Old 06-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Crossroads...

I am a crossroads with my weight. Monday and Tuesday the scale read 304.5. That's 4.5 lbs up from my new years weight. I know I can do this. I have done it. But, I am not very good at being accountable to myself. Weight Watchers is the closest thing to what I like to do (count calories). But it has the added bonus of weigh-in's and group meetings. I MUST do something.

I plan on weighing in @ the Monday meetings, but am going tonight and starting. If i wait until Monday, that'll just give me 4 more days to "chow down". I'm done. It's today.

I am trying to recruit on of my friends to go with me, but I am going tonight no matter what!

I'll change my weight tomorrow and will go by the WW scale.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Way to go Sandi! Making a decision to not give up and to find something that keeps you accountible sounds like a smart move! Let us know how it goes!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

You can do it Sandi! I am proud of you for taking the step to start today!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #4  
Searching

(((((((((((Sandi)))))))))))))))

I hope WW gives you the support you need.
Thinking of you often,
Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for you, Sandi! Be sure to find a really good leader. It's make all the difference, I think.

You know, I started reading the Dr. Phil book because I was hoping for some insight into my eating patterns, particularly emotional eating and stuff like that. He's really done some good research into eating behaviors and patterns. Although I've lost a chunk of weight, I'd like to change the way I deal with food, and reading his book has made me think about my "relationship" with food.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

I bought his book too. I've already listened to most of it on tape, but I wanted the book. Can't seem to get going on reading it though.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #7  
2006 - Panda Remix

All the best to you Sandi

I also restarted WW 2 weeks ago - I believe it is a good sound diet that can be used to make lifelong changes.

There are currently a few of us who have formed a group on the WW 100lb club - so if you ever want to pop in, you will be most welcome! (But I'm not trying to 'poach' you! )

You can do it!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:05 PM   #8  
Crazy Canuck

Okay Sandi, you're shaming me into action. I'm starting anew too (although I've never stopped going to WW - thing is I've been paying weekly to see gains since Christmas!)

We've got the tools, now we just need the mindset to follow through. I KNOW we can do it! I guess this means no Chicago-style pizza and fancy cocktails at the end of the month. And I guess we'll have to make sure that when we attend "Taste of Chicago", that's all we do...TASTE!

I know I suggested this in private, but now I'm going public (one of those accountability things) - we'll take before pics in Chicago and then post new ones around Christmas and blow everyone away with our svelte, sexy bods!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

We can have Rum & diet Coke. a shot of rum is only 69 calories!!! i am willing to save my flex points!!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #10  
Abby's Mommy

Way to go Sandi! Im glad your back in here with us!!!!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #11  
Crazy Canuck

I'll stick to CC&DC thanks (Canadian Club & Diet Coke) @ 2 points per drink. I have no problem saving 6 points daily for that purpose

I just want to clarify my previous statement about gaining weight while attending WW. The sole reason I've gained weight is because I've been lax about adhering to program for the last few months. When I DO stay on plan I've been extremely pleased with my results (got a certificate for losing 100lbs. - thankfully they haven't asked me to return it yet) and I endorse the program wholeheartedly (even though I've belonged for almost 2 years and haven't run into the Duchess of York even once!)
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #12  

Oh Sandi, I KNOW you have this in you. We're all here for you.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #13  

Can I offer a couple of bits of advice?

First, I agree that the Dr. Phil book is pretty good about helping you understand the whys of your eating, and all the little things you can do to adjust your attitude and make changes in your habits and environment. Another book I like is Thin for Life. The author evaluated people who had lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off, and found all the things they had in common. It was a great shot in the arm for me when I got started, showing me that losing a lot of weight WAS possible, and that it was possible to keep it off. Naturally, it also has a lot of great strategies to share. There are a lot of other books I like, but I'll mention just one more: The Thin Books. This was written by a member of Overeaters Anonymous and contains some essential information for those of us who are (or think we may be) compulsive overeaters.

Second, I wanted to mention that there are other options besides WW if you feel it's just not exactly what you need. I did WW in the past -- twice -- and did OK, but always fell off the wagon and regained. That wasn't WW's fault, my head just wasn't in the right place. When, at the age of 39 and at well over 300 pounds I decided to try one more time to lose weight, I contemplated going back to WW, because I know it is a good program. But, the idea of group meetings, public weigh-ins, etc. left me cold. I knew I needed more individual attention, where the quality of my program wasn't dictated by how good the leader was or how well I related to the other members. I considered going to a registered dietitan -- there are several medical facilities in my area that specialize in weight loss, and they're not about drugs and gimmicks, just quality nutrition and counseling. But, before I did that, I decided to give another commercial program a try. So, I joined Jenny Craig. That was nearly 3 years ago, and I've never looked back. I've lost over 140 pounds to date and am still going strong.

I know a lot of people -- especially WW members -- are anti-Jenny Craig because of the packaged food. But, everyone finds things they like in the menu, there are plenty of ways to economize, etc. And, you only purchase entrees from them -- you still provide your own vegetables, fruits, dairy, etc. Also, you can start incorporating your own entrees as soon as you like (as long as you are still purchasing some entrees from them), and when you are halfway to your goal, you start weaning off the JC food and do several days per week on your own. It is a very sane, balanced program, and you certainly learn to deal with "real food" as early as you feel ready to do so. The reason I chose JC was that I get to meet one-on-one with a consultant for 20 minutes each week. I desperately needed that ME time, where I could talk about what I needed to talk about, and have someone pay attention and offer advice directly about my issues. It's been a godsend.

So, if you feel you could benefit from more individual attention, please consider Jenny Craig. They currently have a "20 pounds for $20" special so you can try out the program without committing to a full membership. Then, you purchase the food at your session each week, and when you've lost 20 pounds you can stop, or choose to buy a full membership to continue. If you want to learn more, go to the Jenny Craig website and check it out. Be sure and go to the message boards (in the etools area) and read what others have to say. It's a great community, and there's a board specifically for "Thinking About Joining."

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

good for you, sandi... and i'm sooo looking forward to this meeting!!!!

campari and soda for me. a little lemon.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #15  

Sandi,

congratulations on that big step!!! We're all here to cheer you on!

Hugs,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote