Old 05-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Introduction

Hey all,

I figured I'd introduce myself. I've actually been looking on the 3fatchicks forums/website for quite a few years, off and on. Right now I seriously need support and understanding of those in a similar situation.

For the past couple years, I have been so confused as what to do about my food. I was also diagnosed with PCOS as of last year. Recently, after a breakup with my boyfriend, I decided I need a serious change and to focus on me and my health needs.

I started slow a little over a month ago, with a change in diet towards the low carb nature. I have read a number of books from atkins, to protein power, to south beach diet. I really like the principles of the south beach diet, so I have included quite a few of them into my diet. I am working on eating lean meats, vegetables, whole wheat bread (lowest carb count I can find), legumes, dairy products (reduced fat preferred), nuts and also low carb shakes for eating on the run. I have lost 12 pounds so far since I started this latest diet effort, with a total of 26 lbs from my highest weight.

I also recently started adding exercise to my regime. I have exercised off and on over the years, but I tend to let myself slack off too easily. Almost a month ago, I badly sprained a ligament in my knee and possibly tore cartillage, though this made physical things very hard to do, I decided at that point that I need to work harder on exercising. I am going to physical therapy for my knee and also doing upper body weight training at the gym and limited lower body work. I can't really do cardio right now because of my knee, but that will come. I recently bought a bathing suit and will probably try taking an aqua class at the gym.

Anyway, that is me, I have been reading some of the posts here and I think you guys are a really great group.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

WELCOME!! WELOCME!! Glad to have you. It sure sounds like you are off to a great start!!! Look forward to seeing you in more of the threads!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #3  

Welcome Nelie!! We certainly have plenty of support to go around here. It's great that you have started an eating plan! You are off to a wonderful start.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #4  

Hey Nelie, welcome. Congrats on doing so well so far....sounds like you are off to a flying start. Hope the knee is bearing up...can you swim with it?? I'm a big swimming/aqua fan....
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:08 PM   #5  
2006 - Panda Remix

Welcome Nelie!

There is loads of support and advice here - so jump right in!

I know there are others here who suffer from PCOS and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Good Luck!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:53 AM   #6  

Hey nelie! I am newly diagnosed with pcos too and am learning more about it. I am currently taking spironalactone for my hair issues from the pcos. It sounds like you are off to a great start and your plan sounds similar to what I have followed for the last 14 months!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Welcome, Nelie! :wave:

Good job, Nelie, on picking such a warm, supportive group! This folks here are phenomenal when it comes to receptive, empathetic, sincere support. I know that the sense of community I feel here has played a really key role in my success in sticking with the positive changes I made.

In addition to some fellow PCOS folks here in this group, elsewhere there are some threads devoted to PCOS, so do a search if you haven't already, as you'll find additional support specific to it.

Nice to have you join us -- remember to read and post often!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Thank you guys for all your kind words.

I weighed yesterday and I was down another 3 pounds which really picked me up. Today, I woke up early to go to an aqua fitness class at my local Ballys. It was a lot more intense than I expected, so I think I'll definitely go again. I am glad that my Ballys rebuilt a brand new one gym near my house, complete with a pool.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Nellie! This is a great great group of people here. You are off to a wonderful start! Keep up the good work.. Good luck!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:06 AM   #10  

Hey Nelie
Congrats on the 3 pound loss - that is a fantastic start. Hey, and a brand new gym and pool close to your home.....now you have no excuses. Really gladd you enjoyed the aqua class, just keep going!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:39 PM   #11  
missaprylj

Congrats on the loss!

Welcome to the 100lb. Club. *cough*bestforum*cough*

Post often, jump right in!!! -Apryl
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 PM   #12  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome Nelie it's great to see you here.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:23 PM   #13  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

We really ARE great, if we do say so ourselves.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Welcome, welcome. Sounds like you are off to a good start and found a plan that works for you.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote