broken down by calories/fat/carbs! EVERY MENU ITEM!! How awesome is that.. I knew where I was with calories and I had about 500 or so left for the day so I could pick items within the value!! I ended up getting a turkey wrap with a spring garden mix salad, light ranch dressing... I only ate half of it so I had a total of around 200 calories and now I have lunch for tomorrow. I am so happy these places are making the healthy choices more available to us. They probably always did but now I am just more aware! There are so many choices you can come up with starting with soup etc.. Its easy to calculate the ww points... TRy it
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Gretchen,

Where do you find the calorie info for different foods at different restaurants?

Thanks for your help.

Gayle
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:38 AM   #3  
Wife to 1 Mother of 4

Gretchen,

My stepmother graduated this weekend and we went to Bahama Breeze. I couldn't find the nutrition facts for anything. They didn't have it there so I had to guess-ta-mate how much everything was. The food was alright but I won't be going back. Now I was thinking about trying Weight Watchers. Have you ever tried it? If so is counting calories easier for you the counting points?
Reaferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

That is great!! If Ruby Tuesday's has all that information, I can calculate my points!! Guess I'll be visiting there!!!

I am a verteran calorie counter. But I have recently joined Weight Watchers because I was looking for more accountability. I am really enjoying it. I'd highly recommended it!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Gayle, At Ruby Tuesdays, they have it printed right on the menu for ALL items. I found that by accident just by going there. Applebees has the breakdown but only on the weightwatchers meal selections. I know you can look a lot of items up on the internet for most chain restauraunts. It seems like more and more places are listing these facts. Dairy Queen is on the internet.. I try and check the internet before I go anywhere that way I can plan my meal before I get there.

Rea- to answer your question about WW vs. counting calores.. I think both ways are excellent ways to lose weight. I commute about an hour to work each way so that doesn't leave me a bunch of time for WW meetings etc. Its the same principle though, you can eat whatever you like as long as you stay within your limits for the day. I met with a dietician to determine what limits I would set and then I just altered it up and down until I found what worked best for me. I do around 800-1000 calories per day which would equal out to be 16-20 points per day. (One point is roughly 50 calories give or take). I know there are some expert WW people in this group. WW is a nice program and I have done it.. I just can't get to the meetings etc and I am very discliplined this time so I was able to create my own plan and follow it at home. I suggest with whatever program you choose, keep a journal. It really makes you more aware of what your eating. Good luck to you! Looks like you are already doing pretty good!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That is great news. I don't think we have one of those around here. I too will go online and try and find food that is acceptable before eating out. I made the mistake of getting a wrap from Sonic before checking out the calories.
It had 539 calories, 29 grams of fat,29 g protein, 1035 mg of sodium, 5 g fiber
I could have saved almost 150 calories and 15 g of fat if I would have ordered it without the dressing. I just assumed (I know never assume anything) the ranch dressing would have at least been light since they are touting it as a lite/carb friendly menu. (In my mind since I went to Sonic I'm thinking for just 200 more calories and only 3 more grams of fat I could've enjoyed the chicken strip dinner)
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #7  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Yes they are getting a lot better about that. I just found out Bob Evans has all ther nutrition information on there site. They have a lot of stuff that you can get while on a diet. They also have a lot of stuff you can't get. But at least we are being informed now.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #8  

How wonderful that Ruby Tuesday's is doing that. I would love to see more eating establishments do the same.

Gayle, most of the popular places to eat have a website that has the nutritional value of their foods. Just plug in the name and do a search and it will come up. If you are on your way to McDonalds look at their nutritional facts and it really will deter you from over-eating. Most of their food is outrageously bad for you. I'm sure that can be said about most fast food joints.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #9  

Gayle, I eat out a lot, and decided that since this is part of my lifestyle I'd better have an eating plan to accommodate this. I don't count calories (I do low glycaemic index carbs, no sugar, low-fat, highish fibre), but I have a very good idea of what to eat and what to avoid.....ie plain grilled fish/meats, salad no dressing, pasta/rice avoiding creamy sauces, fruit for dessert is basically a good plan.....I tend to eat in local restaurants, not chains, so there's rarely any calorie or nutritional info, but I seem to have been OK taking this approach.
artist is offline   Reply With Quote